Used 2010 Toyota 4Runner Trail SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Awesome
By darb1brad

2010 Toyota 4Runner SUV Trail 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Had a 2003 4Runner Limited V8 that I totaled in June '10. Wasn't really interested in another 4Runner at first. 4th Gen was too cramped on the interior, always felt too narrow in the driver's seat, but it was admittedly a GREAT truck. Had my mind changed because: 1) NO injuries in the wreck to me or my daughter; and 2) It was 7 years old with 115k miles, and I got 60% of my original purchase price from insurance when it was totaled. New 4Runner, here I come! The Trail is AWESOME. Feels bigger in the interior. Styling is much more masculine than the 4th Gen. Figured out how to turn off economy mode, and throttle response/shift pattern is MUCH better.

Favorite Features

Styling, interior and especially exterior. Love the off- road controls - can't get this kind of gear unless you go up to a Range Rover. This was a great purchase.

Suggested Improvements

SO FAR, the V6 has been enough - though I do miss the V8 from the 4th Gen on occasion. Would really love to have the Tundra V8 in this thing, but I'll live! I agree that the Trail really needs some running boards - it's high - though IMHO should be some tubular boards powder coated in black!

4-runner
By mike

2010 Toyota 4Runner SUV Trail 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Nice sized 4-wheeler with Toyota reliability. Excellent turning radius with good steering feel. Would be nice if the 5.7 v-8 from the Tundra was an option- could use a little more torque going up steep hills. Seems like the Bean Counters took over the final design of the latest 4-runner.

Favorite Features

Auto up/down windows, locking rear differential,size,resale value,power seats, off-roading ability

Suggested Improvements

Interior fuel door release (like the old model had), assist grab handles for the driver/rear passengers,real off road tires and k.d.s.s. standard for the trail model,rear hatch is heavy and needs power assist, make cargo tray an option,get rid of the non- functional boy racer hood scoop,v-8 option

Great off the road
By Last Dollar

2010 Toyota 4Runner SUV Trail 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Just got back from a month in the Colorado Rockies. Had the vehicle over 13,000 ft and it was still looking for trees to climb. Best 4WD I've ever had. Great size to get through narrow, one way passes. Short wheel base & turning radius make switch backs a breeze. One of the smoothest riding vehicles I've ever had on the highway.

Favorite Features

The Trail has many off road features that make me very comfortable. I used all five skid plates.

Suggested Improvements

Running boards.

Suburban Hauler
By David

2010 Toyota 4Runner SUV Trail 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After driving Ford explorers for over 10 years, I purchased the 4runner 3 months ago. Likes: -dealer experience -build quality (except doors tinny when shut hard) -big buttons -gas mileage really 17 city/ 23 freeway -practical, not luxurious -rides well on rough dirt roads, as well as smooth pavement -quiet cabin -quiet engine (like a sewing machine) -satellite radio, usb port, -not a minivan -power rear window (excellent ventilation when combined with sunroof) -rear seats fold down flat dislikes: -way too high off the ground and no running boards -orange dials very difficult to read in bright sunlight -too much hard plastic -needs optional cargo cover

Favorite Features

Rear window, USB port

Suggested Improvements

More soft plastic, running boards

Worst Seats
By Ted

2010 Toyota 4Runner SUV Trail 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had 2008 Limited V8,4WD sold and bought 2010 Trail with all the options. First, the seats are like bench seats of churches, so hard. Only a few minutes ride, even my friends complained how hard and uncomfortable they were. I bought many cushions to relieve the hardness, but no solutions. I tried to voice out this problem both to dealership and Toyota HQ. After 3 months, customer service of Toyota wrote to me that could not do anything and sorry for dissatisfaction in advance. No wonder Toyota is losing faithful customers like us. We bought 5 Toyotas including Lexus LX470, all new. I will not buy another Toyota ever again. The new V6 is no match for previous V8, with no MPG advantage.

Favorite Features

Kinetic 4wd suspension

Suggested Improvements

Totally redesign seats, sluggish auto trans especially from dead stop and slower speed, seems not to be able to find the proper gear. Much poorer engine performance. Bring the V8 back! Customer oriented customer service desperately needed. Poorer(cheaper) parts need to be replaced.