Used 2014 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews - 14 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Toyota 4Runner SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Happy purhase!
By Leah

2014 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 Premium 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my 2014 4Runner SR5 Preimium recently to replace my '97 4Runner (upgrade purchase). Really have enjoyed the new car. We considered the 2016 but found little to no difference in features and driving from the 2014. My car obviously was used but was still under warranty (30k miles). The radio and clock had to be replaced entirely- voice control was poor, and some non functioning buttons on radio, and the clock lagged a bit. But it was under warranty so was free for us. Overall, we have really enjoyed owning it and love the features like steering wheel buttons, heated seats, 8 settings on driver seat, roomy, sunroof, back window slides down, 3rd row seat, 2nd row reclines and sides fwd or bckwd, plug outlet in very back, and more!

It's a beauty!
By William Robert

2014 Toyota 4Runner SUV Trail 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Attention to detail inside and out. The KDSS is awesome and the thing drives like a sedan. The trail edition is packed with every off road gadget you'll ever need for camping trips to the desert or mountains. Love the aggressive styling. I smile every time I drive it.

Good ride quality for truck based SUV.
By Tyler

2014 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I shopped the 4Runner against a G. Cherokee (unattractive/low quality interior), Pathfinder (superb ride quality but felt too much like a car - CVT transmission also a no-go - google Nissan and CVT and see what I mean), and Explorer (a little bland) and the 4Runner won out for superior styling, fit and finish, and third row seat. I've had it since August of 2014 (~15k mi.) with no significant problems. I did have to have the navigation system program updated by the dealer who performed this service free of charge and promptly. It has ample power (I rarely tow but it is up for the job), decent acceleration and relatively good fuel economy for a SUV. I average just over 18 mpg in largely city/suburb driving but it doesn't go up much on the highway if you have a heavy foot in particular. Mine is two wheel drive but I'd take it anywhere any other 2wd in the class may venture and then some. Good ground clearance (running boards are suggested if for looks if nothing else) and traction control performs well in light off road duty. Sharp truck. I was also sold on safety when my wife pulled across the path of a police dodge charger with push bar and under 2k miles and the impact totaled it but not her 2010 Highlander that were it not for a busted radiator and blown tire probably could have been driven away.

I love this vehicle, except...
By Angela Mac

2014 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The windshield tint or glass causes eye strain, dizziness & headaches on long trips or when commuting daily. I loved everything about this car so much the first 3 months I owned it until I began commuting an hour to work every day and realized that there is something about the windshield that extremely bothers my eyes. My local dealership had a technician drive it and they agreed that it seemed to have a warp to it that made his head hurt while driving it. They replaced it with another factory glass windshield, but it continues to bother me and they say that there is nothing left they can do. I never would have noticed it had I not been driving it so long everyday. Around town or short trips seem completely fine. Other than that it's an amazing SUV that I really love driving! Much roomier than the older 4runners inside. Can't wait until I can get this issue fixed or Toyota recalls the windshield!

Fail from Toyota
By Chris Simmons

2014 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Multiple trips back to dealer. Radio/Nav issues with Iphone and Android. Moonroof leaks, drivers window rattles, hood shakes at speed. Not a very well engineered or built vehicle by toyota this time. Poor components. All issues for a vehicle with less than 20k miles.