Used 2008 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews - 70 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota 4Runner

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Great vehicle
By Josh

2008 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought the 4Runner for my wife's daily driver to haul all the baby gear as well as vacation traveler that can drive out on the beach, etc. It is the best-quality vehicle we've ever owned by far. It has enough power (V6) and the XREAS makes the handling very good for a truck-based SUV. Interior and controls are top-notch, and it's a great looking SUV, especially in black. Only complaint is cargo space is low compared to a highlander, but that's the trade off for an SUV with a body-on-frame construction. We have a large Yakima box for the roof which fits all the overflow cargo when going on vacation. Overall, highly suggested and I hope Toyota never gets rid of the great 4Runner.

Roll-down rear gate window, seat adjustability is great, BRAKES are awesome (better than some sports cars I've owned), engine super-smooth, 4WD features are nice and easy to use, vehicle is quiet on the highway. Rear blind-spot backing mirrors are a nice touch too!

Base audio system is mediocre. I replaced it with the factory Pioneer head unit/Ipod controller out of a Scion, which is a perfect fit and plug-and-play. You can find them on ebay for $30-50 easily and it's a nice upgrade. Flat crossbars on the rack would be nice for cargo-carrying

Saved My Life
By John

2008 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I drove a 2006 4Runner until it was totaled on January 29, 2009. That vehicle gave me back my life. It suffered a severe side impact at 55 MPH, rolled twice, slid on its roof and ended up with the driver's side on the ground. I walked away with no serious injuries. Even though there was severe damage to the sides and roof of the vehicle and suspension parts and some of the drivetrain were all over the highway, the roof pillars never collapsed and the interior was intact. Before making the 06 purchase, I did check to see which SUV's best protect their occupants. The 4Runner was the leader hands down. Now I am driving an 08. This time I made sure that I had the side curtain air bags.

Very comfortable and fun to drive on our three hour drive to the mountains. Capable of off-road navigation from the dealer. My dogs love the rear cargo area.

I love this vehicle
By reggie1906

2008 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first SUV and I have test driven plenty of them. The design of this vehicle is awesome. Although the mileage is not that great it does very well on the highway. If you haven't purchased one yet get out and get one.

Nav system, driver seat memory, bluetooth connection

Better volume on the bluetooth speaker, would be great if the nav system named the streets to turn on.

Love Toyota
By PHIL

2008 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have a 2008 Sport Edition with the V8. I love driving the car. For a truck based chassis, it is a nice ride. If I wanted a car base SUV, I would have purchased a car or a Highlander. The gas mileage could be better, but after all it is a truck with a big V8.

Easy access of controls.

The seat needs to be able to angle up more.

Love the V8
By T4R2008

2008 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I've been driving for more than 20 years now and this is my first vehicle with automatic transmission. I always had sports sedans before. I love this SUV. I tested the V6 but found it too buzzy and underpowered (my last car was a Subaru Legacy GT though which was very fast). The V8 is buttery smooth. The ride on the highway is almost as smooth as my wife's Lexus GX470. Great size (not too big, not too small). Trip computer is a bit optimistic. I average about only 17mpg doing mostly highway driving at 70-75 mph. Hopefully fuel stays cheap!

Looks like a real SUV should. Cross-overs don't do it for me. Quiet and solid feeling. Drive through a 3 foot tall snow bank like it's not even there.

SR5 radio sounds pathetic. Paint chips very easily on the front bumper and hood. Mileage is not great for a mid-size SUV. My friend's full size GMC V8 pickup gets the same mileage. How about cylinder-deactivation on the V8 like GM and Dodge? Headroom is very limited in the front seat & I'm only 6'