Used 2011 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Toyota 4Runner SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Transmission Shudder from 1st to 2nd upshift
By giuseppeg

2011 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

June 15th, 2012 Toyota released TSB-0089-12 that affects 2010-2012 4Runners and calls for replacement of full transmission. www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/89301-has-anyone-noticed-10.html I know I'm covered for 5yr/60k miles power train but I traded it in for $28k (Paid $34k new) after 3 years of ownership for a 2014 Subaru Forester 2.0XT Touring.

-Land Cruiser 150 platform ($20k cheaper than GX460) Great value (only lost $6k in 3 years) -2011 was 100% from Japan -2012 was 90% -Can roll down the trunk window for my dog -17mpg worst 23mpg best 20mpg avg lifetime -Completely fold flat 2nd and 3rd row seats -Bright stock headlights and rectangle DRL -9.6 ground clearance with hill decent control

-Transmission slips ever since day 1 (It's more noticeable at slow speeds with ECO mode on) -Unstable on highway (Trial Limited suspension is much better than SR5. -Huge nose dive during braking (Feels soft and unresponsive) -2006 to 2009 Projector headlights was deleted on 2010 to 2013. 2014 4Runner brought it back. -1GR-FE engine outputs 254hp on regular gas not 270hp with 91 octane. -Impossible to clean rear spoiler window -3rd row seats can only fit little kids -No headroom for me 5'10 especially with sunroof -Useless $600 running board it came with the car -Embarrassing stock antenna sticks out from hood -5 speed auto really needs 6th gear for mpg

huge improvement
By feralcat

2011 Toyota 4Runner SUV Trail 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I refused to buy the previous generation 4Runner because it was too small and wimpy looking. My 2011 trail edition has been problem-free and has gone through several rough jeep trails without breathing hard. The size is perfect for us. The increased horsepower of the V6 is enough for long grades. I would and will get this again when the lease expires.

Crawl control works great ! Auto trans is very smooth and works great at slowing vehicle on grades and snow. Ground clearance is excellent.

Antenna on right front fender is kind of dumb in this day and age and susceptible to vandalism and damage when washing. Tougher tires should be available for the trail edition for those of us that actually drive off road a few times per year.

Great Car Horrible Tires
By nunnally

2011 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I really like this SUV but there is one small problem. THE TIRES ARE NOT AVAILABLE!!!! One of the tires blew out last night after having this car for ONE Week. The dealer told us the tire is not under the bumper to bumper warranty. We would have to purchase a new on if we can find one. The dealership told me that the tire is on national back order. Then they said the last time they had to order one of these Yokohama Geolander 245/60R20 tires it took over 3 months for it to come in. YOU THINK THIS IS SOMETHING TOYOTA WOULD HAVE TO DISCLOSE BEFORE THE SALE! Toyota really screwed us on this one. Stay away from this car unless you know how to fabricate you own tires.

Toyota- Plan ahead. People will need tires on your vehicle eventually. Engineer this vehicle to accept a tire that is commonly available.

Love my 4-Runner!
By misspriss82

2011 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 4-Runner brand new a year ago. I have the Blizzard Pearl color with tan leather interior. I love it! It is a bit bigger than older 4-Runners, but the ride seems smoother for an SUV this size. I only have one complaint - the windshield wipers do not have a good medium speed, they are either way too fast or way too slow. The radio area could look fancier, but it's user friendly, so I don't really care about that. I plan on keeping this vehicle for a long time and I will continue to buy 4-Runners in the future.

Beeping sensors in rear, bluetooth capability, satellite radio ready, height on the vehicle, almost no blind spots, the back seats reclining, all of the cup holders

Windshield Wiper speeds, breaks are very "touchy" - but when I had to slam on them once I felt like the car was going to fly forward. - The look of the radio / temperature console could be nicer looking

Shocks...Please Ignore Earlier Comment
By alfonso_bedoya

2011 Toyota 4Runner SUV Trail 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

In an earlier post, a consumer commented on the weakness of the Toyota OEM shocks. The comment is inaccurate. The poster describes a condition which is clearly the result of driving style, not the performance of a 5,000lb truck. If you drive a truck the same as you may drive a BMW, the results will be dramatic and perhaps traumatic. Changing to Bilstein shocks will not help this problem. The shocks are fine. It ain't the car. And no, I do not work with or for Toyota in any way. i have been in the automotive biz my entire life and involved with motorsports for 30+ year, but never with Toyota.

• SUV