Used 2013 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews - 10 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Toyota 4Runner SUV - Consumer Reviews

2013 Toyota 4Runner SUV

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

You have to love a 4Runner for the right reasons.
By Bill

2013 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We use our 4Runner both as a daily driver and weekend ranch vehicle. That's why we went with this, our second 4Runner- first one was a 2005 SR5 that we just traded on this 2013. We wanted the solid body-on-frame construction because we haul stuff all the time, sometimes off-road, and the towing capacity because we pull a small trailer sometimes. Our 2005 was bulletproof- the ONLY failure in 188,000 miles was the a/c evaporator coil. We expect this one to be similar, as most 4Runner owners will attest- they're reliable and will take punishment. They are more utilitarian and ride a little rougher than other SUVs (except for Jeeps) because of the construction, and tend to pitch or roll on uneven pavement, which can be more than some people can deal with. Towing a 2,000 lb trailer is noticeable but comfortable, no strain on the drivetrain. That 5,000 lb limit? Only if I had to for a short distance- nice to know it's capable though.

We also do quite a bit of highway, and for that, the 4Runner is great. Pretty quiet (70 mph is just over 2,000 rpm), visibility is super, seats are comfy for long hauls, and we've clocked 22 mpg at 80 mph across Wyoming. Factory sound system is pretty good. Watch out for tires with noisy tread patterns though, they'll cut through. The Michelin LTX M/S 2 is the best replacement tire for low noise and good handling.

The interior is very useable with plenty of elbow room, and headroom for a 6-footer. Our 2013 has a nice sunroof too, and I still have a few inches to spare. We did lose some features on the 2013 though that I will miss- the programmable cabin temperature from the 2005 is gone, the powered tailgate latch is gone, and now we have a radio antenna, instead of FM diversity built into the windows. Those are real cost-cutting throwbacks to me. The glove box is half the capacity (no "gun compartment" anymore), and there are no closeable storage compartments around the interior, just open compartments.

Just remember why you bought it- decent performance, classy enough for dinner, haul stuff, tow stuff without breaking down. Ever.

After one year, love it as much as the day I bought it.
By yngturk

2013 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

An extremely solid, truck-based SUV.
Purchased new in 2013.
After 13-months now has 20k miles and it's only been to the shop for oil changes.

Ride is better than most trucks, but the build is solid and body stiffness is superb.
Seats are quite comfortable, as are heater/AC and the overall ride.
My wife -- the ultimate judge of comfort, with a bad back -- has no problem taking road trips in this vehicle.

I mostly use this as a commuter vehicle, but occasionally haul stuff or go camping off-road.
Average 21.3 MPG in combo city/highway.
Engine is more than adequate.

It's the perfect vehicle for my needs.
A well-engineered, reliable ride.

Solid build, reliability, utilitarian design.

Make auto headlights standard.

I do not like this vehicle
By kara8

This is my 2nd 4Runner.
My last 4Runner was old and I wanted a new, reliable vehicle for my daughter and me
as I was worried I would start having problems.
New 4Runner is not reliable.
I really, really don't like this vehicle at all.
I have had it since Aug.
Every time something hits the windshield, it cracks.
It's cracked 3 times since Aug.
Major hassle to get it fixed every time it breaks and it seems like it always breaks.
Prior to this vehicle, I have replaced 1 windshield.
Also had a major electrical failure, which put it in the shop for 5 days.
Still doesn't seem right but the techs say it's fine.
Waiting for it to break again.
It shifts totally weird.
I don't recommend

Something has got to be wrong with the design of this vehicle to have the windshield constantly cracking. As mentioned before, I have replaced 1 windshield in the 20yrs I have been driving prior to this vehicle. It's not good. In addition, it shifts weird. I keep expecting it to break and it had 1 major electrical failure at 5,000 miles. Keep expecting it to break again. Loved the old 4Runner, hate the new 4Runner.

Highly overrated
By jose65

2013 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

in cold climate, it takes unreasonably long for the engine to get into normal operating range. (about 8 miles of driving)
the interior heater is weak even at the max and takes very long to warm up the interior.

Suspension is hard when driving over bumps and potholes, not good for the spine

running boards are useless for a taller person as they are in the way

front dives and rear moves up under hard breaking

engine is loud and sounds rough around 2500rpm

sheet metal is very thin, waves can be seen on the hood when going through car wash dryer

visibility large cargo area large mirrors

Fix the heat issue. I drive different vehicles on daily basis and they take half the time of what the 4runner takes to warm up Anyone considering this vehicle, take a very long test drive on different types of roads. If you live in the cold area of the planet, make sure to test drive in winter starting from cold.

great for our off road trips
By feralcat

2013 Toyota 4Runner SUV Trail 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just picked
up a 2013 trail edition.
I paid extra for Nitto Terra Grappler ATs as I've had so many problems in the past with the standard HTs that come with all 4Runners.
I realize that most folks don't off-road but we do a few times a year.
I traded in a 2011 trail which ran perfectly.
This should be exactly the same but it does feel a little different with shift points and throttle response.

Love the upgraded AT tires. The trail model has black accents and trim so the silver color isn't too much of one color like the base model.

Need more gears in the tranny. 4Runner shifts into 5th gear below 40mph so fuel economy suffers when on highway doing 60 to 70. Relocate the antenna from the front right fender. This is always loosening and subject to vandalism.