2008 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Review: Love the V8

2008 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Review

Love the V8
By T4R2008 on

2008 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I've been driving for more than 20 years now and this is my first vehicle with automatic transmission. I always had sports sedans before. I love this SUV. I tested the V6 but found it too buzzy and underpowered (my last car was a Subaru Legacy GT though which was very fast). The V8 is buttery smooth. The ride on the highway is almost as smooth as my wife's Lexus GX470. Great size (not too big, not too small). Trip computer is a bit optimistic. I average about only 17mpg doing mostly highway driving at 70-75 mph. Hopefully fuel stays cheap!

Looks like a real SUV should. Cross-overs don't do it for me. Quiet and solid feeling. Drive through a 3 foot tall snow bank like it's not even there.

SR5 radio sounds pathetic. Paint chips very easily on the front bumper and hood. Mileage is not great for a mid-size SUV. My friend's full size GMC V8 pickup gets the same mileage. How about cylinder-deactivation on the V8 like GM and Dodge? Headroom is very limited in the front seat & I'm only 6'