2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon Hybrid model:
Great Gas Mileage For A Big Car
By malps1 on 10/01/14 11:15 AM (PDT)

2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Sedan XLE Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've had the Avalon hybrid for 5 months. So far, the gas mileage has been decent, but with the a//c on, the mileage is less than advertised. The navigation system is ok but not as feature driven as some. For example, if I want to know the nearest Walgreens, it does not allow me to enter that as search criteria. However, it does work well with a normal address. The volume of the voice is changeable with nav setup. The ride is comfortable with lots of legroom in the back. The Entune system is good, except it uses a lot of battery power from my phone, so I don't use it. In ECO mode, the car provides enough power for normal use, and with it off, it is quite fast.

2 months and 3,500 miles
By mynewavalon on 09/12/14 07:29 AM (PDT)

Over all we love this car. Roomy sedan front and back with lux finishes. The trunk is smaller than non- hybrid big sedans but very respectable. Actual mileage /per gallon is truly impressive. Our friends with Lexus are envious. The chrome bezel on the dash is a negative when the sunlight hits it just right. Toyota could easily fix that. This car does not offer the softest ride on a bad road, as has been noted. However, we are city drivers with fairly frequent extended long distance freeway trips. Not an issue.

2014 Avalon Hybrid - Caveat Emptor
By avalon_owner on 06/20/14 19:42 PM (PDT)

2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

There's a lot to like about this car, but don't buy one. I test drove it, and thought the ride was a little stiff, but acceptable. I've been driving it for a month now, and each day the harshness of the ride becomes more annoying. Every rut, crack and bump on the road is telegraphed through the chassis. You'll hear every road imperfection and feel it in your feet on the floor and through the seat. On a rough road, you'll be thrown around like a rag doll. The longer you ride in it, the more horrible it becomes. Toyota at least owes us an apology for the terrible suspension. But they really owe us a recall and repair of this abomination.

Nice step-up
By skipjack47 on 04/24/14 11:14 AM (PDT)

After driving a Camry Hybrid for almost 4 years, I find the move to the Avalon Hybrid a nice step-up. The Camry was a very good, very reliable car for me and I got good value on the trade-in. The Avalon is more luxurious, and has a smoother ride, and slightly better fuel economy. I am finding that with the car not quite broken in yet, my Avalon is getting very close to the EPA mileage estimates. I do not understand the comment about "grabby" brakes. Contrary to the test review, I have found Toyota has done a good job of integrating regenerative braking with normal braking. The new Avalon has improved on this aspect of performance.

Deficiencies - annoying
By tedtnj on 04/05/14 11:19 AM (PDT)

NAV system is primitive compared to my five year old TomTom™. There’s no 3D, there are no traffic light cameras and there is no display of current speed limits. Programming the NAV is tedious. In seven years the NAV system has moved ahead one year in its development [see below]. Further, the NAV system voice even at the lowest level #1 is much too loud; and there is no way to lower the volume, save disabling all sound. It is far louder than my 2007 Toyota Avalon Limited at sound level #1. There is a plastic chrome bezel around the instrument cluster. When sun hits the bezel, it is most distracting. Dealer team says that’s the way it is…Ugly situation.

Great car
By rob260 on 03/09/14 15:39 PM (PDT)

I've had the 2014 Avalon XLE Touring Hybrid for about three weeks now. I'm really enjoying the vehicle so far. The fuel efficiency has been as advertised for the first 1000 miles. I've done a mixture of highway and city driving and have been averaging just below 39 mpg according to infotainment system. This vehicle fit my needs perfectly. I needed a daily driver that was really fuel efficient but had the space I needed to haul kids and sports equipment on the weekends. Check and check for this Avalon. It's pretty impressive to have a large sedan get this fuel efficiency and provide a large trunk and rear passenger space. The hybrid option was a no brainer for me.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Sedan in VA is:

$136 per month*