Used 2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 15 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid

View reviews for a specific Avalon Hybrid model:

42 MPG!
By Monte Howell

2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Great reliable car. I traded for a 2007 MB350 so the ride is a little stiffer, but acceptable. Can't beat the 42 mpg for a full size sedan!

Beauty
By Jackie Stratton

2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Best Review Ever
By Curnow

Comfort, size, economy, all exactly what I wanted!

Minor issues, but I love this car
By Charles Smith

2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE Premium 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We purchased our Avalon in December, 2013. It is reasonably comfortable for a guy my size (6'5") and very quiet, especially in windy conditions. I also appreciate the stability in windy conditions. I am a fuel economy guy and try to drive to get the best economy--avoid jack rabbit starts, and keep my speed near the speed limit. On the subject of fuel economy, I am very impressed. The city mpg is a little less than advertised, but for a reason. The hybrid works best when the car is warm. We can drive anywhere in my town in a mile, and on our typical trip to the grocery store the computer will typically indicate 35-36 mpg going.
Fifteen minutes later we are back in the car, the engine a little warmer and our mpg will be over 40, only because the engine is a little warmer. The return trip is also slightly uphill. Our highway mpg is most impressive. I have hand calculated as high as 46 with a very strong tail wind. We occasionally make a 300 mile round trip to go shopping in central Wyoming. We typically have a tail wind and the computer registers about 45 on the front end of the trip with a tail wind, and will read 42-43 by the time we return home back into the wind. We have found when we hand calculate mpg the computer most frequently overestimates by about one mpg, although we have been 2-3 miles off on the minus side and plus one or more occasionally. But again, an overall average would be one mile per gallon more on the computer reading than actual hand calculated mileage. On my most recent trip I did not reset my computer when I filled and put about 1000 miles on in a couple days, over one mountain pass and in variable conditions, much of it driving 80 on the interstate (unusual for me), and the computer indicated about 42 for the entire trip. I remain very pleased with the economy of my Avalon.
On the negative side, my first trip out of town I drove on I-80 for 150 miles and had my windshield and paint damaged by road sand left over from the previous storm. That was very revealing because I realize the finish is very thin and easily damaged. I am very disappointed with the paint and would expect a better quality paint job using more than just the bare minimum amount of paint to cover it.
Would I buy it again? Probably. The paint is almost a deal killer, but I am overjoyed with the hybrid fuel economy.

Uncomfortable Drivers Seat
By Kadena

I have a 2014 Avalon Hybrid XLE Touring. The drivers seat is too firm and not enough padding for me. I took the car to a reputible upholstery shop and had additional foam padding added to the driver's seat. It is very comfortable now.