Almost Perfect Sedan: Long Range Machine!
By sonomabear on
2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
Other than 2 interior minor problems due to cheap materials, this car has been perfect! I average 39+ MPG without babying it. I leave it in "Eco" mode unless in the mountains -- then I put it into "Sport" mode and have a great time shortening the winding roads! "Normal" & "EV" modes are worthless. Why I left Mercedes E Class: The limited Avalon has more safety features tan Mercedes even offers yet is over $20K less out the door. Front facing RADAR makes driving extremely comfortable. I arrive relaxed after a few hours of California Interstate Insanity... set the RADAR cruise to 75 MPH and have satellite music playing softly. Six thousand mile trip was flawless.
Favorite Features
1. RADAR Cruise Control -- a life saver 2. Blind spot monitoring -- absolute necessity 3. Rear cross traffic (& backup camera) reduce the chances of parking lot disasters. 4.The most livable interior for long distance days. 5. 37+ MPG at 85 MPH across Texas 6. 40 +/- MPG all day, any day, anywhere 7. Excellent integration of electronic systems -- but a steep learning curve!
Suggested Improvements
Quit using cheap plastic interior components to save three cents and two ounces... 1. My headliner separated from roof in two places. No parts to be found! 2. Driver's seat back panel failed when both cheap plastic catches (should be metal) failed after two weeks. 3. What's with no updates to the Navigation Map? Brand new car delivered in June 2013 has a year old map from June 2012. As of 1/17/14 there is no update available -- and they want to charge me when it arrives! 4. Voice commands are VERY slow to operate -- please let me tap the screen instead of listening to this idiotic lady!!!