Can't Kill It!
By tallchris01 on
1995 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan
Replaced an older Camry with this car for it's reliability and rear seat legroom. I've had this car for 5 years/75K miles and it's 19 years old now. 216K miles on the clock. I've owned other cars that if you looked at them the wrong way they would break down. Not this one! I do all the basic maintenance myself. Running 100% gas I've done as good as 26mpg combined, and 29mpg hwy. Even on ethanol gas, I get 22mpg combined.
Favorite Features
A thankless workhorse that doesn't look too dated even though it's approaching 20 years old. Plenty of legroom for my 6'5" frame and tall kids in back seat. Every time I lust for something newer or nicer I quickly remember that my ownership of this car has been drama-free.
Suggested Improvements
I do my oil changes. The oil filter points down slightly, so catching the oil when changing the filter poses a bit of a challenge. Yes, I drain the pan first but there is still enough left over to cause a mess if I don't stuff a lot of rags or paper towels around the filter housing. The styling is plain vanilla, but at the same time it doesn't attract attention that I don't want anyway.