2012 Toyota 4Runner 4.0L V6 4x4 5-speed Automatic Consumer Review - It's a Truck!

2012 Toyota 4Runner SUV - Consumer Review

It's a Truck!
By toytruck1 on

2012 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Had my 2012 for 10 months with 8,200 on the clock. Be aware: the 3 models have different suspensions; the SR5 being the softest. I didn't need the Trail, the Limited was a bit pricey, so I opted for the SR5. I swapped out the soft factory shocks for Bilstein HD's all around. Well worth it. No more nose dive or side to side wallowing. Gas mileage excellent. I consistently average 19.5-20 mpg. T4R is built like a tank and very tight; no squeaks or rattles. A few caveats: a few interior bits are cheap (door grips), transmission is quick to upshift, could use more sound deadening. Engine feels like it has less than 270 hp, but mash the pedal and it scoots. No problems to date. Nice truck!

Favorite Features

-One touch windows (back window & sunroof too) -Pearl white paint -Vault like feel -Size and ease of parking -Backup camera with parking sensor -Part time 4WD -Competent brakes -Fuel efficiency for a large 4WD

Suggested Improvements

-Better materials on console and door grips -More sound deadening in doors -Transmission cooler should be included -Deeper hitch receiver (spare location prevents this) -Better location for 7/4 pin hookups (hard to reach)