First 4Runner
By 78vette1 on
2011 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)
As this is my first 4Runner, I have been driving Toyotas since 1981. For dependability and reliability they are hard to beat. I wanted to drive the vehicle before I wrote my review so I could give my honest opinion and make a post for others as consumer reviews always help me in my purchasing decisions. I purchased a used 4runner in late December of 2013 with just under 17k miles.
Favorite Features
The ride is a bit stiffer than my Highlander but comfortable and handles well for its height. I don't have the steering wheel controls but all the buttons and dials are easy to reach and work well. For me gas mileage is exceptional. My 33 mile ride to work in Houston traffic with the more powerful V6 I am averaging 24.5 mpg. Even around town if you keep the Eco light on I am well over 20 mpg. This is better than my 4cy 2011 Highlander it replaced. Very roomy, fits the family well and can haul all my fishing gear or landscaping supplies well and easy to load.
Suggested Improvements
Brakes seem a little mushy compared to the other Toyotas I have owned but am told that is the way they are. Just a little time to get used to them but they stop fine. Also noticed the fan for the A/C doesn't blow as hard as previous cars, especially in the rear seats, but cools the cabin well. Would prefer white or purple dash lights (like our Sienna) as some days they are hard to see with the light on but easy to see at night.