Used 2013 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Toyota 4runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Great car
By runner33

2013 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second 4Runner. I love this car.

Awesome vehicle
By treerollins

2013 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is one of the very few mid sized truck based SUV's out there. I like to do some mild off road activites and have a boat to tow, so a car based SUV is not an option. So far I have loved it. Even though it is a mid size SUV, it has a very commanding stance on the highway. It feels larger than it is, people even comment on how large it looks. The handling is good for this type of SUV, especially since its truck based. It takes some adjustments at first, but once you figure out how to drive it, you'll be pleased. The ride is a little on the bouncy side, but again its a truck! It does well on basic off roads. A great alternative to a full size suv if you need 2 rows of seating.

Favorite Features

The appearance is a very good feature of this vehicle. The gas mileage is very good for a vehicle of this type. This was a huge improvement over the Chevrolet Trailblazer I had in terms of size, quality, looks, gas mileage and resale value. Lots of leg and headroom in both front and rear seats, which is great because our entire family is tall! And that is with a moonroof! It has both ac and dc power outlets, which is very handy!

Suggested Improvements

I need glasses to see the radio displays, they are too small! The cloth seats are extremely ugly! Go for the leather upgrade, you wont be sorry!

Back in a 4runner
By rart

2013 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had 4Runners in the past, so I knew I would be getting a quality product. I was right. I enjoy everything about the 4Runner. It is equally at home in "high society" or pulling a boat down a gravel road. I will say that I'm shocked at how harsh the media has been on this new model. IMO, that is due to the fact that most review agencies are centered in urban areas. They would prefer everyone drive compact cars, so they naturally prefer car based SUV's and have trouble understanding people that actually plan to use an SUV outside of grocery and soccer duty. Do not let subjective reviews get to you. They are comparing it to a car in every respect. It is not a "car".

Favorite Features

Being as how my previous truck was 9 years old, I am not used to the features that are commonplace these days. The backup camera, voice control, heated wipers, bluetooth, touch keyless entry, and HD radio are all new and exciting to me. Beyond that, I can't think of any exclusive features that really standout. All of these things are pretty much standard on vehicles in this price range these days.

Suggested Improvements

I would really be reaching here, but my 4Runner came with running boards. At 6'2", I find these totally useless. I have to actually step over them as I enter and exit the vehicle. IMO, only vertically challenged people and children will actually need assistance from the running boards, otherwise they are a nuisance. This is a non-issue, because they can be easily removed (or added) if necessary. Also, the gear shifter looks and feels really cheap for a 40K+ vehicle. IMO, it takes away from an otherwise very attractive interior. I was a little upset that it did not come with remote start or lane change sensors. I feel that it should have, being a Limited.

great for our off road trips
By feralcat

2013 Toyota 4Runner Trail 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just picked up a 2013 trail edition. I paid extra for Nitto Terra Grappler ATs as I've had so many problems in the past with the standard HTs that come with all 4Runners. I realize that most folks don't off-road but we do a few times a year. I traded in a 2011 trail which ran perfectly. This should be exactly the same but it does feel a little different with shift points and throttle response.

Favorite Features

Love the upgraded AT tires. The trail model has black accents and trim so the silver color isn't too much of one color like the base model.

Suggested Improvements

Need more gears in the tranny. 4Runner shifts into 5th gear below 40mph so fuel economy suffers when on highway doing 60 to 70. Relocate the antenna from the front right fender. This is always loosening and subject to vandalism.

After one year, love it as much as the day I bought it.
By yngturk

2013 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

An extremely solid, truck-based SUV. Purchased new in 2013. After 13-months now has 20k miles and it's only been to the shop for oil changes. Ride is better than most trucks, but the build is solid and body stiffness is superb. Seats are quite comfortable, as are heater/AC and the overall ride. My wife -- the ultimate judge of comfort, with a bad back -- has no problem taking road trips in this vehicle. I mostly use this as a commuter vehicle, but occasionally haul stuff or go camping off-road. Average 21.3 MPG in combo city/highway. Engine is more than adequate. It's the perfect vehicle for my needs. A well-engineered, reliable ride.

Favorite Features

Solid build, reliability, utilitarian design.

Suggested Improvements

Make auto headlights standard.