Happy and Disappointed
By cwpa on
2011 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)
I traded in my Honda Pilot on the 4runner to get back into a Toyota. While the materials and I think build quality is much better on the Toyota, the seats in the 4runner are very uncomfortable compared to the Pilot. After having it a few weeks, between the ride, seats being too short on the bottom and the lack of interior size compared to the Pilot, I may end up going back to Honda. The car purchase taught me that no car is perfect, I need Toyota build quality, Pilot interior size and ride. What is interesting is that the power of this 4runner seems less than my 2006 I had. I would drive it for decent test drive to see if you can tolerate the truck ride and seat comfort.
Favorite Features
Nice styling in and out. Materials seem better than average. Standard plus for trailering, but why so far on the side?
Suggested Improvements
No storage in the cargo area for anything. Seat redesign, stronger engine and sound of the engine.
By rfmodeler
on 02/25/11 12:45 PM (PST)

You should have gone with a comparable vehicle to the Pilot like the Highlander. The 4Runner is less of a passenger vehicle and more of an off-road/adventure type of vehicle. The 4Runner has always had less comfortable seats than the Highlander. In order for the seats to sit higher off the floor they would need to reduce the ground clearance, but then it would just be a Highlander.

By hadtogo
on 04/24/12 14:06 PM (PDT)

I wanted to take this back on day 2. I have suffered back and neck pain from owning an '11 SR5. After having it tear my neck and back apart for 17 months, I traded it for something that can actually do the job of commuting and towing a travel trailer - and that's a nice very comfortable Ford Expedition. 17 long months of Chiro visits and icing donw my neck. The T4R simply has terrible ergonomics! There's no quesiton about it. The seat sits low, the backrest it terrible, the lumbar is too high, seat cushion too soft, steering wheel too high, pedals too close in plane of steering wheel. OK how about the headliner??? I've never been in a car where the headliner is so low. I had the sunroof but don't they all? The power back window is nice but it also lets in the foul rotten egg smell that occured ALWAYS. Had it to the dealer a few times for this and they siad it was normal. BS. The bluetooh and streaming was nice. The AC turns on when you turn the temp control al the way to the left but doesn't turn off if you turn it back. Nice going. The steering! What were they thinking having the steering with so much understeer! Speed sensitive steering, I only noticed in the highway it would tighten. It also has significant bump steer. ther are some nice features like the sliding middle row adn backup camera but the negatives outweighed these. Moving Forward is the slogan?