Love my Car
By jtavalon on
2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
I went to the dealership planning to buy a Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE, but left with the Avalon hybrid instead. This 2013 Avalon hybrid kept catching my eye. It looked so good! I drove the Camry Hybrid, but the interior/exterior design was so plain I just couldn't take it. When I got into the Avalon Hybrid, I fell in love with it. It was sexy, classy, had an EXCELLENT sound system, and a sporty ride. I am worried about mpg. I have 250 miles on it and seem to averaging about 30 mpg in the city. I hope the mpg is lower because it is cold and I run the heat a lot. Still better than any non-hybrid on the market for city driving (except the Volkwagen diesel).
Favorite Features
Bluetooth connectivity. I can play the music from my phone on the car's stereo through Bluetooth as well as make calls from my phone's phonebook on the car's panel. Sound system in the Touring is AWESOME. Love the smartkey. I never take the key out of my pocket to open/lock the door or start it up. I LOVE the different modes. Sport mode gives the car power for faster acceleration. It makes the car very responsive to the slightest touch of the accelerator. I use EV mode when I am around the corner from my house or driving in parking lots. But the car goes into electric mode often when I'm not paying attention. Noticed that fuel economy increasing the more I drive it.
Suggested Improvements
There is a slight rattle from the speakers on the door panel when certain songs play. There have been some mild hiccups with the bluetooth connectivity. When I am playing music from the phone and then want to make a call, but the music keeps playing in the background at a lower level. I wish it showed how much gas I've used instead of cruising range. There is no connectivity when I use Bing. I need to return to the dealer to get a tutorial on Entune. Better gas mileage than what I am getting. Like I said, I hope that is because it is very cold and I am running the heat a lot. Car goes into EV mode often when I do not have the heat on or when the car is more warmed up.
By kevinlbacon
on 03/28/13 20:43 PM (PDT)

I had the slight rattle issue on the front left speaker. It was not very loud and it only happened on certain songs. I took it back to the dealer and after a couple rounds of them saying there's nothing wrong, they finally heard it and added some foam in the door and hasn't been an issue since. Regarding mileage, i found the car continue to get better mileage over the first 1500 miles. Eco button should definitely help as well. I try to keep the tachometer-like instrument at the very high end of the dark green Eco area which allows the engine to shut off and you can get 45-50 mpg in city. You can maintain speed up to about 40 MPH. Not sure what the Bing issue is. Bing is not very useful to me though. I love the pandora and iheartradio though.

By wcascrs
on 02/03/13 07:27 AM (PST)

You mentioned "I hope the mpg is lower because it is cold and I run the heat a lot." There should be an 'Eco' mode button and if you use that with heat on it should help out with city fuel economy, short trips, and starting off with cold engine.

By wcascrs
on 02/03/13 07:33 AM (PST)

Assuming your Avalon hybrid has 'Eco' mode button, it helps a lot in heavy, stop and go traffic. If I'm speeding up and have to brake too much, just hit Eco mode and it mellows out the gas pedal. Sport or Power mode (in Prius) is great for merging onto highway from stop at metering light.