Used 2008 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews - 70 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota 4Runner SUV

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Just Browsing
By v84runner

2008 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Went looking for an SUV at a Chevy dealer and bought a Toyota 4runner, we were so impressed with the vehicle and I (male) love looking at it in the driveway as well as driving it. I read the reviews and say they are spot on! Paint chips easily and the front end/hood needs to be more aggressive. We have the hood scoop with a V8 and Magnaflow exhaust...sounds great, drives great. This vehicle is fun to drive, handles great, and is solid! We looked at/drove Hummer H3, Jeep Laredo, Pathfinder, but walked away with the 4runner on the spot! We never owned a Toyota before, but we are extremely glad we bought this one. Never buying an American model again, over priced!

V8, AWD...fast! Like the interior also, but living in Vegas we have recently had problems with the CD Changer/radio display because of the heat. Not sure what's going on, but CD's are getting kicked out on start up. H3 didn't offer the rear air vents, amongst other standard features on Toyota!

Stereo is great, cargo room is great, features are great, but the hood needs to be a little more aggressive. Even with the scoop/faux air intake, it's too slanted forward. But if that is the least of my worries, I can live with it!

I Love This SUV
By Old Coot

2008 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I test drove many SUVs until I got into this 4runner. Right away I could sense that this vehicle was a step up to another level. It's definitely in another league from the all wheel drives and cross overs. It drove like a luxury car and I and my wife were hooked. We love this truck. Can't wait to go out into the desert 4 wheeling and exploring.

Everything.

I found the paint chips easily on the front of the hood after a long drive on the freeway.

2008 Urban Runner Sport
By Mark S.

2008 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I originally wanted a Tundra Limited Pickup because of the versatility, the sunroof, and the electric back window, but it wouldn't fit in the garage, so I waited until there was a 0% financing option and bought the 4- Runner. I love it with a few reservations. As I've read in other reviews, the mpg indicator is somewhat optimistic. I've been averaging about 20 mpg at highway speeds of 70 mph. If I keep it at 55-60 I've done as well as 23 with the V6. The interior with the Urban Runner option is much nicer than the standard Sport, but I wonder how sturdy the Alcantara portion of the seats will be over time. The Tom-Tom GPS is great, as you can remove and use separately.

With the sunroof open, side and rear windows down it reminds me of my 1965 Mercury Montclair with the Breezeway window ... feels like almost like a convertible. Great looking in Titanium Silver Metallic. The seats are very comfortable and non-fatiguing on a 8.5 hour trip taken recently.

Memory on mirrors & driver seat option for the Sport; 8-way passenger seat (don't they make this for the Japanese market where the right side is the driver seat?) Dual exhaust after market option from dealer like the Tundra; standard radio stinks. Sunroof roar on tilt. "Squish" on the brake pedal.

Love my 4runner!
By Yota AK

2008 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 4runnner because I had a severe shoulder injury where I could not drive my manual 2006 Tacoma. Of course nothing could replace my truck, the 4Runner came in next. I bought it because there is the potential for my family to grow. Living in Alaska, there is A LOT to do, and even more to see and I need a vehicle that would take me where I needed to go and all the gear I need to take with me. I tow a fleetwood evolution trailer with my V6 and it is noticed, but not a hindrance. I love driving my sport edition and love the XREAS suspension. The fuel economy display is inaccurate at best, but I have no real complaints. It does what I want it to do, and in style and comfort.

The sport edition with the 8 speakers is among the best stock stereos I have heard. I really like that the back window goes down, so do my dogs. Fold flat seats allow me to sleep when I go camping and fishing. We'll see how it does on my trip to the arctic circle next month.

Better stereo head unit. More aggressive front end. More power source adapters.

Major Exhuast & Emission Problem
By Major Exhaust prob..

2008 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have already taken my '08 Toy. 4Runner 5 times to 3 different Toyota dealerships for service... they've changed my catalytic converter and I still have a problem with my exhaust and emission system of this car. When I drive it in the highway in the speeds of 60 MPH and faster I get a real STRONG and HEAVY sulfuric and ammonia scent entering inside of the vehicle which gives me a headache and bothers my newborn baby. I basically cannot drive this automobile with my windows down!!! Toyota service is the worst that I've ever seen!!!

Toyota needs to fix their exhaust and emission systems on their 4Runners!!!