2012 Toyota 4Runner SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
It is what it isn't
By urbanadventur on 06/22/13 22:44 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Dollar for dollar, the latest generation 4runner is the best body on frame suv ever. Obviously, this is not a car. It is not a crossover which is nothing more than a tall car in suv clothing. The 4runner eats rocks and mud for breakfast and then with one pass through the car wash rolls down main street with class and style. It is not designed to slalom like a sedan. This is intentional. The 4runner ride is exceptionally smooth and the off road capabilities and reliability are not comparable to any other vehicle in this price range. If you want nothing more than a tall car buy a Durango, Equinox, Cherokee, Explorer or even a Highlander. If you want a real suv buy a 4runner.

It's a Truck!
By toytruck1 on 03/14/13 20:04 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Had my 2012 for 10 months with 8,200 on the clock. Be aware: the 3 models have different suspensions; the SR5 being the softest. I didn't need the Trail, the Limited was a bit pricey, so I opted for the SR5. I swapped out the soft factory shocks for Bilstein HD's all around. Well worth it. No more nose dive or side to side wallowing. Gas mileage excellent. I consistently average 19.5-20 mpg. T4R is built like a tank and very tight; no squeaks or rattles. A few caveats: a few interior bits are cheap (door grips), transmission is quick to upshift, could use more sound deadening. Engine feels like it has less than 270 hp, but mash the pedal and it scoots. No problems to date. Nice truck!

Makes Me Laugh!!
By pipes3 on 02/21/13 07:07 AM (PST)

2012 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I laugh every time I read the reviews about the 2012 4runner because they are all way off!! People, please remember this is not a sports car or a preppy crossover which all of the experts unfairly compare this truck to. What these so called experts do not realize is that there is nothing out there comparable to this burly, reliable, beast of an SUV. Consumer reports with the 4-foot red-head who bashes the 4runner is ridiculous! She has the truck going through a slalom and says there is too much body roll! Really!! This truck is solid as a rock, will run for 300,000 miles and looks tough as nails. Do yourself a favor and test drive this truck and do not listen to the bad reviews....

Got What I Expected...
By eglzfan on 12/26/12 12:23 PM (PST)

2012 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased a 2012 4Runner 6 months ago. After 10K mi. the vehicle still performs as it did on day 1. The 4L engine is the largest V6 available in a mid sized SUV. Fuel mileage avgs 19-20 mpg with the best at 23 on longer road trips. If you actually test drive this SUV you will notice a stiff ride, similar to that of a truck...that's what I like about it. Ample storage space satisfies the needs of our family and all our stuff. Dashboard electronics work as expected and nav system got me up north without a problem. Biggest complaint would be lack of headroom. At 6' I'm at the upper limit without hitting my head on the roof. Compared to similar SUVs out there this is a great buy.

Not as good-fun as my 2008 4Runner
By magluk on 10/08/12 08:48 AM (PDT)

2012 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Like all new cars it's nice but not as good as my 2008 SE model. This SUV is way over priced and under equipped (no mud flaps, running boars, gate assist) poor plastic and cloth inside. It seems under powered and under developed. If it's your first Toyota you will be happy for a year or so but like me this is my third Toyota. The quality has gone down hill and price has gone uphill. I wanted to buy a 2012-2013 4Runner for my wife but it's not family friendly SUV. The jeeps looks nice and so does Honda Pilot. It will be a hard and tough choice but it's wont be Toyota this time around.

Poor Over Road Ride
By dmacri on 09/27/12 15:14 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just purchased a New 2012 4runner Limited. I purchased the Limited over the SR5 because it was supposedly smoother riding. The vehicle pulses through the steering wheel at all speeds. I spoke to Toyota and had it back to the dealership twice. They both told me that it was a truck and that is the way it rides and I should live with it. I owned 12 new trucks before this and none rode this bad, of course none were a Toyota. I personal feel that it is th 20" wheels and tires that they put on this vehicle. They are hard riding and poor handling. I am limited to 2 tire manufacturers with these wheels so i can not even buy touring tires.

Don't be fooled by the great reviews! I think people don't know any better!
By face6 on 09/22/12 09:23 AM (PDT)

2012 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I am very disappointed with this SUV! I purchased my 4 runner in 2011 and have 27,000 miles on it currently. My main issues are as follows: 1) Price to value - MSRP on my limited was $43,000+ in my opinion after owning it and driving it - its really a $33,000 SUV (or should be priced this way.) Very tinny sounding when you slam the door - seems like poor quality, somewhat underpowered, many interior features cheap and plastic, Handles poorly - (See consumer reports negative reviews) - I ignored them when i bought mine. Nav/Bluetooth very antiquated - Nav way behind the times. Bluetooth sound quality when on your phone is poor. Trunk area - slight tilt Groceries shift milk falls out/breaks

one of the last old school suvs
By shaftymcgee7 on 07/20/12 23:35 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

had 4runner for almost 4k miles so far and am very impressed overall, averaging about 20 mpg, this is a truck so dont expect it to ride like a car on the pavement but handles off-road very well i live in alaska and our last winter we got over 12ft of snow didnt even notice it with 4runner in 4wd. seats are comfortable and like the driving position and roominess of the cabin and overall has a very old school feel to it with lot of functional new high tech stuff thrown in. my only real gripe with it is poor paint quality scratches easy and no cross bars or running boards included in a 35k vehicle is disapointing, 4runner is built to get you anywhere you need to go anytime..

A Mini Land Cruiser
By ixuonrahm on 05/30/12 15:18 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Owned vehicle for 3 weeks. So far no problem, hope in future too. Like its tall trim, off-road capabilities and features. The cabin needs some improvements though - stereo isn't as good as my previous Audi A4's one, a little too much of plastic. The navigation screen is way too tiny, yet useful. Entune is a great feature, yet needs to be filled with more usefull apps. Bluetooth iPhone integration is another nice feature. The leather trim is very comfy. 2nd row provides plenty of space for passengers. 3rd row will also be needed one day, so it's good to have it. Very happy with it, so it won't disapoint me in the future.

Wasn't expecting this...
By winsons_car on 05/27/12 17:38 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After having a horrible experience from the 2005 Nissan Pathfinder, I decided to buy its Japanese made rival, the 4Runner. The car was outstanding at first, but it had major problems after 17 days. The service engine light and traction control light had turned on. The car was basically unable to accelarate, it shook alot too. After 12 days of fixing, we got our car back. (the whole transmission was replaced) The transmission started leaking red liquid and the car sometimes still shakes alot.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Toyota 4Runner Suv in VA is:

$142 per month*