Used 1995 Toyota Avalon Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Just keeps going and going, in style
By P Berlie

1995 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

Can't beat this car. We bought ours new and have dropped 340,000 miles on it and it still performs like brand new. Great passenger room, ride and trunk space. Mileage has dropped slightly, but we still average 25 mpg and 28-30 on the highway. After a couple minor electrical issues under warranty have had no issues with the accessories either. The only issues I see are with suspension which we've replaced struts on once and will need to do again soon. I've reupholstered a drivers seat, but even the leather has held up well on this one. Have used this on a moderate daily commute and will continue to do so until it drops!

Favorite Features

Ride, performance and gas mileage for such a large vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Over engineer the stoutness of the suspension a little. The soft ride doesn't last that long

It Just Works.
By W. D. Ward

1995 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

Bought this from a friend with 95,000 miles on the odometer. It has been the most reliable car I've ever owned. Aside from standard service, it has needed only an alternator. Everything has continued to work without much attention. Even the climate control continues to maintain its set temperature. The leather upholstery shows very little wear, and the rest of the interior shows only slight fading. The engine is strong and quick. The Avalon is agile for such a big car. Economy on the highway is 22 mph. City runs about 15 mpg. Even the finish looks good when waxed. No one suspects it is a 15 year old car.

Favorite Features

Engine power and reliability. Burns regular gas Factory stereo sound and range Regular size spare tire Huge trunk Outside temperature display.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing I can think of after all these years. Later models addressed most of the cosmetic concerns.

206,000 mile Bang for the Buck!
By Seemyad

1995 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

What a car! I bought my Avalon used just over 100,000 miles. I have driven through the Rocky Mountains, Montreal Canada, hail, rain, sleet, snow, and perfect weather. I have driven from Fresno CA to Oklahoma City four times in one year. I have driven from Lincoln NE, to Fresno, to Biloxi Mississippi, to Washington DC, Burlington VT, to Montreal, Chicago (in that order). The 6 cylinders offer great response and 30 MPG on the highway. The ride is smooth. The car and trunk are roomy. It even carries a real spare tire! Reliable is an understatement. My dark green paint job looks great too! Great car for the $6500 I paid for it 5 years ago! Need a new O2 censor and my leather seat is worn.

Favorite Features

Ride (premium tires make a big difference), response, fuel efficiency, interior space, sun roof, real spare tire, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Updated rims (I still have the stock rims on my car). Cup holders (I purchased a dual cup holder that sits on the center floor under the dash board. Works great!).

Best Car Ever
By ToyotaAlways

1995 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

We bought our 1995 Avalon brand new and have driven it as our primary vehicle until two weeks ago when we bought a new Camry. We kept the Avalon as a second vehicle. The Avalon has been outstanding with only a couple of problems along the way (a timing belt and a u joint). We had to change brakes pads once, at 133000 miles and I've changed the belts once!! We've spent less than $1,500 in 14 years on fixes, which I think is great. Still gets 31 MPG. We purchased a like new (1994) Mazda B4000 LE pickup (actually a Ranger) at the same time, and it has been a disaster (replaced engine, transmission, 3 starters, etc.). We'll drive the Avalon until the wheels fall off. Oh, still looks new!

Favorite Features

Ride, looks, MPG, and reliability

Suggested Improvements

None

Adequate to Good car but not Great
By GotOptions ?

1995 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

Have had this car for 3 years and bought it with 85,000 miles on it and its now at 135k. It drives like a dream on smooth roads but bottoms too early on bumps and potholes. It corners and stops well, but I have had only 12 MPG in the city. I may check into that with mechanics. I am 6 foot 4 and its a full size vehicle with good leg room. Trunk is pretty large, and the interior buttons and functions are easy to use.

Favorite Features

Strong AC, good sound system, nice handling, nice large size and roomy, reliable starting, smooth acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Better rustproofing around windshield, suspension had to be replaced kind of early, exhaust needs consistent materials joints are bad and the mid pipe material but the catalytic converter and muffler are good quality, Better bump and pothole handling without bottoming out would be a good design.