Used 2008 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota 4Runner SUV

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Love my 4runner!
By Yota AK

2008 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 4runnner because I had a severe shoulder injury where I could not drive my manual 2006 Tacoma. Of course nothing could replace my truck, the 4Runner came in next. I bought it because there is the potential for my family to grow. Living in Alaska, there is A LOT to do, and even more to see and I need a vehicle that would take me where I needed to go and all the gear I need to take with me. I tow a fleetwood evolution trailer with my V6 and it is noticed, but not a hindrance. I love driving my sport edition and love the XREAS suspension. The fuel economy display is inaccurate at best, but I have no real complaints. It does what I want it to do, and in style and comfort.

Favorite Features

The sport edition with the 8 speakers is among the best stock stereos I have heard. I really like that the back window goes down, so do my dogs. Fold flat seats allow me to sleep when I go camping and fishing. We'll see how it does on my trip to the arctic circle next month.

Suggested Improvements

Better stereo head unit. More aggressive front end. More power source adapters.

Major Exhuast & Emission Problem
By Major Exhaust prob..

2008 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have already taken my '08 Toy. 4Runner 5 times to 3 different Toyota dealerships for service... they've changed my catalytic converter and I still have a problem with my exhaust and emission system of this car. When I drive it in the highway in the speeds of 60 MPH and faster I get a real STRONG and HEAVY sulfuric and ammonia scent entering inside of the vehicle which gives me a headache and bothers my newborn baby. I basically cannot drive this automobile with my windows down!!! Toyota service is the worst that I've ever seen!!!

Suggested Improvements

Toyota needs to fix their exhaust and emission systems on their 4Runners!!!

Great vehicle
By Josh

2008 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought the 4Runner for my wife's daily driver to haul all the baby gear as well as vacation traveler that can drive out on the beach, etc. It is the best-quality vehicle we've ever owned by far. It has enough power (V6) and the XREAS makes the handling very good for a truck-based SUV. Interior and controls are top-notch, and it's a great looking SUV, especially in black. Only complaint is cargo space is low compared to a highlander, but that's the trade off for an SUV with a body-on-frame construction. We have a large Yakima box for the roof which fits all the overflow cargo when going on vacation. Overall, highly suggested and I hope Toyota never gets rid of the great 4Runner.

Favorite Features

Roll-down rear gate window, seat adjustability is great, BRAKES are awesome (better than some sports cars I've owned), engine super-smooth, 4WD features are nice and easy to use, vehicle is quiet on the highway. Rear blind-spot backing mirrors are a nice touch too!

Suggested Improvements

Base audio system is mediocre. I replaced it with the factory Pioneer head unit/Ipod controller out of a Scion, which is a perfect fit and plug-and-play. You can find them on ebay for $30-50 easily and it's a nice upgrade. Flat crossbars on the rack would be nice for cargo-carrying

Saved My Life
By John

2008 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I drove a 2006 4Runner until it was totaled on January 29, 2009. That vehicle gave me back my life. It suffered a severe side impact at 55 MPH, rolled twice, slid on its roof and ended up with the driver's side on the ground. I walked away with no serious injuries. Even though there was severe damage to the sides and roof of the vehicle and suspension parts and some of the drivetrain were all over the highway, the roof pillars never collapsed and the interior was intact. Before making the 06 purchase, I did check to see which SUV's best protect their occupants. The 4Runner was the leader hands down. Now I am driving an 08. This time I made sure that I had the side curtain air bags.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable and fun to drive on our three hour drive to the mountains. Capable of off-road navigation from the dealer. My dogs love the rear cargo area.

I love this vehicle
By reggie1906

2008 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first SUV and I have test driven plenty of them. The design of this vehicle is awesome. Although the mileage is not that great it does very well on the highway. If you haven't purchased one yet get out and get one.

Favorite Features

Nav system, driver seat memory, bluetooth connection

Suggested Improvements

Better volume on the bluetooth speaker, would be great if the nav system named the streets to turn on.