Used 2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon Hybrid model:

Best Kept Secret - The New Avalon Hybrid Limited!
By cd7

2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is my first hybrid. I am loving the 40+ MPG I am getting!! This is amazing. The safety extras like cross traffic, pre collision, 10 air bags, etc. are great. I am getting spoiled on the warnings for backing up and changing lanes. This car is comfortable and roomy in the front and the back seats. Love the technology package, and the wireless charger! Love the heated and ventilation seats. Love the leather everywhere. It's an awesome car! I like the tighter drive. I believe they are attracting young drivers too. I had some 20-30 year olds stating they loved how this car handles, and were thinking about buying one. And my parents who are older love it! Best kept secret out there! Luxury!

Love the average 40+MPG!!! Love the tech package!!! Love all the luxury and bells and whistles this car offers!!! Love the safety features!!! Love the roominess!!! Love the looks interior and exterior. It looks and feels sporty and is luxurious for a full size sedan. Love this car!! Awesome. Impressive.

I would suggest two extra cup holders in the back - maybe in the doors. Adding USB connection in the back would be nice. Careful on deep dips in the road and going fast - the front is low and may scrape.

Almost Perfect Sedan: Long Range Machine!
By sonomabear

Other than 2 interior minor problems due to cheap materials, this car has been perfect! I average 39+ MPG without babying it. I leave it in "Eco" mode unless in the mountains -- then I put it into "Sport" mode and have a great time shortening the winding roads! "Normal" & "EV" modes are worthless. Why I left Mercedes E Class: The limited Avalon has more safety features tan Mercedes even offers yet is over $20K less out the door. Front facing RADAR makes driving extremely comfortable. I arrive relaxed after a few hours of California Interstate Insanity... set the RADAR cruise to 75 MPH and have satellite music playing softly. Six thousand mile trip was flawless.

1. RADAR Cruise Control -- a life saver 2. Blind spot monitoring -- absolute necessity 3. Rear cross traffic (& backup camera) reduce the chances of parking lot disasters. 4.The most livable interior for long distance days. 5. 37+ MPG at 85 MPH across Texas 6. 40 +/- MPG all day, any day, anywhere 7. Excellent integration of electronic systems -- but a steep learning curve!

Quit using cheap plastic interior components to save three cents and two ounces... 1. My headliner separated from roof in two places. No parts to be found! 2. Driver's seat back panel failed when both cheap plastic catches (should be metal) failed after two weeks. 3. What's with no updates to the Navigation Map? Brand new car delivered in June 2013 has a year old map from June 2012. As of 1/17/14 there is no update available -- and they want to charge me when it arrives! 4. Voice commands are VERY slow to operate -- please let me tap the screen instead of listening to this idiotic lady!!!

Great car; questionable mileage claims
By scott_k

2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Sedan XLE Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Love the comfort and surprisingly peppy engine (outside of eco mode). Controls are ok, certainly better than our Lexus hybrid with the mouse set-up. Nice and quiet; handles well for a luxury car. Nice design and lines; much more modern than all previous Avalons. Have just 1,800 miles on the car, but don't ever approach 40 or 50 MPG as some reviewers have. I suggest you do the math, and not believe the car calculations. Heated seats heat up quickly and hot; and I like the ease of the climate control system. Stereo is average.

Comfort. Quietness.

Cheap materials on glove compartment and other storage areas. I would like to be able to listen to the radio when I shut down the engine. Right now, I have to turn it all off, and then turn the power back on. Perhaps I simply don't know how to do this.

Fantastic car
By hayguy

My history of five BMW's, two Lexus's, one Mercedes added a 2013 Avalon Hybrid Limited with the tech package. I have put 9,000 miles on it since June and it is probably the best car I have owned. It is very stylish inside and out, luxurious, quiet, quick and very frugal on fuel. On a recent trip to Mesa. Az, the Kanab, Ut. to Mesa leg with speeds from 75 to 90 yielded an actual mileage of 38.2 MPG. Passing on the two lane roads was amazing. Accelerating from 70 mph and pulling back into lane over 100 mphÂ…with a hybrid! This car does not lack for power! In Blizzard Pearl the car receives constant compliments and people often stop me to ask questions about it. What a car!

The Technology package is a bargain. Side and rear warning, adaptive cruise and auto dimming headlights are very useful features. The HID headlights on the Limited are excellent. Mine also came with the excellent Michelin tires instead of the Bridgestones. That saved me money having to change them myself. I also really like the induction cell phone charging -- after buying the required Qi sleeve for my iPhone.

Two things this car needs and in this segment should have: heated steering wheel and an unlocked navigation system so that a passenger can program it while in motion. The latter issue is long overdue for Toyota. An even better solution would be for Toyota to buy and install the far superior Honda/Acura navigation system in their cars.

Toyota surprised me Completely!
By bimmer18

2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Sedan XLE Premium 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Well I have to confess that after driving BMW and Audi for the last 16 years and I still love bimmers. I have taken a real shine to my Toyota Avalon Hybrid. I purchased mine in June 2013 and funny things is I went to the dealership to test drive a Toyota Highlander Hybrid. I had been researching Hybrid vehicles and SUV's for a couple months and was convinced that Toyota had the most robust and reliable Hybrid technology on the market. (True Statement). I have receivied several compliments on my my avalon and so far, its been quite, efficient, reliable, and pleasant to drive. Very Impressive Toyota! Buy one and you'll think twice on BMW, Audi, & Lexus. 42.9 so far ! Fantastic !

The Hybrid technology !

I really wanted to Limited but did not want to spend the extra funds for that upgrade. I already had rear view camera and bluetooth. The BIGGEST disappointment are the halogen headlights because this should be STANDARD on whichever trim you decide to buy especially at this price point. *** Toyota Change That Now *** You build excellent automobiles, don't skim on safety requirements. HID lighting is mandatory in this day and time!!!