2016 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Sedan Consumer Reviews - 7 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon Hybrid model:

Everything I was hoping for...
By jbmd

2016 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Sedan XLE Premium 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Was somewhat torn between a lightly used BMW or other similar "luxury" car vs something like a Prius since I do a lot of long, easy drives and, despite low gas prices, still want to get great gas mileage. However, when we saw our tiny local Toyota dealer had an Avalon XLE Premium Hybrid in the colors we liked online, we decided to check it out. My wife and I were blown away by this car - yes the BMW 328 AWD was more "fun" to drive, but this thing holds its own in Sport mode. We got a great deal just just over invoice and, with $2500 cash back, was not much more new than BMW with 30k miles and less features (and also requiring premium gas, a pet peeve of mine). In my first month of driving I have done over 2k miles and have been averaging 42 mpg - I did the calculations myself and the trip computer was spot on, since I don't always trust them.... Unlike one of the other reviews, I really like the black exterior and mixed tan/brown/black interior, a nice change from the all black or grey interiors I have had before. The car looks sharp and my buddies who have volvo and lexus find it sweet as well. Huge backseat compared to other cars, but doesn't look like a "boat". Only negatives thus far- the navigation is the worst I've used, but that wasn't a dealer breaker anyway. And for the interior, the shiny chrome gets fingerprints everywhere, but just a minor annoyance. Would recommend without reservation.

2016 Toyota Avalon hybrid Limited
By seth leeds

2016 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

A Lexus without the crooked-L and without spending over $50,000.00. So far, great! Ask me again in a few months for follow-up. Still has that brand new car smell. The controls can be confusing, but I'm an old guy (just over 65 if you have to know). My early-30's son and girlfriend love it too, but it definitely isn't a car they would actually buy (not cool nor powerful enough for them). Lots of neat stuff that we are still trying to figure out. Best we've ever bought, and the most expensive too. Beautiful and a hybrid!

My new Avalon
By NEAL BAUMWART

A comfortable Sedan. Very quiet on the road. Plenty of power, but not a racer.

Better Than Expected!
By David M.

This is out third hybrid from Toyota as first we had a Highlander Hybrid, a Prius, and now the Avalon Hybrid. I have been driving it for about three months and I am rather pleased to say the least! When we bought the Highlander, the mileage was rated higher than it should have been until the EPA lowered it shortly after our purchase as 27/24 was more realistic and obtainable. The Prius was tough to get to 50 mpg as we live in a hilly area in Michigan and between that and the weather the smaller power plant fought for mpg. The best was 54 mpg in Ohio and the worst was 42 in deep snow as the average was probably year around about 46.5. I stated all this as my expectations for the Avalon Hybrid needed to be realistic to be happy with the purchase. I am 6 tank fulls in and averaging approximately 38.5 mpg. Considering I do not baby it much driving and the hilly area, I am quite pleased. The ride is comfortable and quite as you are up to speed and don't know it half the time. As another reviewer stated, I know I will own this one for a long while as I drive almost 50 miles each way to work and visit a lot of family out of state. Oh, and yes as the other reviewer stated, get the limited model!

Wanted to Love it!
By Suzie Goodewyfe

Seats are too firm in the Limited trim level. Head restraints are too intrusive. Back seat is not for the claustrophobic. Poor visibility, especially for rear passengers. "Almond" Interior color scheme is an incongruous hodge-podge of black, yellowish leather, and tan mixed and matched materials which tends to detract from the calming, well-thought out space one expects in a upper level, semi-luxury vehicle. Handling and cabin comfort are the strong suits of this model, as is the stellar fuel economy. Safety and technology features abound and work well. This car scores well on so many fronts, but in the final analysis the poor visibility and seat comfort, along with intrusive head restraints all combine to kill the deal for this long-distance traveller.