2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon Hybrid model:

Very Uncomfortable Seats. Stay Away!
By Richard Hastings

2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE Premium 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is supposed to be a luxury car and I bought it thinking it was. After a few hours from leaving the dealership I started having back and sciatic pain. None of my other cars cause this problem including a Mini-Cooper, a Mercedes, and 2 old British Sports cars! This car is nearly un-drivable for me as-is and I dread long drives in it. Luxury car my butt! I am extremely disappointed in Toyota. I have had several others and was a loyal customer.

Pretty but painful
By Jeff

2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

If you are considering the current generation of Avalon - PLEASE read this and all reviews before purchasing. I drove my last vehicle for nearly 11 years before selecting the Avalon Limited Hybrid and was really planning that this vehicle would last as long - my conclusion after nearly 20,000 miles in the last 8 months is that the car might last but it won't be with me. The good - the car is beautifully styled, gas mileage is awesome for a car this size and the interior look is just really nice to be inside. Unfortunately that's about where the good ends - here are the negatives that I think you should consider before purchasing. First, ride comfort, EVERY person that has driven or ridden in my car has complained about the seats - front and back. They are dreadfully hard - an extra feature in the drivers seat is a nice lump that rests between your butt bones - I hope you are catching the sarcasm because I'm laying it on thick. The driver and passenger seats both feel as though there is a baseball tucked under about 3/4" of padding right in that spot.

Incredible value
By Scott Campbell

2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I'm too obsessed with value to buy new when there are so many great-quality used cars out there traded in by the perfectionists who have to have new, or perfect, or both. I gave a test drive to a barely-used 2014 loaded ES 300h and a similarly almost-new 2014 Avalon Limited Hybrid, loaded with the technology package, the Qi wireless charger, and a few other goodies. While I love the look and the ride of both sedans, I almost went for the Lexus but in the end chose the Avalon. Why? Two basic reasons: 1) The cars I drove were virtually identical, but $5,000 more for the Japanese-built version (with identical basic engineering) just didn't make add up to $5,000 more in value, 2) I preferred the ease of use in the Avalon's touchscreen interface to the point and click operation of the Lexus. While I might acclimate to the joystick, my shotgun passengers might not. I don't love the stock tires on the Avalon (Bridgestone Turanza; they grip fine but seem to transmit excessive road noise) but a new set of tires can easily remedy that. After 2,000 miles of use, including an 800 mile road trip, I am completely in love with the car's ability to provide a quiet, very comfortable, composed ride with sure handling and minimal sound intrusion into the cabin, and it has delivered an astounding 41.4 mpg according to the car's computer (yes, yes, I know from previous experience that Toyota tunes them about 2 mpg high . . . nevertheless, even 39 mpg is unreal for a car with this curb weight). The Toyota Entune interaction with my iPhone, Bluetooth and such apps as Pandora are all relatively easy to learn . . . and I am my fifties, not my twenties. I also find the capacitive controls for the climate control and other systems easy to use and not a nuisance as others have noted. It isn't perfect: 1) despite the paint protection film, the car only has 14,000 miles and the paint has a few small but deep road wounds down to the bare metal that I need to have addressed; 2) you can't input a new address to the nav system while the car is in gear --maybe with voice command i could do so?), and 3) road noise is minimal, but not coffin-quiet. But hey, come one . . . I didn't pay 60 grand for an LS 460, I bought a used Toyota. For my money, I think I got one hell of a value--very satisfied customer here.

Disappointed in Toyota
By ceodale

2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have purchased nothing but New vehicles since 1969 - this Toyota is the worst. I actually had the Service Dept admit that Toyota knew of a manufacturers defect in the Headliner but fails to disclose it. 4 months after buying it the headliner around the sun roof came loose. Toyota first wanted to tear apart the car, keep it for a week and install a new one. Then they concocted a 'fix' with a magnet that lasted 4 more months. After waiting 12 days for the parts to arrive from 3M Toyota decides not to honor it and to insist on taking out the seats, disconnecting all the electical and such and installing a new headliner. What's next? Never again a Toyota. They need to buy the car back.

Gas mileage is very good, pretty much as stated.

Needs a heated steering wheel, rear sun shade is very chincy looking, navigation and electronics are difficult to understand and of course the construction defects Toyota knew about but failed to disclose is a serious issue.

Great Gas Mileage For A Big Car
By malps1

2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've had the Avalon hybrid for 5 months. So far, the gas mileage has been decent, but with the a//c on, the mileage is less than advertised. The navigation system is ok but not as feature driven as some. For example, if I want to know the nearest Walgreens, it does not allow me to enter that as search criteria. However, it does work well with a normal address. The volume of the voice is changeable with nav setup. The ride is comfortable with lots of legroom in the back. The Entune system is good, except it uses a lot of battery power from my phone, so I don't use it. In ECO mode, the car provides enough power for normal use, and with it off, it is quite fast.

Power seat and lumbar support Seat comfort Gas mileage Ride comfort Blind spot monitor

Allow the steering wheel to extend more toward the driver.