Used 2011 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Toyota 4Runner SUV

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Love my 4-Runner!
By misspriss82

2011 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 4-Runner brand new a year ago. I have the Blizzard Pearl color with tan leather interior. I love it! It is a bit bigger than older 4-Runners, but the ride seems smoother for an SUV this size. I only have one complaint - the windshield wipers do not have a good medium speed, they are either way too fast or way too slow. The radio area could look fancier, but it's user friendly, so I don't really care about that. I plan on keeping this vehicle for a long time and I will continue to buy 4-Runners in the future.

Favorite Features

Beeping sensors in rear, bluetooth capability, satellite radio ready, height on the vehicle, almost no blind spots, the back seats reclining, all of the cup holders

Suggested Improvements

Windshield Wiper speeds, breaks are very "touchy" - but when I had to slam on them once I felt like the car was going to fly forward. - The look of the radio / temperature console could be nicer looking

Shocks...Please Ignore Earlier Comment
By alfonso_bedoya

2011 Toyota 4Runner SUV Trail 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

In an earlier post, a consumer commented on the weakness of the Toyota OEM shocks. The comment is inaccurate. The poster describes a condition which is clearly the result of driving style, not the performance of a 5,000lb truck. If you drive a truck the same as you may drive a BMW, the results will be dramatic and perhaps traumatic. Changing to Bilstein shocks will not help this problem. The shocks are fine. It ain't the car. And no, I do not work with or for Toyota in any way. i have been in the automotive biz my entire life and involved with motorsports for 30+ year, but never with Toyota.

trans shutter/lag/late downshift
By enuffznuff

2011 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I spoke with a danica sorenson at toyota executive offices and she said she did not want to get my hopes up but there might not be a fix for my problem. Can you believe such a response. ADVICE! File your arbitration request in your warranty booklet today, You have 3yrs or 36 thousand miles and engage attorneys for the presumed battle that will likely insue.

Favorite Features

how can you have any when a company has a second chance to redeem itself and they take the same posture that had failed them in the past.

Suggested Improvements

Have many but whos listening.

4runners are not what they used to be
By lillirs18

2011 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had the pleasure of owning 2 other 4runners before this one. One was a 2000 (leased but new) and the other I bought with 18,000 miles on it (2003) and had it until 118,000 miles when I decided to purchase a new 2011 model. While they did some nice improvements (love it being taller!) the quality isn't there anymore. I have had a rattling in the AC vent for 7 months (the dealership tried to fix it 5 times and still hasn't succeeded) and the paint chips so easily. And why would they keep the long antenna? I have been in touch with the dealership and Toyota customer service, and they just keep saying to take it to the dealership. Its a shame...

Suggested Improvements

Better paint, smaller antenna and better materials.

Solid reliable choice
By avoncarguy

2011 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The 4Runner is simply one of the most reliable long-term ownership SUV's out there - the statistics on how many are still on the road are off the charts (over 90% I believe). This feels as if it was carved out of a solid piece of steel. That reliability is the main reason why I purchased mine. We have two Toyota's - in additon to the 4Runner we also have a Highlander as well. The Highlander has more space to be honest / better for my wife & daughter, but it lacks the truck-like qualities I wanted (hence the 4Runner).

Favorite Features

Reliability, fit & finish, looks, interior.

Suggested Improvements

The brakes to be honest are not that great - Toyota really needs to improve them on this model. Could use more power as well.