2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE Premium Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Wow what a decision
By 62impala1

2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

So....after waiting 14 years to purchase a new car, I finally made the decision to buy my first Toyota ever. I still have my Honda Accord (2000) with 167,000 miles on it. Still running well. I looked at Mercedes, Audi, BMW (albeit not in great length due to price) Lexus, VW, Acura, Honda (again), and yes even the Chevy (Cruze). After careful consideration, I chose the Limited Avalon hybrid. Even after making the decision to go with the Avalon, I gave each one of the above mentioned cars another shot at my garage. lol. However time and time again, the Avalon hybrid kept coming up the winner. I would like to say that one of the above's came close, but in reality, the Hybrid out did them

Favorite Features

Took the car for only 5 or 6 blocks, and soon as I took the car off the lot, I knew that all the vehicles I had been considering were in a lot of trouble. Favorite feature...hmmm..good question; # one on the list is Gas milage; Quiet ride would rank towards the top as well. The style of the headlights/tail lights.The fact that there is not one of these on EVERY other street intersection is a BIG plus. (how many of the above cars do you see almost every other car?) + the fact the color combination I chose will not be seen everyday for sure. Love the lines, this car is really "either you like it or you hate it"..but whatever..I obviously like it. Cooled seats, rear sunshade, etc...etc..

Suggested Improvements

hmm...well I will start by saying..that the thigh support could extended another couple of inches (as I am over 6' 1"...I am still comfortable, just not VERY comfortable. hey I have to be honest right? lol. I think with every new model, the next year or two later will have the improvements, and that would include some refinements to the exterior. Over all though..this is a Toyota, and as I mentioned before, I keep my cars for a very long period of time. So far I have only 47 miles on the car. Beautiful car over all. So very glad on my decision, I have been looking for over 3 + years. As the say Patience is a virtue. WOW what a decision!! Great pick. My exterior color??? Shhh. lol.

gas milage
By lowden

2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The hybrid avalon is rated to get 39to 40 miles per gallon.I have 4000 miles on my new hybrid.The first 2500 miles I averaged 33.5.on interstate at 75 mph.The last 1000 miles I averaged 34.5 at 59mph.It is not worth the extra money.

Now this is an Avalon
By dshann

I fell in love with the 2013 Avalon after my first test drive. My dealer did everything they could to sell me one. When my wife and I got a chance to test drive the Hybrid, we were Prius people, and the Hybrid Avalon fixed everything that we wanted improved. You would never believe you were driving a hybrid until you use the brakes and you hear that hybrid whine. The mileage so far exceeds EPA numbers (GM, Ford ??). The ride is very solid and quiet but you can feel rough pavement. You can select the instruments and features that you want displayed. The seats are very firm, but you can drive for hours in perfect comfort. This car is 4 grand less than a Lexus and it looks and works way better.

Favorite Features

Blind Spot Monitoring and Rear Cross Traffic Alert is a must have. The interior is well designed, super quiet, and so comfortable. A lot of car for the money. The build quality of those red blooded Americans workers in Frankfort, Kentucky is outstanding.

Suggested Improvements

The Electronic Ride Control System in the Prius V would have been an additional treat.

Welcome to the 21st Century!
By jkunkle

2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

"Traded in an '08 Acura MDX for my new 2013 Avalon Hybrid Limited and three days later I'm still high with exuberance that I don't expect will wear off anytime soon. Let me qualify myself as a motorhead from the age of five, car guy all my life, even retired from a lifelong career in automotive. This car is the most unbelievable, technological achievement I've ever witnessed come from an auto manufacture that is reasonably affordable and luxuriously useful and super economical. I could write a book on it's attributes ranging from luxury, comfort and pleasantness as a people mover. Yes, it's true what you might have read, that the Avalon is better than it's Lexus cousin.

Favorite Features

The electronics including the nav/media as well as the radar system, the only option available on the limited make this car seem far more expensive than it is. I thought I'd miss the growl of 300 hp on premium fuel, shifting through a 5sp sequential trans mission with SH-AWD and sport suspension, blah, blah, blah! I love driving this thoroughly modern hybrid with no gears and power steering so light I can use my finger ... it's perfection, like being on a magic carpet ride! It's actually quicker up the freeway onramp than the 15/20 mpg MDX was. My first 95 miles averaged 42.9 mpg ... settling into regular short cold eng trips and I'm averaging 38 mpg!

Suggested Improvements

I honestly can't think of one thing to improve on this car.

Limited Avalon Hybrid review (Lexus es300h compared)
By jxanders

2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I started the Hybrid sedan research 3 months ago. I decided on the Lexus es300h - I put the deposit and ordered the car with the features I wanted. During the 3 week wait for the Lexus I saw the Avalon Hybrid online. During lunch I decided to go take a look, but didn't have time for a test drive. The exterior comparison was about the same for me; almost the same side profile look. The front & back of the car is different, but I liked both the same. The Interior was the difference maker. The Avalon just felt better and the controls made more sense. Plus the fact with the Limited Avalon model compared to the Lexus had more features than the Lexus and was $4500 cheaper!

Favorite Features

Plush and comfort of the Leather seats. Controls are very accessible and easy to use. Most of all, the smooth ride & quite cabin - it is more quite than the Lexus es300h hands down!

Suggested Improvements

The options for the touch screen are 'beep' on or turn it off. You can't turn the beep sound down or change the sound, that would be nice.

