This is not your grandpa's Avalon
By rjjarvis on
2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
The redesign of the Avalon for 2013 converts it from essentially a rock-solid dependable geezermobile to a rock-solid dependable vehicle that appeals to people of all ages. It is flat-out gorgeous inside and out, the paint colors are incredible, the build, fit and finish amazing. The leather interior, formerly vague-looking and spongy, is now edgy and supple. The car really gets about 40 mpg on a dependable basis if you drive in Eco mode and aren't a leadfoot. It has an absolutely cavernous rear seat space, and all of the controls and features are ergonomic and well thought-out. This car, completely redesigned from the ground up, is an absolute triumph of industrial design.
Favorite Features
Beautiful leather interior. Well integrated and designed audio/bluetooth/nav/satradio. Incredible paint job. Drop dead gorgeous front and rear. Very well designed keyless entry, lock and start. Amazing gas mileage--this is a very large car to be getting anywhere near 40 mpg.
Suggested Improvements
It's true about the "vague feel" of the electric steering. The car doesn't have the road feel of my bmw 540i, but of course it is not a sport sedan (although it looks like one). Also, I wish they had paired the electric motors with a 6 cylinder gas engine, as in my Highlander Hybrid, instead of a 4 cylinder. Yes, I know the gas mileage would suffer somewhat, but the six would be smoother, far more powerful, and less buzzy. I think it should at least be an extra-cost option. I also think at this price all of the versions should have xenon lights.
By kingira
on 05/01/13 11:40 AM (PDT)

I can get over 40mpg without being in Eco mode.

By dallasmavs
on 05/21/14 19:11 PM (PDT)

I am getting only 35mph, and I do not have it in eco mode, I will try to drive in eco mode and see how it goes. so far I am excited about the car, disappointed with mileage.