Used 2011 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Consumer Reviews - 6 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

4runner FanAtic
By Larry Smith

2011 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second 4Runner & it is everything my 06 was & more! Great work & recreational vehicle rolled into one reliable package. I can carry tools & a Little Giant ladder for work, or our three large Akitas for hiking. Fuel consumption is better too with an average of 20 - 21 mpg.

First 4Runner
By 78vette1

2011 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

As this is my first 4Runner, I have been driving Toyotas since 1981. For dependability and reliability they are hard to beat. I wanted to drive the vehicle before I wrote my review so I could give my honest opinion and make a post for others as consumer reviews always help me in my purchasing decisions. I purchased a used 4runner in late December of 2013 with just under 17k miles.
Part II
Quite a few miles later I am back to post a follow up to my fist review. Have been enjoying my 4-Runner for quite some time now and have put on a few additional miles. The ride is good, may be a bit stiff for some folks but considering the SUV is build on a truck chassis, is it smooth. Going off pavement is is not a problem. I don't go places where I need 4 wheel drive but do some fishing so getting off the pavement is easy. The truck makes you feel comfortable driving on grass, dirt, sand etc. and mives through the terrain easily.
The behicle is a 2011 and hasgiven me zero trouble. All I have done is routine oil and filter changes (includes air and cabin filters as well as oil filters) and rotated the tires since I have owned it. I believe this year I will be needing my first battery and new set of brakes. It fits myfamily of four and everyone has plenty of leg and head room.
The dash lights are orange which is not the best Toyota has done. During the daylight hours, it is nearly imopossible to see the clock, mileage gauge and other trip info. All the other gages are directly in front of the driver so no problem with those whatsoever. Radio controls are not bad, well within reach as I do not have steering wheel controls on this vehicle. Brkes are a bit soft compared to the other Toyota vehicles I have owned. Dealer says that's how 4-Runners are so getting used to that took some time. The A/C blows nice and cold but not strong. If you're looking for the fan to propell the cold air from the vents to mKe your hair blow like a strong wind, i won't happen but it cools the vehicle sufficiently. All other operations are typical Toyota, easy to reach and work as they are intended to. Miss my pick-up but really like this SUV and would definitely buy another.

4runners are not what they used to be
By lillirs18

2011 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had the pleasure of owning 2 other 4runners before this one. One was a 2000 (leased but new) and the other I bought with 18,000 miles on it (2003) and had it until 118,000 miles when I decided to purchase a new 2011 model. While they did some nice improvements (love it being taller!) the quality isn't there anymore. I have had a rattling in the AC vent for 7 months (the dealership tried to fix it 5 times and still hasn't succeeded) and the paint chips so easily. And why would they keep the long antenna? I have been in touch with the dealership and Toyota customer service, and they just keep saying to take it to the dealership. Its a shame...

Better paint, smaller antenna and better materials.

Too many negatives.
By emoore20

2011 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After owning the 2011 4runner for less than a month I began to notice several “NEGATIVES” about the vehicle which weren’t apparent after one test drive at the dealership.
1)The transmission is very jerky. Pressing on the gas from a dead stop will result in a jerk forward followed by a slight shimmer in the suspension.
2) The vehicle is painfully slow. 3) Vehicle makes a whistling sound or tone that is related to the SUVs aerodynamics (very boxy).
4) Thin sheet metal hood. Shakes at higher speeds. 5) Susceptible to crosswinds.
6) The paint quality is horrible.
7) The breaks on this vehicle feel very spongy and too sensitive.
8) The Variable Stability Control is very abrupt and awkward.

Nice cloth seats, rides high, sliding rear window.

Everything - start from scratch and model after the eairler higher quality 4runners.

Love this 4runner; loved last 4runner
By 4runnersRock

2011 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Sold 1998 v6 ltd 4runner for 2011. Couldn't afford Ltd, but no regrets. Tried a few crossovers first(Highlander & glitzy cheaper Veracruz) but once in 4runner I knew it was the one. V6 in 2011 is so much more powerful than v6 in 1998(w/o giving up same gas mileage- avg 19.8 mpg), more spacious too & rides high which makes me feel like a queen & easy to see when navigating traffic. Love Toy kept the power tailgate window (no one else has this). Fold down flat back seats- great for dogs & hauling long items. Cargo space better than crossovers. 4runner's great quality, reliability, style, rear psgr heat, & 2-year Free maint very nice to have. Will keep 12+ yrs again. Very happy w/ choice!

Very powerful v6. Sits hi, so is easy to see around navigating traffic. Pwr tailgate window. Style in & out. Very smooth for SUV. Reliability. Spacious cargo. Cargo cover avail. Value-5 year loss in maint & depreciation better than many. 2 year free maint service.

Ability to convert open side panel spaces where 3rd row seats go to covered storage. Ability to shut off rear psgr heat so it only goes to front if no rear psngrs-more efficient. Pwr antennae w/ basic sr5. Upgrades too $$$, so found basic w/ few upgrds I wanted now & will have to upgrd rest on own.