Used 2008 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

It's a 4R'r thing...
By T4R4ME

2008 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Shopped around for the perfect used 2008, 4WD with V6. Although these are bulletproof each has its own unique feel based on the previous owner's driving habits. Love the look, driving is effortless, peppy off the line and around town. Nice seats and support. Engine purrs. Some strange noises here and there from time to time underneath with all the T-case, diffs and 4WD parts doing their thing. Purchased in KY from an automall there and the dealer treated me well. Thanks to Edmunds buying used is a new informed experience in 2010.

Favorite Features

Quietness, steering feel, road feel, like the X-Reas suspension, torquey off the line, utility, lines and design, large sunroof, cloth interior sport seats support.

Suggested Improvements

Dumb down the 4 Wheel drive controls. Needs sealed bearings on the drive train components. Lower cost for X-Reas shocks when they need to be replaced. Odd storage compartments. TRD supercharger option for the Gen 4 please...

Great Value
By davek49

2008 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I chose the 4Runner Sport V6 RWD based on reliability and looks despite the RAV4 Sport V6 getting better gas mileage and sports-car like performance. This is my first SUV (on my 9th car in 17 years of driving) and I am getting used to sitting high up and the car with more of a truck-like feel (Tacoma versus the RAV4). Keep in mind my view is based on previously driving an Audi A3 and BMW 3. The Galactic Gray Mica is beautiful and I get compliments (brighter with blue sparkle than most dull grays). The V6 has plenty of power for urban driving and I get a respectable 22mpg hwy (19.5 mpg mixed). The X-REAS suspension works very well, providing for a comfortable ride on twisty roads.

Favorite Features

Lots of trunk space, sunroof, Galactic Gray paint. X-REAS suspension. I also like the cupholders, which really can hold large bottles.

Suggested Improvements

Lowering the height by 2 to 3 inches (very close to roof in some parking garages). I do not care for the look of the hood scoop and it is annoying for the driver, but the Sport package offered too much to pass.

From NEW to Totaled in 1 month
By MY RUNNER

2008 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 4runner in February and finally thought I had the car of my dreams... and I did! Until just last week I was hit broadside by a woman who fell asleep behind the wheel driving @ 60+ miles/hour. My 4runner took the hit like a champ. Every safety feature worked flawlessy, saving my life. I feel there would have been a much more tragic result if I had been driving any other vehicle. The other driver survived as well, but then again she was driving a tank. I plan on buying a brand new 4Runner this weekend and will be a loyal 4Runner owner for life! This is a great buy for many, many reasons. I highly recommend this SUV to anyone with style and safety in mind.

Favorite Features

Safety features are by far the best on the market. Every safety feature works flawlessly. Believe me, I am a living testament. I really would not be here if it hadn't been for my 4Runner. The XSP package is awesome. It really made my truck stand out from the crowd.

Suggested Improvements

On the XSP edition, Though very very stylish and classy, the exhaust note reverbs a bit loudly inside the cabin. Takes a bit of getting used to, maybe some more insulation would be better. The headroom is a bit tight but again not major. Factory radio could use some updating as well.