Please take sufficiently long test drive
By matt138 on
2011 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)
Make sure to test drive with the radio off to see if you can live with the loud cabin noise every time the brake pedal is pressed. It is a squish sound like walking in a wet shoe. Also, the transmission is very rough and surges at 45 mph when "cruising" at low RPM. Neither of which came up during my short test drive (with radio on). I have only owned it for 300 miles and already had it back to the dealership. They had it for a full day only to tell me, "brake noise is loud but normal...the others on the lot sound exactly the same", and, they claimed they could not feel the surging/jerky transmission. Now after further research I see similar posts online. Very disappointing.
Favorite Features
Exterior styling.
Suggested Improvements
Admit the 2010 and 2011 4Runner brake noise is a poor design and implement a retrofit to eliminate the situation. Start looking into the surging transmission.
By 4player
on 06/30/11 19:52 PM (PDT)

I have a 2011 with 1000 miles on it. I haven't noticed any noise when braking or unusual shift points in the tranny. That said, I feel the rig is under-powered, but may be because I was used to the power of my trade in, a 3/4 ton diesel pick up.