Used 2013 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Toyota 4runner - Consumer Reviews

2013 Toyota 4Runner SUV

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

After one year, love it as much as the day I bought it.
By yngturk

2013 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

An extremely solid, truck-based SUV. Purchased new in 2013. After 13-months now has 20k miles and it's only been to the shop for oil changes. Ride is better than most trucks, but the build is solid and body stiffness is superb. Seats are quite comfortable, as are heater/AC and the overall ride. My wife -- the ultimate judge of comfort, with a bad back -- has no problem taking road trips in this vehicle. I mostly use this as a commuter vehicle, but occasionally haul stuff or go camping off-road. Average 21.3 MPG in combo city/highway. Engine is more than adequate. It's the perfect vehicle for my needs. A well-engineered, reliable ride.

Favorite Features

Solid build, reliability, utilitarian design.

Suggested Improvements

Make auto headlights standard.

I do not like this vehicle
By kara8

2013 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 2nd 4Runner. My last 4Runner was old and I wanted a new, reliable vehicle for my daughter and me as I was worried I would start having problems. New 4Runner is not reliable. I really, really don't like this vehicle at all. I have had it since Aug. Every time something hits the windshield, it cracks. It's cracked 3 times since Aug. Major hassle to get it fixed every time it breaks and it seems like it always breaks. Prior to this vehicle, I have replaced 1 windshield. Also had a major electrical failure, which put it in the shop for 5 days. Still doesn't seem right but the techs say it's fine. Waiting for it to break again. It shifts totally weird. I don't recommend

Suggested Improvements

Something has got to be wrong with the design of this vehicle to have the windshield constantly cracking. As mentioned before, I have replaced 1 windshield in the 20yrs I have been driving prior to this vehicle. It's not good. In addition, it shifts weird. I keep expecting it to break and it had 1 major electrical failure at 5,000 miles. Keep expecting it to break again. Loved the old 4Runner, hate the new 4Runner.

Highly overrated
By jose65

2013 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

in cold climate, it takes unreasonably long for the engine to get into normal operating range. (about 8 miles of driving) the interior heater is weak even at the max and takes very long to warm up the interior. Suspension is hard when driving over bumps and potholes, not good for the spine running boards are useless for a taller person as they are in the way front dives and rear moves up under hard breaking engine is loud and sounds rough around 2500rpm sheet metal is very thin, waves can be seen on the hood when going through car wash dryer

Favorite Features

visibility large cargo area large mirrors

Suggested Improvements

Fix the heat issue. I drive different vehicles on daily basis and they take half the time of what the 4runner takes to warm up Anyone considering this vehicle, take a very long test drive on different types of roads. If you live in the cold area of the planet, make sure to test drive in winter starting from cold.

great for our off road trips
By feralcat

2013 Toyota 4Runner SUV Trail 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just picked up a 2013 trail edition. I paid extra for Nitto Terra Grappler ATs as I've had so many problems in the past with the standard HTs that come with all 4Runners. I realize that most folks don't off-road but we do a few times a year. I traded in a 2011 trail which ran perfectly. This should be exactly the same but it does feel a little different with shift points and throttle response.

Favorite Features

Love the upgraded AT tires. The trail model has black accents and trim so the silver color isn't too much of one color like the base model.

Suggested Improvements

Need more gears in the tranny. 4Runner shifts into 5th gear below 40mph so fuel economy suffers when on highway doing 60 to 70. Relocate the antenna from the front right fender. This is always loosening and subject to vandalism.

Great car
By runner33

2013 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second 4Runner. I love this car.