2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

huge improvement
By feralcat

2011 Toyota 4Runner SUV Trail 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I refused to buy the previous generation 4Runner because it was too small and wimpy looking. My 2011 trail edition has been problem-free and has gone through several rough jeep trails without breathing hard. The size is perfect for us. The increased horsepower of the V6 is enough for long grades. I would and will get this again when the lease expires.

Favorite Features

Crawl control works great ! Auto trans is very smooth and works great at slowing vehicle on grades and snow. Ground clearance is excellent.

Suggested Improvements

Antenna on right front fender is kind of dumb in this day and age and susceptible to vandalism and damage when washing. Tougher tires should be available for the trail edition for those of us that actually drive off road a few times per year.

Shocks...Please Ignore Earlier Comment
By alfonso_bedoya

2011 Toyota 4Runner SUV Trail 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

In an earlier post, a consumer commented on the weakness of the Toyota OEM shocks. The comment is inaccurate. The poster describes a condition which is clearly the result of driving style, not the performance of a 5,000lb truck. If you drive a truck the same as you may drive a BMW, the results will be dramatic and perhaps traumatic. Changing to Bilstein shocks will not help this problem. The shocks are fine. It ain't the car. And no, I do not work with or for Toyota in any way. i have been in the automotive biz my entire life and involved with motorsports for 30+ year, but never with Toyota.

So Glad to be back in a 4runner!
By roedrunner

2011 Toyota 4Runner SUV Trail 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I previously had a 2005 4runner I had for almost 5 yrs (that I LOVED) and my brother talked me in to selling it to him. With a heavy heart I did so. I thought I'd try something new, so I bought a GMC Acadia, though roomy, it wasn't me and I sold it in 8 mos. Thought I'd try something different, so I looked at the Infinity EX35 and bought that. What was I thinking? Had it about a year until I could order a Trail to my exact specs. Yep, no test drive, nothing. I was excited to get back into a 4runner (which would feel like home). Well I've had Big Red (2010 Trail) for over a year now, and indeed, it does feel like home. 21K miles and I LOVE my truck!

Favorite Features

Love the brawny look. Love the waterproof fabric in the trail. Love teh pull out cargo table in the back, and oh yeah...party mode! Got mine just in time for the 2 yr maintenance plan...plus!

Suggested Improvements

Prefer the previous model steering wheel comfort.

Love it!
By rogersglobal

2011 Toyota 4Runner SUV Trail 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

So far so good! To date this is by far the best SUV I've owned. Toyota paid close attention to all the details and my 4Runner Trail Edition hasn't disappointed me yet.

Favorite Features

Sliding cargo space, reclining rear seats, AC Adapters, Streaming Bluetooth, comfortable seating, Kinetic Displacement Suspension makes it drive better than my car old car.

Suggested Improvements

Loose the arial antenna, add automatic headlights and a HUD.

Great vehicle for me
By UpState NY

2011 Toyota 4Runner SUV Trail 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Over 15,000 miles and not a single problem, and it performs as advertised. The Trail version has been great for off-road, winter driving, and long trips. I tow a 3500 lbs camper, with 2 canoes on roof, easily (about 12 mpg with big hills in ADK), but day-in-day-out driving on hilly Upstate back roads I average around 19 mpg. Longer trips I average from 20 to 21 mpg highway. Kids like the back sets that can recline a bit. Overall I like the functionality of the various standard Trail options/controls.

Favorite Features

Locking Differential for 4W is great 2H/4H/HL shifting is manual shift Lift gate window goes down - great for vent/access heated wiper blades styling features borrowed from FJ

Suggested Improvements

- more aggressive tires for the Trail model; it came with same as other packages. - not crazy about the slide-out storage shelf; takes up vertical room. - Wish it came with dog barrier option similar to Xterra that stores rolled up when not in use.