Used 2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Sedan Consumer Reviews - 45 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon Hybrid model:

Great car....Great fuel economy
By Robert Galardy

2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Sedan XLE Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Owed our Avalon Hybrid for a little over 2 years. Quiet, comfortable, and great road manners. Acceleration could be better, but our last car was a Mercedes E class. It was fast, but got about half the miles per gallon that the Avalon gets. No problems in two years and I don't expect any. We owned a 2000 Avalon and drove it 140,000 miles with one $250 repair. Our new Avalon averages 38 mpg in local driving in the summer. About 4 less in the winter. Highway driving averages about 42 mpg. Couldn't be happier with our Avalon.

GREAT CAR ! Minor Concerns
By johnnj3

2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Purchased my 2013 Limited Hybrid in December. Now have a little over 9k miles. The mpg is definitely as advertised. It gets better after the break in period. Just did a round trip from New Jersey to Boston and averaged 40.5 mpg. The
controls on the dashboard are extremely sensitive. It takes some getting used to. Over a period of time I learned to adapt.As others have stated, the ride can be a little harsh. However, this does not diminish my overall satisfaction with the vehicle. I would highly recommend it. Going into my third year I feel it is still a great car. Nearing 30k miles. MPG is diminished by the cold weather gas mix here in New Jersey by about 8 to 10%. However, it is still very good. No issues mechanically.

Fantastic car - one year update
By hayguy

After owning this car for one year and 16,000 miles I I must say it is the best car I have owned. I have owned many cars.
Among them Corvette, Lexus, Mercedes, and several BMW's and although each has their own claim to fame the Avalon hybrid Limited overall is the best. Comfort, quietness, interior and exterior styling and quality, handling, power and features, and best of all mileage put this in its own league.
I consistently meet or beat EPA mileage estimates even at freeway speeds of 80 mph plus. I can easily travel for several hours without stopping and in complete comfort.
My next car in three or four years will likely either be another Avalon hybrid or the Lexus variant.

I have come to really like the adaptive cruise control and find the side and rear warnings very helpful especially in parking lots. The automatic high beams features also works well. I have adapted and become comfortable with the navigation system and find it every bit as reliable as previous Garmin Nuvi's although there are features the Garmin has that would be nice to have -- e.g. speed limit and altitude information, and better ETA calculation.

The only thing I kind of miss is heated steering wheel in the winter. It would also be wonderful if all wheel drive were offered as an option. That would take the qualms out of fowl weather driving conditions that we experience in the northwest.

Toyota another winner
By woodsink39

I have been buying Toyotas since late nineties gave up on American iron. I love this car it is great! Wanted a hybrid and luxury this covers all the bases.
The ride is excellent the interior is plush and quiet outside is aggressive and has presence. The fit and finish is top notch and was a great value. Shopped around several luxury brands Mercedes, Lexus, BMW and infinity. None could come close to the included items and luxury for the cost.
The ride is supple and quiet acceleration is adequate for any driving situation. I commute 40 miles
each way and use a mix of highway and mountainous secondary roads and this car eats it up with ease. All this and I avg 38 mpg. Would recommend highly!

Entertainment system, Plush interior, navigation, quiet ride.

None

Best value for the money
By s19g27

2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Sedan XLE Premium 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased my 2013 new in October 2013 and
just made in through the toughest winter in over 100 years with flying colors. MPG slips in cold weather but once the car heats up 42mpg+ is HWY average at about 70mph, sometimes more. To get optimum mileage a break in period is needed and then use cruise control whenever possible. I expect this car to last 500,000+ miles but not with 10,000 miles per oil change. I do that every 5000 miles now and may drop that to every 4000 miles which with the battery often pulling the car drops that even more. If you want it to last that long, you must change the oil more frequently. Absolutely the best engineered car in the industry today.

Radio is great, lane-changing warning is a good option, FWD is the only way to go in Northern climates.