Used 2008 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota 4Runner

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Yea, I loved my 2008 Urban Runner
By snowchasr

2008 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This was my dream vehicle. It handled well on the highway, was great in winter conditions, and is one of very few SUV's that have any strong styling anymore. Furthermore, with the truck frame, I believe it is one of the safest. I too was involved in a head on accident at 65 Mph and survived well in this truck! When I originally purchased this vehicle in Spring of 2009, I was glad to have the confidence of all the safety features, but never thought I would have to use them in such a severe accident. Glad to have survived, wish my 4Runner did too.

Loved...Loved...Loved my 2008 4Runner!
By horseluver5

2008 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had a 2008 4Runner that I bought in December of 09'. I loved that car from the first time I drove it. It was great in the snow, rain or mountains. The 6 cylinder had enough power to get me where ever I wanted to go. Unfortunately on August 3rd I was in an accident where we were basically hit head on, but to the amazement of everyone we "walked" away with minor injuries! It was me, my daughter and my 3 year old granddaughter in her car seat in the back. Us two up front have injury from the seatbelts/whiplash but my granddaughter is completely fine. I can't say the same for my car, she didn't make it through the accident but she did save our lives! Best Car Ever!

Favorite Features

Wasn't a thing about this car that I didn't like. Loved the fact that it took a head on hit and all passenger's are ok, the safety rating on this should be all 5's! If I could add a picture of the damaged car...you wouldn't believe that we are all alive! Best car I have ever owned and I will always stick with Toyota!

Maybe saved my life
By rjw2000

2008 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

In June of 2013, a full-sized crew cab Chevy pickup ran a red light and hit my left front corner. My left rear corner swung around and his his R. R. side. $23,000 body damage to 4runner, and they couldn't open the hood. Front end was bent about 10" to the right. Adjuster said the 4runner probably saved me from serious injury or worse. I came out without a scratch. The dealer found me an '08 with only 29k miles- it's virtually identical, but grey not black. It's been a great vehicle. It's been elk hunting in CO, fishing on logging roads in Canada, and through some bad winters in MN. Excellent vehicle. I get 19 mpg unless towing a heavy boat, (16). 24 at 65 on the freeway.

Favorite Features

On rough 30 mph roads, every bump is a hard shock, probably worse because I have some very hard Michelins. However, on a smooth freeway it's like flying a plane. I've never had such a smooth riding Interstate vehicle. I've driven to the west coast twice, and it was a joy. The unstopability of the 4runner in snow and mud is quite remarkable, and I just have road tires. In four low, locked up, I have been able to pull some very heavy vehicles out of trouble. Maintenance, except greasing the drive shaft, is very, very easy. The brakes are remarkable, and showed very little wear at 81k. Offroad, it's easy to scratch the paint- but that's offroad. Day to day, no problem.

Suggested Improvements

Perhaps softer tires would help, but the hard shocks in parking lots, etc. are a bit jolting, but, after all, it is a truck. I am very fussy about maintenance, but at 81k on my first one, and 49k on the second, I have had no costs except maintenance. I drove a CRV before this, and it had more cubbies and cupholders. That might sound silly, but it would be a plus. At 5' 10" there is adequate headroom, but it would be hard if I was 6'4". It is a remarkable machine.

Love it!
By ksdogwalker

2008 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this truck used in 2011, with 138k miles. Yes, you read that correctly: 138,000 miles! Everything had just been 100% serviced and it was like buying it brand new. In the 30k miles I have had it (including driving halfway across the country), I have only had 2 issues. 1. I have had the driveshaft (?) lubricated twice due to a "thunk" sound and small lurch when stopping - no charge by the dealer; apparently it is common. 2. This winter, the back hatch has begun to freeze when it's below 30° outside and becomes impossible to open (at least for this gal!). Sort of a pain. Of note: the paint scratches relatively easily, but I haven't noticed any rust issues. Just irritating.

Favorite Features

• Seats are easy to fold down, yielding tons of room - and the cargo area is a great size even with the seats up! • Excellent interior fabric and carpeting (soooo easy to clean - and that says a lot coming from a dog pro) • The rear window is fabulous for my dogs to enjoy • The factory window tint is perfect depth • the 4WD would climb a tree • Decent MPG for a V8 4WD vehicle. My vehicle says my "average speed" is typically in the low 20s (small town life) and my MPG varies from 16 (cold months) to 18 (warm months).

Suggested Improvements

• Paint scratches too easily • Rear gate design - when the rear window is lowered, if it is not lowered all the way or not in a magical configuration with all of the other windows or you are not driving at the correct speed, there is an issue with exhaust entering the passenger compartment. Ick. • On-the-fly 4WD. Enough said.

2008 4Runner V8 4X4
By kalicat

2008 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought it brand new and in a couple of months it will be 4 years old. 57K miles on it. I have never had a single mechanical issue with it. I put the front end leveling kit on it, and larger tires w/after market rims - but the engine is stock. My only complaint is the gas mileage! Even driving like an old lady, 95% highway mileage (it's my commuter car now) I only get 17 mpg. Friends that have the v6 said they get the same. Dealer says they will give me 22,500 if I trade it in (decided not to anyway) Great resale! Overall, am very happy with it!

Favorite Features

Safety, all of the space, and off road capability. Also great re-sale value if I wanted to sell it. I still get compliments on this vehicle!

Suggested Improvements

Can we come up with a different engine/tranny combo that gets better mileage?