Used 2008 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota 4runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Love Toyota
By PHIL

2008 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have a 2008 Sport Edition with the V8. I love driving the car. For a truck based chassis, it is a nice ride. If I wanted a car base SUV, I would have purchased a car or a Highlander. The gas mileage could be better, but after all it is a truck with a big V8.

Favorite Features

Easy access of controls.

Suggested Improvements

The seat needs to be able to angle up more.

Love the V8
By T4R2008

2008 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I've been driving for more than 20 years now and this is my first vehicle with automatic transmission. I always had sports sedans before. I love this SUV. I tested the V6 but found it too buzzy and underpowered (my last car was a Subaru Legacy GT though which was very fast). The V8 is buttery smooth. The ride on the highway is almost as smooth as my wife's Lexus GX470. Great size (not too big, not too small). Trip computer is a bit optimistic. I average about only 17mpg doing mostly highway driving at 70-75 mph. Hopefully fuel stays cheap!

Favorite Features

Looks like a real SUV should. Cross-overs don't do it for me. Quiet and solid feeling. Drive through a 3 foot tall snow bank like it's not even there.

Suggested Improvements

SR5 radio sounds pathetic. Paint chips very easily on the front bumper and hood. Mileage is not great for a mid-size SUV. My friend's full size GMC V8 pickup gets the same mileage. How about cylinder-deactivation on the V8 like GM and Dodge? Headroom is very limited in the front seat & I'm only 6'

Love the 4Runner
By Jim

2008 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love everything about this car. The quality is tops. Visibility, handling, looks are all great. I got the Salsa Red.

Favorite Features

Moon roof, retractable rear window. Sound system, heavy duty suspension, 18 inch tires,

Suggested Improvements

None

Okay vehicle
By Randy

2008 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I drove two Pathfinders for a total of almost 20 years and wish I had stuck with them. While I agree with what most of the reviewers say about the SR5, I find it difficult to understand when they say it has a smooth ride. To the contrary, I find it stiff, bouncy, and very fatiguing, and nothing like the Pathfinders which were very smooth and non-fatiguing. One other gripe. The displays for the radio/CDP and the stuff below are extremely dim. I can barely read them in daylight hours and there's no way to brighten them up. Audio quality is also mediocre. I will keep it for three years or less and then trade it in when I can afford to.

Favorite Features

None I can think of. Perhaps it's build quality, but it's brand new so have no way of knowing what the long term outcome will be.

Suggested Improvements

Soften up that ride and do something about the display as noted above. It is extremely dim.

Best SUV
By James

2008 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I recently bought my 3rd 4Runner. I absolutely love this vehicle. It handles nicely and has plenty of room inside. I have never had mechanical issues with any of my 4Runners. The reliability is unbeatable. If taken care of property, this vehicle could last for an easy 10 years or more. I can't imagine driving any else!

Favorite Features

Exterior appearance. Rides smoothly. Handles great on the road. Love the leather interior. Great storage space.

Suggested Improvements

Update the interior controls.