Used 2008 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews - 70 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

It Grew On Me
By Drivin Momma

2008 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this vehicle new and have had it for 2 years now. I have some issues with room, my husband is 5'11" and barely has enough headroom and realistically, only plan on 4 occupants to ride comfortably. The double decker cargo system is awful and you can't even think about touching the outside of the truck without scratching it. (I put 130K on an 02 Explorer and other than where my wedding ring scratched the door handle, the paint still looked new.) With that said, I absolutely love this vehicle. It's a smooth, quiet ride, I can count on it regardless of weather conditions, and have never had one mechanical issue with it to date. Gas mileage isn't too terrible and interior cleans easily.

I love the styling, it's a head- turner. There is lots of room for your stuff, as long as your stuff isn't people!

The paint is ridiculous. When we were shopping around, we noticed it on the used ones we looked at, but I had no idea how easily it would scratch.

Second 4Runner
By Ian

2008 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After 256,000 trouble free miles, it was time to replace our '98 4Runner Ltd 4WD with a slightly used 2008 SR5 4WD model. We are very happy with the '08 4Runner's comfort and style. Haven't taken it far off-road yet but the South Texas "wet season" is in full force and all of the techy new traction controls, hill assist, and other systems will soon get put through their paces. My only complaint is that the newer 'Runner seems almost too civilized. Gone are the metal chrome bumpers and the skid plates seem wimpy. Looked at a FJ Cruiser but it had too many blind spots and horrible turning radius.

Reliability. More passenger room and cargo tie downs. More HP and torque Much better fuel economy than the '98. Off road ability Tight turning radius.

More ground clearance. Heavier gauge skid plates Relocate the power outlet and audio input jack.

It's is the Best on the Road! Bar None!
By Rick

2008 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Wow I can't believe I'm doing this! I will explain! I was a line tech and did hold a ASE Master Cert. in auto repair. I not real fond of any GM product, Ford is pretty good but always had the best service from Mopars.Owned more of them than anything. Never gave Toyota much thought. Always eyed the 4Runner looked like a nice SUV. We did the Durango (Nice truck), then an 2002 Accord V-6 top line Coupe. We'll lease was up and my wife wanted back in a 4x4 because of snow. Well Dodge decided to make the Durango larger and about as ugly as you could. Wife didn't like the Jeep much and they discontinued use of the straight 6 engine and reduced the tow rating to 3500 lbs. GM out of the question.

So we are off to drive an Explorer 4WD V-6. All I can say is what a slug! Rated @ 5000 towing lbs I think but it was not going to get it. This was 2005 and we ended up road testing a 4Runner. All I could say is WOW! Great power, ride and room. Nice looking with a lot of standard options!

you pay extra for on other models. Flawless service and we were leasing another one in 2008. Well Toyota has changed the 4Runner in 2010 I don't like it as much as the 2008 so we just purchased the 08 we leased and pretty right too! IMHO: This is the best SUV on the road

Fan For Life
By erRN

2008 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After driving an great AWD Subaru for 8 years I made the decision to upgrade to a larger vehicle. My original plan was to buy a Jeep Grand Cherokee with great styling, but after 8-9 months of research I found that almost all of the reviews of that vehicle were too scary to make an investment.I bought a 2008 SR5 used and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS TRUCK! I have had it for 7 months now and, as my boyfriend says every time he gets in, "it drives like a cadillac". Quiet, smooth, and fun on the road. 22-24k a gallon highway. I've owned a Wrangler in the past, and it doesn't even compare to the ride of the 4runner. Absolutely the best investment I've ever made. I will keep it for as long as it drives!

Quiet, smooth, quick acceleration. Looks are terrific. Still a rugged, off-road appearance- no mini-van look.Lots of interior room.Easy self oil change.Got me to work (ER) in the FEB 2010 east coast snow storms 60k away when semi's were stuck on the highway. I am a proud 4runner owner!

I love the style of the 90's, early 2000 4runner-i wish the new one's maintained the more rugged grill/front. Other than that, NO COMPLAINTS.

Best SUV period
By spcledtnta

2008 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had a 2K 4Runner and am now on my 2nd 4Runner. The style, ride, space, comfort, sound, MPG, and the back window that fully rolls down are unbeatable. Love everything about this SUV except for 1 minor detail - power outlet. The location of the power outlet in the front of the vehicle right beside the shifter is not in the best location. If you are trying to power three items such as GPS, Cell Phone and DVD Player for the kids in the back seat then the location gets in the way. Would have been better served on the dash, next to the in dash storage compartment. Would definitely purchase another Toyota 4Runner.

Power, ride, comfort, sound, ease of use, and access to all features.

Move the front power outlet to the dash.