Used 2008 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota 4Runner SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Love it
By Mike

2008 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Its a smooth ride for such a strong SUV. The v6 version is the one I bought. In comparison to the ford and the chevy it had about the same power but more pick up and go in the 4runner. Size wise its about the same.

The rear window is power so in the summer its going to be nice to put that down and get some air flow.

A little nicer interior its about the same boringness of the competitors but its still dull

Truly the best vehicle I ever bought
By jimmy2x

2008 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Well - this is my 1st SUV. Was purchased pretty much for cross-country traveling. Rides much better than expected given that it is body-on-frame with a solid rear axle. Of course that is what gives the 4Runner true off-road capability which includes true 4-wheel LO with the ability to lock up the axles. Excellent tracking in rain and snow with at least a reasonable chance of getting out if you foul up and get stuck. Leather seats are comfortable and multi-adjustable. Good visibility and the LTD comes with a back-up camera that plays thru the nav system for a decent view behind you. Rear hatch closes electrically once you get close to avoid slamming. Not a rattle or a squeak

NO rattles or squeaks. Electric rear window. Heated seats. Very smooth ride on the highway. Compass in rear-view mirror. Nav has a good sized screen with adjustments for brightness and color. A bit daunting to learn for an "old guy", but I'm getting there. JBL stereo. Steering wheel controls.

The dial type climate controls are a gimmick that is a pain - you really have to hunt for the right point to push. More standard slide and turn type switches easier. More lighted switches - knew this when I bought and have learned my way by "feel", but better interior lighting would be helpful.

My Runner
By Luke82

2008 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Well got my 4Runner back in April 2008 and already have 12,000 miles, this cars runs great so far. It's a V6 Sport Package and it looks mean with that hood scoop! The car does its work how SUV should. The power is great the comfort is great just took it hunting and off road so it's a good piece of machine. I would recommend this SUV over any American made SUV!

Sport Package. Slide down rear glass.

Toyota don't ever take out the sliding glass in the back out!

This thing is amazing...
By Dbone

2008 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned a few vehicles in my time and nothing comes close to matching the overall quality and purchase experience I have gotten with the Runner. I went with the limited V8. Oh so smooth and quiet and not a single rattle... Handles unbelievably with the XREAS. Gas mileage more than reasonable for the smoothness, quietness and capability provided. Have had it for almost a year now and my feeling is that I will be able to keep this thing for my planned minimum 10 years easy. I can not say enough about this truck... very attached to it :-) I considered a new Pathfinder. Not the same vehicle for sure. Could have gotten a much better deal on the Nissan but just couldn't do it.

Smooth quiet riding, impeccable build quality, XREAS, self-leveling rear suspension for towing.

Seats could be better but not bad, had worse. Once I took the time to adjust them appropriately they were more than fine. This truck is as close to perfect for the money that I have been able to ever find.

2008 4runner
By John

2008 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Having previously purchased other makes and models (this is my first Toyota), this car is excellent. I have taken it everywhere, including on the beach! I am certain I will have this vehicle many years to come. I have owned Fords, Jeep (I liked my Jeep by the way), but this truck is top of the heap!

Responsive 4wd system. Traction is excellent.

Interior could have some styling improvements.