Used 2011 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Wish I Had My Old 4runner Back
By 4runnerdriver

2011 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned 4runners since '86. Bought '11 model this yr. & this is the 1st time I've regretted it. This car is bigger and more awkward than my '02 4runner. It feels giant but the interior feels more cramped. The HVAC controls are not good. It gets really hot inside & with the fan on hi I still feel suffocating. What is most annoying is that with each 4runner I've owned since '86, the gas mpg is now much worse. It is basically the same car (but with more comforts and bells and whistles each year), what are you doing wrong that the MPG is getting worse??? For one, quit making them a few inches bigger each year. If I wanted bigger I'd buy a Sequoia. Now I'm shopping for an Explorer

Slide down rear window (instead of lift-up). It is the one thing that differentiates this SUV from the crowd. Much more convenience with the slide down, for a variety of reasons. My favorites are to eliminate the thumping air when the sun roof is open, and to crack the window for the dog when she rides in the back. It is also great to open the window when you have long cargo (a lift up window ends up bouncing around when you drive with it open.

Instead of making them bigger (and having to create a Highlander to fill the old size slot) Take them back to the size they were 10 or 15 years ago. Anything else you can do to improve the MPG would also be appreciated (how about a hybrid model?). I used to get 24 mpg in my old 4runners. Your technology seems to be going backwards! Bring back the tan or brown carpets and trim. (The black is too hot and shows every speck of lint and dust). Improve the hydraulic lifts on the tailgate so that it doesn't come down and bang you on your head in cold weather. If you offered the Highlander with a slide-down rear window, I'd switch to the Highlander

Not for everyone, but for the few
By meagle1

2011 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This car is not for everyone, but if you live in a rugged area with a lot of snow and ice in the winter this is the perfect vehichle for you. I have had to "pull out" the popular cross-over "cars" with my 4runner when it snows more than 1 foot. When I drive to the city it is comfortable and has all of the amenities of my last Lexus. I would buy this luxury tough vehicle again.

The stereo is great. The all wheel drive/4 wheel system is awesome!

Running boards need to be improved

4Runner Limited
By rnt76

2011 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great vehicle. I owned a 2006 SR5 and this one has lots of improvements. The extra ground clearance and lack of plastic body cladding that 4th generation 4 Runners had makes this model better for off-road use. Very smooth on the road; handles great with plenty of power.

Navigation/sound system is fantastic. The dash and controls are much better than the 4th generation 4 Runner. I also appreciate the roll down rear window - very handy.

The narrow 20" wheels really limit the selection of tires. I love the style of the limited model wheels but, I wish they were 17". Also, the lift gate is hard for my petite wife to reach to close. It needs a pull strap or a power close capability.

Why is Toyota Going Backwards??
By dpast276

2011 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Had to purchase a replacement 2011 4Runner for my 2005 4Runner Sport Ed. due to damages from a body shop. I have to ask " What is Toyota thinking??" 1) This vehicle is severely under powered! Take off feels like being in 4 cylinder car w/ full power a/c 2) No gas latch / security 3) No cargo cover included w/ vehicle, Expensive purchase at $153.00 + tax or shipping/handling. 4) Lightning in the cargo are is crap, all lighting was installed on the back door. Non are actually in the cargo area/ Where you will actually be using. 5) Removed automatic back latch, have to slam down. 6) Why is a newer vehicle getting lower gas mileage than an older version?? 05 4Runner 19 new 17?? Really!!

This isn't a lexus RX
By nervoussurgery

2011 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After extensive research, we've ordered a 4X4 limited as our next family vehicle. To sum it up, there is nothing in the market that combines this level of engineering, reliability, reasonable refin't, indestructability and versatility as the 4runner.No, it does not drive like the MDX or the FX35. No, it does not pamper you like the RX or the RR. But if you live in snow and deer country, and need a vehicle that can do and survive anything...this is it. For 40 grand (huge dealer discounts on a gas hog that no one wants), you get keyless entry, navigation, bluetooth, backup camera, heated leather seats...all wrapped inside the strongest body-on-frame design in its class. Deer zero, 4Runner one.

Solid, indestructable feel. Huge hauling capacity. Backup camera.

As a truck based SUV...it drives like a truck. Granted one that's been to finishing school. Could tone down the truck element inside as well with the chunky black plastic and the big knobby controls, but then there's lexus. Powered rear hatch would be a nice touch (esp. with a msrp north of 40K), but then there's lexus again.