1995 Toyota Avalon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:
278,000 mi & still drives great
By Dinah on 09/02/10 00:45 AM (PDT)

1995 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

Bought new in. '95. Like the trunk space to keep items out of sight. I'd like to get something newer, but hate to give up a good thing. Has a 12 disc CD player, not seen on any other vehicle. Needs a new drivers seat and the window gaskets need to be replaced as it is pretty noisy, these are cosmetic. The vehicle has been exceptionally reliable. Maybe I'll keep it 'till it hits 400,000 miles.

Just keeps going and going, in style
By P Berlie on 07/07/10 19:06 PM (PDT)

1995 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

Can't beat this car. We bought ours new and have dropped 340,000 miles on it and it still performs like brand new. Great passenger room, ride and trunk space. Mileage has dropped slightly, but we still average 25 mpg and 28-30 on the highway. After a couple minor electrical issues under warranty have had no issues with the accessories either. The only issues I see are with suspension which we've replaced struts on once and will need to do again soon. I've reupholstered a drivers seat, but even the leather has held up well on this one. Have used this on a moderate daily commute and will continue to do so until it drops!

It Just Works.
By W. D. Ward on 05/14/10 17:26 PM (PDT)

1995 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

Bought this from a friend with 95,000 miles on the odometer. It has been the most reliable car I've ever owned. Aside from standard service, it has needed only an alternator. Everything has continued to work without much attention. Even the climate control continues to maintain its set temperature. The leather upholstery shows very little wear, and the rest of the interior shows only slight fading. The engine is strong and quick. The Avalon is agile for such a big car. Economy on the highway is 22 mph. City runs about 15 mpg. Even the finish looks good when waxed. No one suspects it is a 15 year old car.

Best Car Ever
By ToyotaAlways on 04/08/09 19:00 PM (PDT)

1995 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

We bought our 1995 Avalon brand new and have driven it as our primary vehicle until two weeks ago when we bought a new Camry. We kept the Avalon as a second vehicle. The Avalon has been outstanding with only a couple of problems along the way (a timing belt and a u joint). We had to change brakes pads once, at 133000 miles and I've changed the belts once!! We've spent less than $1,500 in 14 years on fixes, which I think is great. Still gets 31 MPG. We purchased a like new (1994) Mazda B4000 LE pickup (actually a Ranger) at the same time, and it has been a disaster (replaced engine, transmission, 3 starters, etc.). We'll drive the Avalon until the wheels fall off. Oh, still looks new!

Adequate to Good car but not Great
By GotOptions ? on 02/16/09 10:52 AM (PST)

1995 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

Have had this car for 3 years and bought it with 85,000 miles on it and its now at 135k. It drives like a dream on smooth roads but bottoms too early on bumps and potholes. It corners and stops well, but I have had only 12 MPG in the city. I may check into that with mechanics. I am 6 foot 4 and its a full size vehicle with good leg room. Trunk is pretty large, and the interior buttons and functions are easy to use.

Love my Avalon
By Linda on 12/10/08 19:34 PM (PST)

1995 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

I bought the Avalon with 14k miles on it through auction and have LOVED it ever since. Now has 215,000 miles on it, gets 26-28 mpg, runs smooth, quiet, and is a classy drive. Passengers like the big back seat, lots of trunk space, carries 6 when needed (bench seat), can't say enough about what a great car this is. I spent a little extra to get really nice sound system installed by Toyota. I use good gas and religiously change oil/filter and have checkups when due. Toyotas are the best and this Avalon is their pearl.

Overall great car
By Patrick on 06/25/08 17:37 PM (PDT)

1995 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

Bought mine with 111,000 miles in 2002. Only issue was at 125,000 miles, broken electrical sensor which tells it to shift into O/D. It now has 194,000 (June 2008) and still runs great. The left front cv joint should be replaced soon, but this is common on all FWD cars, right? Rear struts are a little noisy, but the rear tires wear normally. 27mpg average. 24mpg if I really push it. 30mpg for long highway trips at 78-80mph. Power and steering response are great. Several times at high speed, I've swerved to miss objects and never spun out. This car is almost impossible to lose control of, like a C172 for you pilots. Overall excellent buy worth the little extra $ up front.

Great Car!
By DNew on 06/04/08 20:24 PM (PDT)

1995 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

I bought my Avalon at 116K miles and love it. It's extremely quiet on the inside and is nice and smooth. I get great miles from the pump. I sell cars for a living and have seen a lot of them. This is an amazing car for its price. I just got the oil changed and it feels like new. If you want an amazingly reliable car, get this one. Just be sure to keep up with the maintenance and this car will treat you well. I highly recommend getting one tho!

216,963 and still running!
By Adam on 03/30/08 05:03 AM (PDT)

1995 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

Great car! Reliable! I bought it with 133,000 miles and with the same engine and everything, it has 216,963 on it. Just keep getting oil changes every 3,000 miles and your set. The transmission didn't have any mess in it when I changed the filters. Perfectly clean!

Very reliable at 178,000 miles
By Dave Wallace on 08/19/07 15:43 PM (PDT)

1995 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

Overall this has been very reliable. Minimal time at the shop. Still runs great at 178,000 miles. It has never left me stranded and still runs great. I've been amazed by the reliability. Still running on original alternator, water pump, and fuel pump. No transmission or engines problems. Most dependable car I've owned.