2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Avalon Hybrid model:

Disappointed in Toyota
By ceodale

2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have purchased nothing but New vehicles since 1969 - this Toyota is the worst. I actually had the Service Dept admit that Toyota knew of a manufacturers defect in the Headliner but fails to disclose it. 4 months after buying it the headliner around the sun roof came loose. Toyota first wanted to tear apart the car, keep it for a week and install a new one. Then they concocted a 'fix' with a magnet that lasted 4 more months. After waiting 12 days for the parts to arrive from 3M Toyota decides not to honor it and to insist on taking out the seats, disconnecting all the electical and such and installing a new headliner. What's next? Never again a Toyota. They need to buy the car back.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage is very good, pretty much as stated.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a heated steering wheel, rear sun shade is very chincy looking, navigation and electronics are difficult to understand and of course the construction defects Toyota knew about but failed to disclose is a serious issue.

Great Gas Mileage For A Big Car
By malps1

2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've had the Avalon hybrid for 5 months. So far, the gas mileage has been decent, but with the a//c on, the mileage is less than advertised. The navigation system is ok but not as feature driven as some. For example, if I want to know the nearest Walgreens, it does not allow me to enter that as search criteria. However, it does work well with a normal address. The volume of the voice is changeable with nav setup. The ride is comfortable with lots of legroom in the back. The Entune system is good, except it uses a lot of battery power from my phone, so I don't use it. In ECO mode, the car provides enough power for normal use, and with it off, it is quite fast.

Favorite Features

Power seat and lumbar support Seat comfort Gas mileage Ride comfort Blind spot monitor

Suggested Improvements

Allow the steering wheel to extend more toward the driver.

2 months and 3,500 miles
By mynewavalon

Over all we love this car. Roomy sedan front and back with lux finishes. The trunk is smaller than non- hybrid big sedans but very respectable. Actual mileage /per gallon is truly impressive. Our friends with Lexus are envious. The chrome bezel on the dash is a negative when the sunlight hits it just right. Toyota could easily fix that. This car does not offer the softest ride on a bad road, as has been noted. However, we are city drivers with fairly frequent extended long distance freeway trips. Not an issue.

Favorite Features

We got the blind spot monitoring on our Touring. It is wonderful feature. We also have the mirror and seat memory. I am 5'6" and my husband 6'2". We love this convenience. This car is so quiet. One of main reasons for purchase. big back seat for our occasional passenger friends who are 6'4"+.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the glare issue from the chrome bezel trim on the dash. Toyota really should look into improving the suspension to soften the ride for those drivers that live in towns with poor streets or who wish to take the car off the regular highway. If you do not secure the gas cap properly there is a "check engine" light / alarm that is activated and the car must go to service to be reset???

2014 Avalon Hybrid - Caveat Emptor
By avalon_owner

2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

There's a lot to like about this car, but don't buy one. I test drove it, and thought the ride was a little stiff, but acceptable. I've been driving it for a month now, and each day the harshness of the ride becomes more annoying. Every rut, crack and bump on the road is telegraphed through the chassis. You'll hear every road imperfection and feel it in your feet on the floor and through the seat. On a rough road, you'll be thrown around like a rag doll. The longer you ride in it, the more horrible it becomes. Toyota at least owes us an apology for the terrible suspension. But they really owe us a recall and repair of this abomination.

Favorite Features

This vehicle is quite quiet The keyless entry is pretty cool. I'm getting just about 38 mpg in mixed city and highway driving.

Suggested Improvements

Toyota has to recall all versions of 2013 and 2014 Avalons and provide a repair to the suspension that will provide a ride that, at a minimum, surpasses that of a Tibetan ox-cart. You won't notice how brittle this is at first, but over time you'll come to hate this vehicle. Until they do a recall and improve the ride, don't purchase a 2013 or 2014 Avalon, especially one with 18 inch wheels. (At least the hybrid has 17 inch wheels.) This vehicle represents some of the stupidest engineering you'll ever encounter in an automobile.

Nice step-up
By skipjack47

2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After driving a Camry Hybrid for almost 4 years, I find the move to the Avalon Hybrid a nice step-up. The Camry was a very good, very reliable car for me and I got good value on the trade-in. The Avalon is more luxurious, and has a smoother ride, and slightly better fuel economy. I am finding that with the car not quite broken in yet, my Avalon is getting very close to the EPA mileage estimates. I do not understand the comment about "grabby" brakes. Contrary to the test review, I have found Toyota has done a good job of integrating regenerative braking with normal braking. The new Avalon has improved on this aspect of performance.

Favorite Features

I like the ride. I really like the interior. People who buy Avalons are not buying a sports car, and should not expect sport car handling. That said, this car is pretty zippy and responds well on curves. I like the fact that I am able to get very close to the EPA estimates for mileage on this car. This is my first car with a back up camera, and I must say, I like that feature. I also really love the radar-adaptive cruise control. It really works!

Suggested Improvements

The nav system seems a generation behind. It relies on user pre-set speeds to predict ETA, unlike modern Garmins which use a combination of speed limits and predictive intelligence. It also lacks some of the mapping detail of modern Garmins & TomToms. Unlike the comments of another poster here, I did not find it hard to program, in fact, once I got used to it, I found it in some ways easier to program than my Garmin Nuvi.