Used 2014 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews - 12 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

2014 Toyota 4Runner

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Good ride quality for truck based SUV.
By Tyler

2014 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I shopped the 4Runner against a G. Cherokee (unattractive/low quality interior), Pathfinder (superb ride quality but felt too much like a car - CVT transmission also a no-go - google Nissan and CVT and see what I mean), and Explorer (a little bland) and the 4Runner won out for superior styling, fit and finish, and third row seat. I've had it since August of 2014 (~12k mi.) with no problems. It has ample power (I rarely tow but it is up for the job), decent acceleration and relatively good fuel economy for a SUV. I average just over 18 mpg in largely city/suburb driving but it doesn't go up much on the highway if you have a heavy foot in particular. Mine is two wheel drive but I'd take it anywhere any other 2wd in the class may venture and then some. Good ground clearance (running boards are suggested if for looks if nothing else) and traction control performs well in light off road duty. Sharp truck. I was also sold on safety when my wife pulled across the path of a police dodge charger with push bar and under 2k miles and the impact totaled it but not her 2010 Highlander that were it not for a busted radiator and blown tire probably could have been driven away.

I love this vehicle, except...
By Angela Mac

2014 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The windshield tint or glass causes eye strain, dizziness & headaches on long trips or when commuting daily. I loved everything about this car so much the first 3 months I owned it until I began commuting an hour to work every day and realized that there is something about the windshield that extremely bothers my eyes. My local dealership had a technician drive it and they agreed that it seemed to have a warp to it that made his head hurt while driving it. They replaced it with another factory glass windshield, but it continues to bother me and they say that there is nothing left they can do. I never would have noticed it had I not been driving it so long everyday. Around town or short trips seem completely fine. Other than that it's an amazing SUV that I really love driving! Much roomier than the older 4runners inside. Can't wait until I can get this issue fixed or Toyota recalls the windshield!

Fail from Toyota
By Chris Simmons

2014 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Multiple trips back to dealer. Radio/Nav issues with Iphone and Android. Moonroof leaks, drivers window rattles, hood shakes at speed. Not a very well engineered or built vehicle by toyota this time. Poor components. All issues for a vehicle with less than 20k miles.

2014 4R 4x4 Ltd
By myogi

2014 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Have my 4R for almost 4 months now. Very happy with it. Excellent SUV. Looks great, drives great. Glad to have bought it.

Does not Match up to 2005 4Runner Sport
By joestehling

2014 Toyota 4Runner Trail 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Basic vehicle is good but numerous things are cheapened and useless items added from the 2005 Sport model. Reliability has yet to be determined but I am confident it will be as reliable as the 2005 Sport I traded in.

Rides very smoothly and handles very well. •Roomy •Manual heating/cooling much better than the automatic •Time and temperature display can be seen in daylight unless headlights are on •Users manual has page number references •Evidently the rear tail gate no longer has a motorized closure; For the 2005 I spent $1200 on two occasions to have the closure mechanism repaired from the fine dust that entered from our unimproved roads that combined with rainwater. •12v, 110v, and USB outlets

Add back bug screen. Add back sun visor moving on its support; delete worthless center pull out; add back in auxiliary visor for the front which was very useful on our winding mountain roads at sunrise and sunset. Delete stupid ECO display showing acceleration, takes up valuable instrument panel display area and is totally worthless and a waste of money. I really DO know when I am accelerating Add back in covers on storage compartments The vehicle is underpowered and cannot easily climb a 20 percent grade on the unimproved road leading to my house. Add back in gas cap lock Improve OEM tires that were punctured on my unimproved road after 2000 miles Improve instructions for KDSS