2008 Toyota 4Runner SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
Yea, I loved my 2008 Urban Runner
By snowchasr on 08/25/14 21:53 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This was my dream vehicle. It handled well on the highway, was great in winter conditions, and is one of very few SUV's that have any strong styling anymore. Furthermore, with the truck frame, I believe it is one of the safest. I too was involved in a head on accident at 65 Mph and survived well in this truck! When I originally purchased this vehicle in Spring of 2009, I was glad to have the confidence of all the safety features, but never thought I would have to use them in such a severe accident. Glad to have survived, wish my 4Runner did too.

Loved...Loved...Loved my 2008 4Runner!
By horseluver5 on 08/18/14 14:31 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had a 2008 4Runner that I bought in December of 09'. I loved that car from the first time I drove it. It was great in the snow, rain or mountains. The 6 cylinder had enough power to get me where ever I wanted to go. Unfortunately on August 3rd I was in an accident where we were basically hit head on, but to the amazement of everyone we "walked" away with minor injuries! It was me, my daughter and my 3 year old granddaughter in her car seat in the back. Us two up front have injury from the seatbelts/whiplash but my granddaughter is completely fine. I can't say the same for my car, she didn't make it through the accident but she did save our lives! Best Car Ever!

Maybe saved my life
By rjw2000 on 04/19/14 15:43 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

In June of 2013, a full-sized crew cab Chevy pickup ran a red light and hit my left front corner. My left rear corner swung around and his his R. R. side. $23,000 body damage to 4runner, and they couldn't open the hood. Front end was bent about 10" to the right. Adjuster said the 4runner probably saved me from serious injury or worse. I came out without a scratch. The dealer found me an '08 with only 29k miles- it's virtually identical, but grey not black. It's been a great vehicle. It's been elk hunting in CO, fishing on logging roads in Canada, and through some bad winters in MN. Excellent vehicle. I get 19 mpg unless towing a heavy boat, (16). 24 at 65 on the freeway.

Love it!
By ksdogwalker on 03/12/14 09:01 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this truck used in 2011, with 138k miles. Yes, you read that correctly: 138,000 miles! Everything had just been 100% serviced and it was like buying it brand new. In the 30k miles I have had it (including driving halfway across the country), I have only had 2 issues. 1. I have had the driveshaft (?) lubricated twice due to a "thunk" sound and small lurch when stopping - no charge by the dealer; apparently it is common. 2. This winter, the back hatch has begun to freeze when it's below 30° outside and becomes impossible to open (at least for this gal!). Sort of a pain. Of note: the paint scratches relatively easily, but I haven't noticed any rust issues. Just irritating.

2008 4Runner V8 4X4
By kalicat on 08/09/12 08:13 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought it brand new and in a couple of months it will be 4 years old. 57K miles on it. I have never had a single mechanical issue with it. I put the front end leveling kit on it, and larger tires w/after market rims - but the engine is stock. My only complaint is the gas mileage! Even driving like an old lady, 95% highway mileage (it's my commuter car now) I only get 17 mpg. Friends that have the v6 said they get the same. Dealer says they will give me 22,500 if I trade it in (decided not to anyway) Great resale! Overall, am very happy with it!

2008 4runner 4wd
By mabatista on 02/05/12 12:38 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Very reliable. have 55k. No problems. Mileage is not too good. about 16 in town(driving like a little old lady) . 20 on hy sometimes. However, ths is what it is supposed to get. Not very comfortable for me at 6'2" (legroom). My wife usually drives it and she is very comfortable. I am sure that it will last 200k easily.

Love that 4runner
By ACED 16 on 11/24/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I thought that I should write because consumer reports had a bad review on the 2010 and I thought that this was ridiculous and I read in other magazines that the 2010 4Runner was better than many of the higher priced SUVs. I have had great time driving even through flooded roads and many snow storms and never had a problem.

It Grew On Me
By Drivin Momma on 09/20/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this vehicle new and have had it for 2 years now. I have some issues with room, my husband is 5'11" and barely has enough headroom and realistically, only plan on 4 occupants to ride comfortably. The double decker cargo system is awful and you can't even think about touching the outside of the truck without scratching it. (I put 130K on an 02 Explorer and other than where my wedding ring scratched the door handle, the paint still looked new.) With that said, I absolutely love this vehicle. It's a smooth, quiet ride, I can count on it regardless of weather conditions, and have never had one mechanical issue with it to date. Gas mileage isn't too terrible and interior cleans easily.

Second 4Runner
By Ian on 09/08/10 12:25 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After 256,000 trouble free miles, it was time to replace our '98 4Runner Ltd 4WD with a slightly used 2008 SR5 4WD model. We are very happy with the '08 4Runner's comfort and style. Haven't taken it far off-road yet but the South Texas "wet season" is in full force and all of the techy new traction controls, hill assist, and other systems will soon get put through their paces. My only complaint is that the newer 'Runner seems almost too civilized. Gone are the metal chrome bumpers and the skid plates seem wimpy. Looked at a FJ Cruiser but it had too many blind spots and horrible turning radius.

It's is the Best on the Road! Bar None!
By Rick on 08/31/10 10:06 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Wow I can't believe I'm doing this! I will explain! I was a line tech and did hold a ASE Master Cert. in auto repair. I not real fond of any GM product, Ford is pretty good but always had the best service from Mopars.Owned more of them than anything. Never gave Toyota much thought. Always eyed the 4Runner looked like a nice SUV. We did the Durango (Nice truck), then an 2002 Accord V-6 top line Coupe. We'll lease was up and my wife wanted back in a 4x4 because of snow. Well Dodge decided to make the Durango larger and about as ugly as you could. Wife didn't like the Jeep much and they discontinued use of the straight 6 engine and reduced the tow rating to 3500 lbs. GM out of the question.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.