Best Toyota I've Owned
By jsaldana on
2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
My first car was a 78 Celica and I've had Toyota's ever since, this is the best of them. Great style, great design, excellent quality throughout, great mpg, great value if you cross shop Lexus, BMW, or Infinity. Keep the car in eco mode and you'll get 40+ mpg. Switch over to Sport mode if you need some kick, not a sport sedan but still entertaining. I went looking for a hybrid when my commute doubled, tried Prius, Camry, Lexus ES300H, Ford C-Max & Fusion, the Avalon has the best balance of comfort, luxury, handling and fuel efficiency. I paid more than I was planning but worth every penny. I expect to keep this car for 15+ years so the cost per mile is well worth it to me.
Favorite Features
Love the style, the technology and the efficiency. The Adaptive cruise control and adaptive high beams are well sorted and really work. I have had auto dimming rear view mirrors before having the side mirrors also be auto dimming is a plus. The blind spot monitoring system gives an added level of safety, especially when backing out of a parking spot. I wasn't convinced by the ventilated seats before purchase but they have added a level of comfort to the drive. The traffic alerts and Navigation system traffic highlights have saved me frustration as I was able to take alternate routes before getting stuck in traffic. All the technology is actually fairly easy to use and worth the cost.
Suggested Improvements
The rain sensing wipers still need sorting out. They work but seem to change speeds randomly. I think the next Avalon should get the Lithium batteries for even better efficiency and longer EV times, maybe even a plugin Avalon. Manual shift mode in the eCVT Hybrid could use some additional explanation. Seems more of a sales gimmick than a useful option. Would love better steering feel from the power steering system and a bit less boost. The hybrid brakes also need sorting out as the transition from regen breaking to physical breaking is not intuitive and requires more driver attention than necessary.