2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon Hybrid model:
Fantastic car - one year update
By hayguy on 07/15/14 20:29 PM (PDT)

2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After owning this car for one year and 16,000 miles I I must say it is the best car I have owned. I have owned many cars. Among them Corvette, Lexus, Mercedes, and several BMW's and although each has their own claim to fame the Avalon hybrid Limited overall is the best. Comfort, quietness, interior and exterior styling and quality, handling, power and features, and best of all mileage put this in its own league. I consistently meet or beat EPA mileage estimates even at freeway speeds of 80 mph plus. I can easily travel for several hours without stopping and in complete comfort. My next car in three or four years will likely either be another Avalon hybrid or the Lexus variant.

Toyota another winner
By woodsink39 on 04/23/14 16:20 PM (PDT)

2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have been buying Toyotas since late nineties gave up on American iron. I love this car it is great! Wanted a hybrid and luxury this covers all the bases. The ride is excellent the interior is plush and quiet outside is aggressive and has presence. The fit and finish is top notch and was a great value. Shopped around several luxury brands Mercedes, Lexus, BMW and infinity. None could come close to the included items and luxury for the cost. The ride is supple and quiet acceleration is adequate for any driving situation. I commute 40 miles each way and use a mix of highway and mountainous secondary roads and this car eats it up with ease. All this and I avg 38 mpg. Would recommend highly!

Best value for the money
By s19g27 on 03/29/14 07:38 AM (PDT)

2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE Premium 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased my 2013 new in October 2013 and just made in through the toughest winter in over 100 years with flying colors. MPG slips in cold weather but once the car heats up 42mpg+ is HWY average at about 70mph, sometimes more. To get optimum mileage a break in period is needed and then use cruise control whenever possible. I expect this car to last 500,000+ miles but not with 10,000 miles per oil change. I do that every 5000 miles now and may drop that to every 4000 miles which with the battery often pulling the car drops that even more. If you want it to last that long, you must change the oil more frequently. Absolutely the best engineered car in the industry today.

First Hybrid and loving it!
By chanchu1 on 03/09/14 14:04 PM (PDT)

I was skeptical at first, but as many have stated, Toyota has been making hybrids for quite some time. Every person I know that owns a Toyota hybrid raves about their vehicle. That was the convincing point for me. The vehicle is comfortable, stylish and gets the MPG advertised. We commute 180 miles daily. Owned and commuted with a 2013 Accord that was very reliable but extremely uncomfortable. So far, our new Avalon has exceeded our expectations...

Best Kept Secret - The New Avalon Hybrid Limited!
By cd7 on 02/08/14 13:45 PM (PST)

2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is my first hybrid. I am loving the 40+ MPG I am getting!! This is amazing. The safety extras like cross traffic, pre collision, 10 air bags, etc. are great. I am getting spoiled on the warnings for backing up and changing lanes. This car is comfortable and roomy in the front and the back seats. Love the technology package, and the wireless charger! Love the heated and ventilation seats. Love the leather everywhere. It's an awesome car! I like the tighter drive. I believe they are attracting young drivers too. I had some 20-30 year olds stating they loved how this car handles, and were thinking about buying one. And my parents who are older love it! Best kept secret out there! Luxury!

Almost Perfect Sedan: Long Range Machine!
By sonomabear on 01/17/14 14:29 PM (PST)

2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Other than 2 interior minor problems due to cheap materials, this car has been perfect! I average 39+ MPG without babying it. I leave it in "Eco" mode unless in the mountains -- then I put it into "Sport" mode and have a great time shortening the winding roads! "Normal" & "EV" modes are worthless. Why I left Mercedes E Class: The limited Avalon has more safety features tan Mercedes even offers yet is over $20K less out the door. Front facing RADAR makes driving extremely comfortable. I arrive relaxed after a few hours of California Interstate Insanity... set the RADAR cruise to 75 MPH and have satellite music playing softly. Six thousand mile trip was flawless.

Great car; questionable mileage claims
By scott_k on 12/11/13 11:49 AM (PST)

Love the comfort and surprisingly peppy engine (outside of eco mode). Controls are ok, certainly better than our Lexus hybrid with the mouse set-up. Nice and quiet; handles well for a luxury car. Nice design and lines; much more modern than all previous Avalons. Have just 1,800 miles on the car, but don't ever approach 40 or 50 MPG as some reviewers have. I suggest you do the math, and not believe the car calculations. Heated seats heat up quickly and hot; and I like the ease of the climate control system. Stereo is average.

Fantastic car
By hayguy on 12/08/13 13:50 PM (PST)

2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My history of five BMW's, two Lexus's, one Mercedes added a 2013 Avalon Hybrid Limited with the tech package. I have put 9,000 miles on it since June and it is probably the best car I have owned. It is very stylish inside and out, luxurious, quiet, quick and very frugal on fuel. On a recent trip to Mesa. Az, the Kanab, Ut. to Mesa leg with speeds from 75 to 90 yielded an actual mileage of 38.2 MPG. Passing on the two lane roads was amazing. Accelerating from 70 mph and pulling back into lane over 100 mph…with a hybrid! This car does not lack for power! In Blizzard Pearl the car receives constant compliments and people often stop me to ask questions about it. What a car!

Toyota surprised me Completely!
By bimmer18 on 12/06/13 05:09 AM (PST)

Well I have to confess that after driving BMW and Audi for the last 16 years and I still love bimmers. I have taken a real shine to my Toyota Avalon Hybrid. I purchased mine in June 2013 and funny things is I went to the dealership to test drive a Toyota Highlander Hybrid. I had been researching Hybrid vehicles and SUV's for a couple months and was convinced that Toyota had the most robust and reliable Hybrid technology on the market. (True Statement). I have receivied several compliments on my my avalon and so far, its been quite, efficient, reliable, and pleasant to drive. Very Impressive Toyota! Buy one and you'll think twice on BMW, Audi, & Lexus. 42.9 so far ! Fantastic !

New to hybrids, bringing the average buyer's age down :)
By blueste on 11/24/13 08:59 AM (PST)

After considering everything from Passat, to Accord to BMW I ended up with the Avalon Touring Hybrid. I really wanted to get the new Accord Hybrid. However, there were several issues for me…trunk space is horrible, engine revs are hard to get used to, availability and only MSRP available right now. Plus it's a new system and who knows what reliability will be. Now, on to the Avalon Hybrid…I love it so far. Interior is sharp, hybrid drivetrain is smooth, Toyota has been building hybrids for a long time now so I expect this to be very reliable. I do, however, see them making a switch to Lithium Ion technology in the near future. For now, we have the "tried and true" nickel metal hydride.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid in VA is:

$136 per month*