2011 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
First 4Runner
By 78vette1 on 06/28/14 05:36 AM (PDT)

2011 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

As this is my first 4Runner, I have been driving Toyotas since 1981. For dependability and reliability they are hard to beat. I wanted to drive the vehicle before I wrote my review so I could give my honest opinion and make a post for others as consumer reviews always help me in my purchasing decisions. I purchased a used 4runner in late December of 2013 with just under 17k miles.

Transmission Shudder from 1st to 2nd upshift
By giuseppeg on 06/23/13 15:34 PM (PDT)

2011 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

June 15th, 2012 Toyota released TSB-0089-12 that affects 2010-2012 4Runners and calls for replacement of full transmission. www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/89301-has-anyone-noticed-10.html I know I'm covered for 5yr/60k miles power train but I traded it in for $28k (Paid $34k new) after 3 years of ownership for a 2014 Subaru Forester 2.0XT Touring.

huge improvement
By feralcat on 02/24/13 15:18 PM (PST)

2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I refused to buy the previous generation 4Runner because it was too small and wimpy looking. My 2011 trail edition has been problem-free and has gone through several rough jeep trails without breathing hard. The size is perfect for us. The increased horsepower of the V6 is enough for long grades. I would and will get this again when the lease expires.

Great Car Horrible Tires
By nunnally on 10/08/12 14:08 PM (PDT)

2011 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I really like this SUV but there is one small problem. THE TIRES ARE NOT AVAILABLE!!!! One of the tires blew out last night after having this car for ONE Week. The dealer told us the tire is not under the bumper to bumper warranty. We would have to purchase a new on if we can find one. The dealership told me that the tire is on national back order. Then they said the last time they had to order one of these Yokohama Geolander 245/60R20 tires it took over 3 months for it to come in. YOU THINK THIS IS SOMETHING TOYOTA WOULD HAVE TO DISCLOSE BEFORE THE SALE! Toyota really screwed us on this one. Stay away from this car unless you know how to fabricate you own tires.

Love my 4-Runner!
By misspriss82 on 09/23/12 10:11 AM (PDT)

2011 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 4-Runner brand new a year ago. I have the Blizzard Pearl color with tan leather interior. I love it! It is a bit bigger than older 4-Runners, but the ride seems smoother for an SUV this size. I only have one complaint - the windshield wipers do not have a good medium speed, they are either way too fast or way too slow. The radio area could look fancier, but it's user friendly, so I don't really care about that. I plan on keeping this vehicle for a long time and I will continue to buy 4-Runners in the future.

Shocks...Please Ignore Earlier Comment
By alfonso_bedoya on 08/19/12 18:14 PM (PDT)

2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

In an earlier post, a consumer commented on the weakness of the Toyota OEM shocks. The comment is inaccurate. The poster describes a condition which is clearly the result of driving style, not the performance of a 5,000lb truck. If you drive a truck the same as you may drive a BMW, the results will be dramatic and perhaps traumatic. Changing to Bilstein shocks will not help this problem. The shocks are fine. It ain't the car. And no, I do not work with or for Toyota in any way. i have been in the automotive biz my entire life and involved with motorsports for 30+ year, but never with Toyota.

trans shutter/lag/late downshift
By enuffznuff on 06/29/12 11:33 AM (PDT)

2011 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I spoke with a danica sorenson at toyota executive offices and she said she did not want to get my hopes up but there might not be a fix for my problem. Can you believe such a response. ADVICE! File your arbitration request in your warranty booklet today, You have 3yrs or 36 thousand miles and engage attorneys for the presumed battle that will likely insue.

4runners are not what they used to be
By lillirs18 on 05/31/12 14:25 PM (PDT)

2011 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had the pleasure of owning 2 other 4runners before this one. One was a 2000 (leased but new) and the other I bought with 18,000 miles on it (2003) and had it until 118,000 miles when I decided to purchase a new 2011 model. While they did some nice improvements (love it being taller!) the quality isn't there anymore. I have had a rattling in the AC vent for 7 months (the dealership tried to fix it 5 times and still hasn't succeeded) and the paint chips so easily. And why would they keep the long antenna? I have been in touch with the dealership and Toyota customer service, and they just keep saying to take it to the dealership. Its a shame...

Solid reliable choice
By avoncarguy on 04/24/12 12:36 PM (PDT)

2011 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The 4Runner is simply one of the most reliable long-term ownership SUV's out there - the statistics on how many are still on the road are off the charts (over 90% I believe). This feels as if it was carved out of a solid piece of steel. That reliability is the main reason why I purchased mine. We have two Toyota's - in additon to the 4Runner we also have a Highlander as well. The Highlander has more space to be honest / better for my wife & daughter, but it lacks the truck-like qualities I wanted (hence the 4Runner).

4 runner 2011
By yermack on 04/24/12 08:45 AM (PDT)

2011 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've bought '11 model more than one year ago v6 4L. It feels really big but controls are easy and comfortable. Heating-cooling controls do not work properly-you cannot adjust normal temperature. the gas mpg is pretty good for this monster especially if ECO mode is on. Driving very smooth and slow that annoying in the city traffic.

1 2 3 4 5 next »

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Toyota 4Runner in VA is:

$135 per month*