Used 2008 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews - 70 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota 4Runner SUV

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Love the 4Runner
By Jim

2008 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love everything about this car. The quality is tops. Visibility, handling, looks are all great. I got the Salsa Red.

Moon roof, retractable rear window. Sound system, heavy duty suspension, 18 inch tires,

None

Okay vehicle
By Randy

2008 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I drove two Pathfinders for a total of almost 20 years and wish I had stuck with them. While I agree with what most of the reviewers say about the SR5, I find it difficult to understand when they say it has a smooth ride. To the contrary, I find it stiff, bouncy, and very fatiguing, and nothing like the Pathfinders which were very smooth and non-fatiguing. One other gripe. The displays for the radio/CDP and the stuff below are extremely dim. I can barely read them in daylight hours and there's no way to brighten them up. Audio quality is also mediocre. I will keep it for three years or less and then trade it in when I can afford to.

None I can think of. Perhaps it's build quality, but it's brand new so have no way of knowing what the long term outcome will be.

Soften up that ride and do something about the display as noted above. It is extremely dim.

Best SUV
By James

2008 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I recently bought my 3rd 4Runner. I absolutely love this vehicle. It handles nicely and has plenty of room inside. I have never had mechanical issues with any of my 4Runners. The reliability is unbeatable. If taken care of property, this vehicle could last for an easy 10 years or more. I can't imagine driving any else!

Exterior appearance. Rides smoothly. Handles great on the road. Love the leather interior. Great storage space.

Update the interior controls.

Love it
By Mike

2008 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Its a smooth ride for such a strong SUV. The v6 version is the one I bought. In comparison to the ford and the chevy it had about the same power but more pick up and go in the 4runner. Size wise its about the same.

The rear window is power so in the summer its going to be nice to put that down and get some air flow.

A little nicer interior its about the same boringness of the competitors but its still dull

Truly the best vehicle I ever bought
By jimmy2x

2008 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Well - this is my 1st SUV. Was purchased pretty much for cross-country traveling. Rides much better than expected given that it is body-on-frame with a solid rear axle. Of course that is what gives the 4Runner true off-road capability which includes true 4-wheel LO with the ability to lock up the axles. Excellent tracking in rain and snow with at least a reasonable chance of getting out if you foul up and get stuck. Leather seats are comfortable and multi-adjustable. Good visibility and the LTD comes with a back-up camera that plays thru the nav system for a decent view behind you. Rear hatch closes electrically once you get close to avoid slamming. Not a rattle or a squeak

NO rattles or squeaks. Electric rear window. Heated seats. Very smooth ride on the highway. Compass in rear-view mirror. Nav has a good sized screen with adjustments for brightness and color. A bit daunting to learn for an "old guy", but I'm getting there. JBL stereo. Steering wheel controls.

The dial type climate controls are a gimmick that is a pain - you really have to hunt for the right point to push. More standard slide and turn type switches easier. More lighted switches - knew this when I bought and have learned my way by "feel", but better interior lighting would be helpful.