A Lexus in Toyota Clothing?
By robsis on
2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
What an amazing car. My wife and I took our '11 Avalon in for service and drove out with the '13 Hybrid. We drove Prii and the Camry Hybrid and there was no comparison to the Avalon Hybrid. Smooth, quiet (quietest car I've driven at 70/75!), handles much more securely than the '11, lots of room, great job on the interior making it both inviting and sporty. We were concerned about the CVT trans and the power and boy were we proven wrong. Not as strong as the V6 but pretty darn close. Transition from gas engine to electric is seamless and no 'rubberband' feel like on many CVTs. . Visibility is excellent. Overall a superb upgrade to the previous model and an excellent upscale sedan!
Favorite Features
The Hybrid system makes this car. Sure, the re-designed exterior and interior are fantastic and make you feel like you are in a Lexus; however, the integration of the Hybrid Synergy Drive into this size vehicle getting you the performance and mileage is amazing. We've gotten 38-42 MPG on the first few tanks, and only see this getting better as the vehicle breaks in. And don't forget that this is basically a full size sedan! Secondly, the vehicle is QUIET! Wow. We thought our '11 Avalon was quiet. This one rivals any car I've ever been in. Also love the reverse radar that senses vehicles driving behind you when backing out. We also found the vehicle was inexpensive to insure, an added plus!
Suggested Improvements
Entune is a good concept; however, doesn't play well with iPhone 5. I've struggled to get many things to work and there is little help on the internet (or from Toyota, who say they are 'working on it'). Voice commands are restrictive and don't work as well as other vehicles. I hope they fix this (all of Entune), as it is the one thing about this car that I wanted to work well that doesn't. Also, the touch sensitive buttons work OK, it's just that they are so sensitive that if you accidentally brush one while going to another things can get exciting-like suddenly having a car interior go to 90 degrees! Another minor beef is the Entune screen. The angle's good but the sun can wash it out.