2008 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Review: Maybe saved my life

2008 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Review

SR5 4dr SUV (4.0L V6 4x4 5-speed Automatic)

Maybe saved my life
By rjw2000 on

2008 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

In June of 2013, a full-sized crew cab Chevy pickup ran a red light and hit my left front corner. My left rear corner swung around and his his R. R. side. $23,000 body damage to 4runner, and they couldn't open the hood. Front end was bent about 10" to the right. Adjuster said the 4runner probably saved me from serious injury or worse. I came out without a scratch. The dealer found me an '08 with only 29k miles- it's virtually identical, but grey not black. It's been a great vehicle. It's been elk hunting in CO, fishing on logging roads in Canada, and through some bad winters in MN. Excellent vehicle. I get 19 mpg unless towing a heavy boat, (16). 24 at 65 on the freeway.

Favorite Features

On rough 30 mph roads, every bump is a hard shock, probably worse because I have some very hard Michelins. However, on a smooth freeway it's like flying a plane. I've never had such a smooth riding Interstate vehicle. I've driven to the west coast twice, and it was a joy. The unstopability of the 4runner in snow and mud is quite remarkable, and I just have road tires. In four low, locked up, I have been able to pull some very heavy vehicles out of trouble. Maintenance, except greasing the drive shaft, is very, very easy. The brakes are remarkable, and showed very little wear at 81k. Offroad, it's easy to scratch the paint- but that's offroad. Day to day, no problem.

Suggested Improvements

Perhaps softer tires would help, but the hard shocks in parking lots, etc. are a bit jolting, but, after all, it is a truck. I am very fussy about maintenance, but at 81k on my first one, and 49k on the second, I have had no costs except maintenance. I drove a CRV before this, and it had more cubbies and cupholders. That might sound silly, but it would be a plus. At 5' 10" there is adequate headroom, but it would be hard if I was 6'4". It is a remarkable machine.