Used 2011 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Toyota 4Runner SUV

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

love my 4runner!
By havoc1649

2011 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Complaints: noisy blower fan, a little slow to build up when throttled up, complicated NAV (like all others) Pros: Everything else is great! Strong motor, smooth in all facets. Love the rear pull out deck for the kid's gear, very comfortable leather seats, awesome in poor winter weather, really just a great all around vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Blower motor fan noise reduction

First 4Runner
By 78vette1

2011 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

As this is my first 4Runner, I have been driving Toyotas since 1981. For dependability and reliability they are hard to beat. I wanted to drive the vehicle before I wrote my review so I could give my honest opinion and make a post for others as consumer reviews always help me in my purchasing decisions. I purchased a used 4runner in late December of 2013 with just under 17k miles.

Favorite Features

The ride is a bit stiffer than my Highlander but comfortable and handles well for its height. I don't have the steering wheel controls but all the buttons and dials are easy to reach and work well. For me gas mileage is exceptional. My 33 mile ride to work in Houston traffic with the more powerful V6 I am averaging 24.5 mpg. Even around town if you keep the Eco light on I am well over 20 mpg. This is better than my 4cy 2011 Highlander it replaced. Very roomy, fits the family well and can haul all my fishing gear or landscaping supplies well and easy to load.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes seem a little mushy compared to the other Toyotas I have owned but am told that is the way they are. Just a little time to get used to them but they stop fine. Also noticed the fan for the A/C doesn't blow as hard as previous cars, especially in the rear seats, but cools the cabin well. Would prefer white or purple dash lights (like our Sienna) as some days they are hard to see with the light on but easy to see at night.

Transmission Shudder from 1st to 2nd upshift
By giuseppeg

2011 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

June 15th, 2012 Toyota released TSB-0089-12 that affects 2010-2012 4Runners and calls for replacement of full transmission. www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/89301-has-anyone-noticed-10.html I know I'm covered for 5yr/60k miles power train but I traded it in for $28k (Paid $34k new) after 3 years of ownership for a 2014 Subaru Forester 2.0XT Touring.

Favorite Features

-Land Cruiser 150 platform ($20k cheaper than GX460) Great value (only lost $6k in 3 years) -2011 was 100% from Japan -2012 was 90% -Can roll down the trunk window for my dog -17mpg worst 23mpg best 20mpg avg lifetime -Completely fold flat 2nd and 3rd row seats -Bright stock headlights and rectangle DRL -9.6 ground clearance with hill decent control

Suggested Improvements

-Transmission slips ever since day 1 (It's more noticeable at slow speeds with ECO mode on) -Unstable on highway (Trial Limited suspension is much better than SR5. -Huge nose dive during braking (Feels soft and unresponsive) -2006 to 2009 Projector headlights was deleted on 2010 to 2013. 2014 4Runner brought it back. -1GR-FE engine outputs 254hp on regular gas not 270hp with 91 octane. -Impossible to clean rear spoiler window -3rd row seats can only fit little kids -No headroom for me 5'10 especially with sunroof -Useless $600 running board it came with the car -Embarrassing stock antenna sticks out from hood -5 speed auto really needs 6th gear for mpg

huge improvement
By feralcat

2011 Toyota 4Runner SUV Trail 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I refused to buy the previous generation 4Runner because it was too small and wimpy looking. My 2011 trail edition has been problem-free and has gone through several rough jeep trails without breathing hard. The size is perfect for us. The increased horsepower of the V6 is enough for long grades. I would and will get this again when the lease expires.

Favorite Features

Crawl control works great ! Auto trans is very smooth and works great at slowing vehicle on grades and snow. Ground clearance is excellent.

Suggested Improvements

Antenna on right front fender is kind of dumb in this day and age and susceptible to vandalism and damage when washing. Tougher tires should be available for the trail edition for those of us that actually drive off road a few times per year.

Great Car Horrible Tires
By nunnally

2011 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I really like this SUV but there is one small problem. THE TIRES ARE NOT AVAILABLE!!!! One of the tires blew out last night after having this car for ONE Week. The dealer told us the tire is not under the bumper to bumper warranty. We would have to purchase a new on if we can find one. The dealership told me that the tire is on national back order. Then they said the last time they had to order one of these Yokohama Geolander 245/60R20 tires it took over 3 months for it to come in. YOU THINK THIS IS SOMETHING TOYOTA WOULD HAVE TO DISCLOSE BEFORE THE SALE! Toyota really screwed us on this one. Stay away from this car unless you know how to fabricate you own tires.

Suggested Improvements

Toyota- Plan ahead. People will need tires on your vehicle eventually. Engineer this vehicle to accept a tire that is commonly available.