2011 Toyota 4Runner SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
watch for recall on 2011 shocks
By jdijkstra on 03/06/12 15:50 PM (PST)

2011 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

shocks are weak on the 4runner SR5. pushing down on rear and front ends causes continuos bouncing, as does little hills on the road. My rear passenger had gotten motion sickness from the bouncing . The truck front end dips on braking and any fast emergency braking causes the front end dip to be so excessive that the rear end lifts the tires up enough to cause the automatic braking to kick in. This has happened to me 3 times and is very scary since the abs brakes stay engaged for a min. I almost crashed into car in front of me . I showed the dealer service dept the problem, but was advised that if they exchanged the shocks for Bilstein shocks, toyota would charge them for the ones removed

Solid truck
By avoncarguy on 01/24/12 12:05 PM (PST)

2011 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I did a lot of research into different SUV options and the 4Runner came out on top. The European options such as the Land Rover, MB M-class, and BMW X-series are all great options, however in these tough economic times the cost differential simply can't be justified - initial purchase price will be $10k+ over a Japanese option and the maintenance charges are outrageous. Since I do not anticipate going off road, I opted for the 4x2 Limited model. Looks just as good and it is a bit cheaper. While the truck may not be that exciting in terms of fun to drive, the reliability is the main reason I bought it. Do some research and you'll be amazed at the statistics around the 4Runner.

'11 4R better than '05
By jdg613 on 01/23/12 14:13 PM (PST)

2011 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Traded '05 4Runner for '11, and definitely an improvement. Quieter, more responsive handling, just as powerful. Miss the rear door close-assist, and don't understand lack of cross-rails for luggage rack, but add'n of bluetooth phone and leather, electric, heated seats more than acceptable trade-off. This version even classier than '05, and mpg is the same (18/21). Feels bigger, more substantial, and just as good of quality. Like the stylish design, and the add'l height makes me feel more confident on the road.

Impressed, as expected.
By foq on 12/30/11 06:37 AM (PST)

2011 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Well, this is my first truck since I served in military in other country. All my other cars were track runners so I never thought I'd enjoy driving a truck.. as those normally lack power or turning capability. Well, I was in for a treat. truck saved me a few times so far, and the offorad capability was a blessing. Build quality is impressive, interior is great. this truck could use more power, definitely, but for the weight / room / options, the power is ok. On the road it feels like a road truck, off road it feels like a decent, off-road built vehicle. Very happy with this investment. Oh, and estimated MPGs are wrong.. I get anywhere between 18.2-22, depending on areas. 17.5 in Chicago.

Wish I Had My Old 4runner Back
By 4runnerdriver on 11/29/11 13:13 PM (PST)

2011 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned 4runners since '86. Bought '11 model this yr. & this is the 1st time I've regretted it. This car is bigger and more awkward than my '02 4runner. It feels giant but the interior feels more cramped. The HVAC controls are not good. It gets really hot inside & with the fan on hi I still feel suffocating. What is most annoying is that with each 4runner I've owned since '86, the gas mpg is now much worse. It is basically the same car (but with more comforts and bells and whistles each year), what are you doing wrong that the MPG is getting worse??? For one, quit making them a few inches bigger each year. If I wanted bigger I'd buy a Sequoia. Now I'm shopping for an Explorer

Not for everyone, but for the few
By meagle1 on 11/21/11 20:10 PM (PST)

2011 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This car is not for everyone, but if you live in a rugged area with a lot of snow and ice in the winter this is the perfect vehichle for you. I have had to "pull out" the popular cross-over "cars" with my 4runner when it snows more than 1 foot. When I drive to the city it is comfortable and has all of the amenities of my last Lexus. I would buy this luxury tough vehicle again.

4Runner Limited
By rnt76 on 11/05/11 18:54 PM (PDT)

2011 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great vehicle. I owned a 2006 SR5 and this one has lots of improvements. The extra ground clearance and lack of plastic body cladding that 4th generation 4 Runners had makes this model better for off-road use. Very smooth on the road; handles great with plenty of power.

Why is Toyota Going Backwards??
By dpast276 on 10/31/11 13:07 PM (PDT)

2011 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Had to purchase a replacement 2011 4Runner for my 2005 4Runner Sport Ed. due to damages from a body shop. I have to ask " What is Toyota thinking??" 1) This vehicle is severely under powered! Take off feels like being in 4 cylinder car w/ full power a/c 2) No gas latch / security 3) No cargo cover included w/ vehicle, Expensive purchase at $153.00 + tax or shipping/handling. 4) Lightning in the cargo are is crap, all lighting was installed on the back door. Non are actually in the cargo area/ Where you will actually be using. 5) Removed automatic back latch, have to slam down. 6) Why is a newer vehicle getting lower gas mileage than an older version?? 05 4Runner 19 new 17?? Really!!

This isn't a lexus RX
By nervoussurgery on 10/30/11 12:31 PM (PDT)

2011 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After extensive research, we've ordered a 4X4 limited as our next family vehicle. To sum it up, there is nothing in the market that combines this level of engineering, reliability, reasonable refin't, indestructability and versatility as the 4runner.No, it does not drive like the MDX or the FX35. No, it does not pamper you like the RX or the RR. But if you live in snow and deer country, and need a vehicle that can do and survive anything...this is it. For 40 grand (huge dealer discounts on a gas hog that no one wants), you get keyless entry, navigation, bluetooth, backup camera, heated leather seats...all wrapped inside the strongest body-on-frame design in its class. Deer zero, 4Runner one.

Very pleased so far
By 4runrfan on 10/29/11 08:39 AM (PDT)

2011 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I own an '04 4Runner with 130,000 miles--this SUV has been as close to flawless as possible. It has never broken down on me--never.Time to hand down to daughter so I need a new SUV. Read all the reviews of the '10 and '11 4Runner and lots of negatives reviews had me looking to Jeep GC, BMW X5. Test drove all three, bought the 4Runner two months ago and haven't looked back. Good and bad differences compared to my '04: eliminating the lighted running boards and locking gas cap on the '11 was disappointing, loved my '04 6 engine and it's acceleration, don't love my 11 engine with it's acceleration. '11 is wider interior and way more comfortable leather seats vs. '04. Overall I'm happy with it

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Toyota 4Runner Suv in VA is:

$136 per month*