Used 1995 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

1995 Toyota Avalon

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Most Helpful|
Great Car!
By DNew

1995 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

I bought my Avalon at 116K miles and love it. It's extremely quiet on the inside and is nice and smooth. I get great miles from the pump. I sell cars for a living and have seen a lot of them. This is an amazing car for its price. I just got the oil changed and it feels like new. If you want an amazingly reliable car, get this one. Just be sure to keep up with the maintenance and this car will treat you well. I highly recommend getting one tho!

Favorite Features

Comfort, reliability, moonroof and overall performance.

Suggested Improvements

Could have better speakers. The tape player and cd changer also rattle a very slight amount.

It Just Works.
By W. D. Ward

1995 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

Bought this from a friend with 95,000 miles on the odometer. It has been the most reliable car I've ever owned. Aside from standard service, it has needed only an alternator. Everything has continued to work without much attention. Even the climate control continues to maintain its set temperature. The leather upholstery shows very little wear, and the rest of the interior shows only slight fading. The engine is strong and quick. The Avalon is agile for such a big car. Economy on the highway is 22 mph. City runs about 15 mpg. Even the finish looks good when waxed. No one suspects it is a 15 year old car.

Favorite Features

Engine power and reliability. Burns regular gas Factory stereo sound and range Regular size spare tire Huge trunk Outside temperature display.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing I can think of after all these years. Later models addressed most of the cosmetic concerns.

410K and still running
By tnt12

1995 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

Still running great. Getting ready to change the timing belt and maybe water pump, if needed. I am pushing for 500k by end of 2013. I drive about 50k/year.

Overall great car
By Patrick

1995 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

Bought mine with 111,000 miles in 2002. Only issue was at 125,000 miles, broken electrical sensor which tells it to shift into O/D. It now has 194,000 (June 2008) and still runs great. The left front cv joint should be replaced soon, but this is common on all FWD cars, right? Rear struts are a little noisy, but the rear tires wear normally. 27mpg average. 24mpg if I really push it. 30mpg for long highway trips at 78-80mph. Power and steering response are great. Several times at high speed, I've swerved to miss objects and never spun out. This car is almost impossible to lose control of, like a C172 for you pilots. Overall excellent buy worth the little extra $ up front.

Favorite Features

ECT power button for passing. Extremely excellent handling. Great gas mileage for a powerful luxury sedan.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Can't Kill It!
By tallchris01

1995 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

Replaced an older Camry with this car for it's reliability and rear seat legroom. I've had this car for 5 years/75K miles and it's 19 years old now. 216K miles on the clock. I've owned other cars that if you looked at them the wrong way they would break down. Not this one! I do all the basic maintenance myself. Running 100% gas I've done as good as 26mpg combined, and 29mpg hwy. Even on ethanol gas, I get 22mpg combined.

Favorite Features

A thankless workhorse that doesn't look too dated even though it's approaching 20 years old. Plenty of legroom for my 6'5" frame and tall kids in back seat. Every time I lust for something newer or nicer I quickly remember that my ownership of this car has been drama-free.

Suggested Improvements

I do my oil changes. The oil filter points down slightly, so catching the oil when changing the filter poses a bit of a challenge. Yes, I drain the pan first but there is still enough left over to cause a mess if I don't stuff a lot of rags or paper towels around the filter housing. The styling is plain vanilla, but at the same time it doesn't attract attention that I don't want anyway.