2008 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
I Love This SUV
By Old Coot on 06/17/09 17:29 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I test drove many SUVs until I got into this 4runner. Right away I could sense that this vehicle was a step up to another level. It's definitely in another league from the all wheel drives and cross overs. It drove like a luxury car and I and my wife were hooked. We love this truck. Can't wait to go out into the desert 4 wheeling and exploring.

2008 Urban Runner Sport
By Mark S. on 06/11/09 06:24 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I originally wanted a Tundra Limited Pickup because of the versatility, the sunroof, and the electric back window, but it wouldn't fit in the garage, so I waited until there was a 0% financing option and bought the 4- Runner. I love it with a few reservations. As I've read in other reviews, the mpg indicator is somewhat optimistic. I've been averaging about 20 mpg at highway speeds of 70 mph. If I keep it at 55-60 I've done as well as 23 with the V6. The interior with the Urban Runner option is much nicer than the standard Sport, but I wonder how sturdy the Alcantara portion of the seats will be over time. The Tom-Tom GPS is great, as you can remove and use separately.

Love my 4runner!
By Yota AK on 05/17/09 03:08 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 4runnner because I had a severe shoulder injury where I could not drive my manual 2006 Tacoma. Of course nothing could replace my truck, the 4Runner came in next. I bought it because there is the potential for my family to grow. Living in Alaska, there is A LOT to do, and even more to see and I need a vehicle that would take me where I needed to go and all the gear I need to take with me. I tow a fleetwood evolution trailer with my V6 and it is noticed, but not a hindrance. I love driving my sport edition and love the XREAS suspension. The fuel economy display is inaccurate at best, but I have no real complaints. It does what I want it to do, and in style and comfort.

Major Exhuast & Emission Problem
By Major Exhaust prob.. on 04/12/09 22:36 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have already taken my '08 Toy. 4Runner 5 times to 3 different Toyota dealerships for service... they've changed my catalytic converter and I still have a problem with my exhaust and emission system of this car. When I drive it in the highway in the speeds of 60 MPH and faster I get a real STRONG and HEAVY sulfuric and ammonia scent entering inside of the vehicle which gives me a headache and bothers my newborn baby. I basically cannot drive this automobile with my windows down!!! Toyota service is the worst that I've ever seen!!!

Great vehicle
By Josh on 04/06/09 20:38 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought the 4Runner for my wife's daily driver to haul all the baby gear as well as vacation traveler that can drive out on the beach, etc. It is the best-quality vehicle we've ever owned by far. It has enough power (V6) and the XREAS makes the handling very good for a truck-based SUV. Interior and controls are top-notch, and it's a great looking SUV, especially in black. Only complaint is cargo space is low compared to a highlander, but that's the trade off for an SUV with a body-on-frame construction. We have a large Yakima box for the roof which fits all the overflow cargo when going on vacation. Overall, highly suggested and I hope Toyota never gets rid of the great 4Runner.

Saved My Life
By John on 03/26/09 14:51 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I drove a 2006 4Runner until it was totaled on January 29, 2009. That vehicle gave me back my life. It suffered a severe side impact at 55 MPH, rolled twice, slid on its roof and ended up with the driver's side on the ground. I walked away with no serious injuries. Even though there was severe damage to the sides and roof of the vehicle and suspension parts and some of the drivetrain were all over the highway, the roof pillars never collapsed and the interior was intact. Before making the 06 purchase, I did check to see which SUV's best protect their occupants. The 4Runner was the leader hands down. Now I am driving an 08. This time I made sure that I had the side curtain air bags.

I love this vehicle
By reggie1906 on 03/04/09 13:24 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first SUV and I have test driven plenty of them. The design of this vehicle is awesome. Although the mileage is not that great it does very well on the highway. If you haven't purchased one yet get out and get one.

Love Toyota
By PHIL on 03/02/09 03:43 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have a 2008 Sport Edition with the V8. I love driving the car. For a truck based chassis, it is a nice ride. If I wanted a car base SUV, I would have purchased a car or a Highlander. The gas mileage could be better, but after all it is a truck with a big V8.

Love the V8
By T4R2008 on 02/25/09 12:42 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I've been driving for more than 20 years now and this is my first vehicle with automatic transmission. I always had sports sedans before. I love this SUV. I tested the V6 but found it too buzzy and underpowered (my last car was a Subaru Legacy GT though which was very fast). The V8 is buttery smooth. The ride on the highway is almost as smooth as my wife's Lexus GX470. Great size (not too big, not too small). Trip computer is a bit optimistic. I average about only 17mpg doing mostly highway driving at 70-75 mph. Hopefully fuel stays cheap!

Love the 4Runner
By Jim on 02/24/09 03:50 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love everything about this car. The quality is tops. Visibility, handling, looks are all great. I got the Salsa Red.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Toyota 4Runner in NJ is:

$213 per month*