Why buy a Lexus anymore?
By kconlon

2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE Premium 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car is phenomenal – simply put it is the smoothest, quietest ride I’ve tested in the last year, including Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Lincoln and yes, Lexus. If you're in the market for any of these, stop and test drive the Avalon before making your final decision. Our test drive so impressed we immediately eliminated Audi, BMW, Mercedes from consideration. Even the base model oozes comfort and confidence. So, to us, the final decision was between Lexus, Lincoln (we waited for the new MKZ's release) and Avalon. After the MKZ came out, we made our decision, and it was really pretty easy. So, forget about your preconceptions about Toyota! This begs my opening question, why buy a Lexus anymore?

Favorite Features

It's hard not to gush about the quiet cabin - it's the best, with beautiful styling with superb fit and finish. The overall effect is totally solid! Toyota has created a beautiful car using a wonderful combination of materials with complementary colors and textures that are aesthetically pleasing to both the driver and the passenger. Comfort abounds with heated leather seats and other amenities that make this car perfect for the commute and the cross-country drive. Add the standard sunroof, sound system and electronic display layout that feels driver-centered without overwhelming, and you’ve got a winner that delivers on the promise of efficient gas mileage with Toyota hybrid technology!

Suggested Improvements

I'm surprised at the lack of marketing. With the hype that Ford and Lincoln are using to push their hybrids (now sued for their claims of 47 MPG), I found this car by accident. I wasn't even considering the Avalon due to previous versions’ stodgy appearance. While out looking, we saw a sharp looking car at our local dealership. Curious, we stopped to look. Imagine my surprise when I realized I was looking at a new 2013 Avalon! The test drive sealed the deal. Less than 2 months later purchased ours (we did our due diligence and waited just long enough to see the Lincoln MKZ hybrid which we immediately eliminated). Simply put, the Avalon beat them all on luxury, mileage performance and price!

Wow, prepare to be impressed
By magicbill

Just traded wife's 2005 Acura TL w/Navi for the Touring edition Avalon Hybrid. My first wow was the price we acutally paid was only $3500 more than what we paid 8 years ago for the TL. The Avalon is so much more sophisticated and so well executed. Small side note is that the owner's manual is a must-read (there are so many small items available on this model) and is actually well-written and organized. Even during first week of operation it is easy to see vehicle will likely live up to EPA rating. Toyota gently seduces you into becoming a fuel-efficient driver and supports that conversion with a sophisticated hybrid drive system. Love the ride, the quietness, spaciousness and hybrid.

Favorite Features

Love the fact that there are virtually no options on the Hybrid, only three different trim levels. The Touring Edition is well-equipped and included the must-have navigation system that my wife relies on. I am impressed how intuitive the controls are. Even some functions that need a little initial explanation are easily remembered once they are initially understood.

Suggested Improvements

Rain sensing wipers as a stardard on all levels of the Avalon would be a nice touch similar to having leather seating standard on all models. A car with this level of luxury would also benefit from powered tilt and telescoping steering wheel. As yet we haven't discovered any other "wants"

first luxurious car that does not break the bank account
By marcftn

2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I tested Mercedez c300, audi 4, bmw, lexus. I was ready to buy the lexus HybridES 300 when my toyota dealer called me to try the Avalon. I could not see the difference between the lexus and the avalon. Smooth drive, great acceleration, comfortable. I bought it with all the options. what a beautiful luxurious car. So far on highway i get 38.5 miles per gallon. did not go to boston yet to check the city mileage. I am very pleased and saved a few bucks on the purchased too.

Favorite Features

interior design, blind spots, dynamic cruise control.

Suggested Improvements

Small trunk. could be bigger but the hybrid battery does not allow it.

Love my Car
By jtavalon

I went to the dealership planning to buy a Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE, but left with the Avalon hybrid instead. This 2013 Avalon hybrid kept catching my eye. It looked so good! I drove the Camry Hybrid, but the interior/exterior design was so plain I just couldn't take it. When I got into the Avalon Hybrid, I fell in love with it. It was sexy, classy, had an EXCELLENT sound system, and a sporty ride. I am worried about mpg. I have 250 miles on it and seem to averaging about 30 mpg in the city. I hope the mpg is lower because it is cold and I run the heat a lot. Still better than any non-hybrid on the market for city driving (except the Volkwagen diesel).

Favorite Features

Bluetooth connectivity. I can play the music from my phone on the car's stereo through Bluetooth as well as make calls from my phone's phonebook on the car's panel. Sound system in the Touring is AWESOME. Love the smartkey. I never take the key out of my pocket to open/lock the door or start it up. I LOVE the different modes. Sport mode gives the car power for faster acceleration. It makes the car very responsive to the slightest touch of the accelerator. I use EV mode when I am around the corner from my house or driving in parking lots. But the car goes into electric mode often when I'm not paying attention. Noticed that fuel economy increasing the more I drive it.

Suggested Improvements

There is a slight rattle from the speakers on the door panel when certain songs play. There have been some mild hiccups with the bluetooth connectivity. When I am playing music from the phone and then want to make a call, but the music keeps playing in the background at a lower level. I wish it showed how much gas I've used instead of cruising range. There is no connectivity when I use Bing. I need to return to the dealer to get a tutorial on Entune. Better gas mileage than what I am getting. Like I said, I hope that is because it is very cold and I am running the heat a lot. Car goes into EV mode often when I do not have the heat on or when the car is more warmed up.