Used 2012 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Poor Over Road Ride
By dmacri

2012 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just purchased a New 2012 4runner Limited. I purchased the Limited over the SR5 because it was supposedly smoother riding. The vehicle pulses through the steering wheel at all speeds. I spoke to Toyota and had it back to the dealership twice. They both told me that it was a truck and that is the way it rides and I should live with it. I owned 12 new trucks before this and none rode this bad, of course none were a Toyota. I personal feel that it is th 20" wheels and tires that they put on this vehicle. They are hard riding and poor handling. I am limited to 2 tire manufacturers with these wheels so i can not even buy touring tires.

Favorite Features

The best thing about this vehichle is the electronics and the radio.

Suggested Improvements

Go back to 17" tires and wheels . Put a remote button to pop up the rear door lid. Replace the plastic engine cover with Aluminum or steel. Get softer seats, they are as har as a rock.

Don't be fooled by the great reviews! I think people don't know any better!
By face6

2012 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I am very disappointed with this SUV! I purchased my 4 runner in 2011 and have 27,000 miles on it currently. My main issues are as follows: 1) Price to value - MSRP on my limited was $43,000+ in my opinion after owning it and driving it - its really a $33,000 SUV (or should be priced this way.) Very tinny sounding when you slam the door - seems like poor quality, somewhat underpowered, many interior features cheap and plastic, Handles poorly - (See consumer reports negative reviews) - I ignored them when i bought mine. Nav/Bluetooth very antiquated - Nav way behind the times. Bluetooth sound quality when on your phone is poor. Trunk area - slight tilt Groceries shift milk falls out/breaks

Favorite Features

Strong resale - so i am told, better gas mileage than most ave 17.8

Suggested Improvements

Make better quality product for the money. Upgrade nav - Very expensive ($2500)for what you get. I had a 2006 Acura TL with nav and blue tooth that was way ahead of this. Need to revamp the trunk area - I have the 3rd row model this slight tilt causes grocery's or anything to slide up against the gate so that when you open the gate it all falls out on your feet. Milk explodes, anything glass breaks in your driveway ( spaghetti sauce, my flat screen computer monitor etc) This is what caused me to write this review. Toyota nickel and dimes you. No running board, no mud flaps etc. "cargo nets" everything is an accessory separately purchased.

one of the last old school suvs
By shaftymcgee7

2012 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

had 4runner for almost 4k miles so far and am very impressed overall, averaging about 20 mpg, this is a truck so dont expect it to ride like a car on the pavement but handles off-road very well i live in alaska and our last winter we got over 12ft of snow didnt even notice it with 4runner in 4wd. seats are comfortable and like the driving position and roominess of the cabin and overall has a very old school feel to it with lot of functional new high tech stuff thrown in. my only real gripe with it is poor paint quality scratches easy and no cross bars or running boards included in a 35k vehicle is disapointing, 4runner is built to get you anywhere you need to go anytime..

Favorite Features

a-trac, bluetooth hands free calling, roll down rear window, fold flat 2nd row, functional simple controls that work and arent confusing, sun-roof + roll down rear window =awesome in summer

Suggested Improvements

better paint quality with more choices, running boards and cross bars included

A Mini Land Cruiser
By ixuonrahm

2012 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Owned vehicle for 3 weeks. So far no problem, hope in future too. Like its tall trim, off-road capabilities and features. The cabin needs some improvements though - stereo isn't as good as my previous Audi A4's one, a little too much of plastic. The navigation screen is way too tiny, yet useful. Entune is a great feature, yet needs to be filled with more usefull apps. Bluetooth iPhone integration is another nice feature. The leather trim is very comfy. 2nd row provides plenty of space for passengers. 3rd row will also be needed one day, so it's good to have it. Very happy with it, so it won't disapoint me in the future.

Favorite Features

Tall trim, off-road capabilities

Suggested Improvements

Add green color to the pallette, use vinil in the cabin as oppose to plastic, V8 option, bigger navigation screen, instrumental display should be smarter

Wasn't expecting this...
By winsons_car

2012 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After having a horrible experience from the 2005 Nissan Pathfinder, I decided to buy its Japanese made rival, the 4Runner. The car was outstanding at first, but it had major problems after 17 days. The service engine light and traction control light had turned on. The car was basically unable to accelarate, it shook alot too. After 12 days of fixing, we got our car back. (the whole transmission was replaced) The transmission started leaking red liquid and the car sometimes still shakes alot.