Used 2010 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Toyota 4Runner SUV

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Tough, rugged truck
By Duke

2010 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I searched a long time for a vehicle that was right for me. I didn't like most SUVs because they either had poor gas mileage or were too small. I looked at CUVs which seemed more like a minivan alternative than a utility vehicle and not really made to go off road. The 4Runner offers good mileage (I'm getting 20 mpg combined), comfort, technology - voice command, BT, Satellite radio, rear camera, USB, Nav, etc. - so it works well for my daily driving AND is built to tow, haul, go off road - so great for getaways with the family and friends.

Favorite Features

Satellite radio, 15 speaker sound system, roll down rear window, reclining back seat, height and size. Off - road and towing capabilities.

Suggested Improvements

My 8 year old could use running boards. Mudflaps would be nice too.

Bastard child
By 4Runner5thGen

2010 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Do you know what you get when you cross the FJ Cruiser and the 4th generation 4Runner? The 5th generation 4Runner. I affectionately call it the "bastard child" regarding its new look. A combination of each. I understand Toyota is discontinuing the FJ and I believe they intentionally designed the new 4Runner to reflect both looks to appeal to both buyers. I just traded my 2004 Sport V8 AWD for this new guy and yes it has a few shortcomings in comparison but I hope I love it in the long run as I have my 04.

Favorite Features

Size is now perfect.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage.

Suburban Hauler
By David

2010 Toyota 4Runner SUV Trail 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After driving Ford explorers for over 10 years, I purchased the 4runner 3 months ago. Likes: -dealer experience -build quality (except doors tinny when shut hard) -big buttons -gas mileage really 17 city/ 23 freeway -practical, not luxurious -rides well on rough dirt roads, as well as smooth pavement -quiet cabin -quiet engine (like a sewing machine) -satellite radio, usb port, -not a minivan -power rear window (excellent ventilation when combined with sunroof) -rear seats fold down flat dislikes: -way too high off the ground and no running boards -orange dials very difficult to read in bright sunlight -too much hard plastic -needs optional cargo cover

Favorite Features

Rear window, USB port

Suggested Improvements

More soft plastic, running boards

Great 4x4 in the era of crossovers
By Matt

2010 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We just picked up our new 4Runner - I have to say - after seeing the new Explorer today I am so happy with the decision to buy the 4Runner - this is a real 4X4 SUV and includes everything we could want in a truck. We opted for the 3rd row with leather and convenience package. The fit is perfect, the interior is perfect and the drive is what I would expect from a 4X4. I can't wait to put the truck to the test and I will be sure to post an update at 10,000 miles. In my opinion (after owning an Explorer, Mountaineer, Tahoe, Equinox and Jeep) this is the best deal out there. Nice work Toyota!

Favorite Features

4X4, Seats, Bluetooth, Interior space, Exterior look, 3rd row, Stereo system, Storage compartments, 120V outlets, sunroof, XM radio.

Suggested Improvements

Just add running boards - this should be standard with the height of the vehicle.

No comfort at all-go with a Pathfinder
By 1mustanglover

2010 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a 4runner and I'm disappointed. The seats are very hard and cramped, you feel every bump in the road and the braking is abrupt. Way stiffer of a ride and i would recommend the Pathfinder any day. Also the 3rd row seat is useless, there is virtually no leg room at all.

Favorite Features

Outer design

Suggested Improvements

Comfort overall