2008 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
Love it!
By ksdogwalker on 03/12/14 09:01 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this truck used in 2011, with 138k miles. Yes, you read that correctly: 138,000 miles! Everything had just been 100% serviced and it was like buying it brand new. In the 30k miles I have had it (including driving halfway across the country), I have only had 2 issues. 1. I have had the driveshaft (?) lubricated twice due to a "thunk" sound and small lurch when stopping - no charge by the dealer; apparently it is common. 2. This winter, the back hatch has begun to freeze when it's below 30° outside and becomes impossible to open (at least for this gal!). Sort of a pain. Of note: the paint scratches relatively easily, but I haven't noticed any rust issues. Just irritating.

2008 4Runner V8 4X4
By kalicat on 08/09/12 08:13 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought it brand new and in a couple of months it will be 4 years old. 57K miles on it. I have never had a single mechanical issue with it. I put the front end leveling kit on it, and larger tires w/after market rims - but the engine is stock. My only complaint is the gas mileage! Even driving like an old lady, 95% highway mileage (it's my commuter car now) I only get 17 mpg. Friends that have the v6 said they get the same. Dealer says they will give me 22,500 if I trade it in (decided not to anyway) Great resale! Overall, am very happy with it!

2008 4runner 4wd
By mabatista on 02/05/12 12:38 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Very reliable. have 55k. No problems. Mileage is not too good. about 16 in town(driving like a little old lady) . 20 on hy sometimes. However, ths is what it is supposed to get. Not very comfortable for me at 6'2" (legroom). My wife usually drives it and she is very comfortable. I am sure that it will last 200k easily.

Love that 4runner
By ACED 16 on 11/24/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I thought that I should write because consumer reports had a bad review on the 2010 and I thought that this was ridiculous and I read in other magazines that the 2010 4Runner was better than many of the higher priced SUVs. I have had great time driving even through flooded roads and many snow storms and never had a problem.

It Grew On Me
By Drivin Momma on 09/20/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this vehicle new and have had it for 2 years now. I have some issues with room, my husband is 5'11" and barely has enough headroom and realistically, only plan on 4 occupants to ride comfortably. The double decker cargo system is awful and you can't even think about touching the outside of the truck without scratching it. (I put 130K on an 02 Explorer and other than where my wedding ring scratched the door handle, the paint still looked new.) With that said, I absolutely love this vehicle. It's a smooth, quiet ride, I can count on it regardless of weather conditions, and have never had one mechanical issue with it to date. Gas mileage isn't too terrible and interior cleans easily.

Second 4Runner
By Ian on 09/08/10 12:25 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After 256,000 trouble free miles, it was time to replace our '98 4Runner Ltd 4WD with a slightly used 2008 SR5 4WD model. We are very happy with the '08 4Runner's comfort and style. Haven't taken it far off-road yet but the South Texas "wet season" is in full force and all of the techy new traction controls, hill assist, and other systems will soon get put through their paces. My only complaint is that the newer 'Runner seems almost too civilized. Gone are the metal chrome bumpers and the skid plates seem wimpy. Looked at a FJ Cruiser but it had too many blind spots and horrible turning radius.

It's is the Best on the Road! Bar None!
By Rick on 08/31/10 10:06 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Wow I can't believe I'm doing this! I will explain! I was a line tech and did hold a ASE Master Cert. in auto repair. I not real fond of any GM product, Ford is pretty good but always had the best service from Mopars.Owned more of them than anything. Never gave Toyota much thought. Always eyed the 4Runner looked like a nice SUV. We did the Durango (Nice truck), then an 2002 Accord V-6 top line Coupe. We'll lease was up and my wife wanted back in a 4x4 because of snow. Well Dodge decided to make the Durango larger and about as ugly as you could. Wife didn't like the Jeep much and they discontinued use of the straight 6 engine and reduced the tow rating to 3500 lbs. GM out of the question.

Fan For Life
By erRN on 07/01/10 06:40 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After driving an great AWD Subaru for 8 years I made the decision to upgrade to a larger vehicle. My original plan was to buy a Jeep Grand Cherokee with great styling, but after 8-9 months of research I found that almost all of the reviews of that vehicle were too scary to make an investment.I bought a 2008 SR5 used and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS TRUCK! I have had it for 7 months now and, as my boyfriend says every time he gets in, "it drives like a cadillac". Quiet, smooth, and fun on the road. 22-24k a gallon highway. I've owned a Wrangler in the past, and it doesn't even compare to the ride of the 4runner. Absolutely the best investment I've ever made. I will keep it for as long as it drives!

Best SUV period
By spcledtnta on 06/09/10 09:06 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had a 2K 4Runner and am now on my 2nd 4Runner. The style, ride, space, comfort, sound, MPG, and the back window that fully rolls down are unbeatable. Love everything about this SUV except for 1 minor detail - power outlet. The location of the power outlet in the front of the vehicle right beside the shifter is not in the best location. If you are trying to power three items such as GPS, Cell Phone and DVD Player for the kids in the back seat then the location gets in the way. Would have been better served on the dash, next to the in dash storage compartment. Would definitely purchase another Toyota 4Runner.

Wanted one for years
By Danjo on 04/26/10 14:05 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After reading tons of these reviews and finally getting a 4Runner I would like to put in my two cents. Build quality is great. Did not get the sunroof option as it really does limit head room. I get about 14-15 mpg in the city but average 21-22 on the highway. The only way that I have been able to get better on the highway is on roads with a 55mph limit. Then I can get around 24mpg. I really like pretty much everything else about this vehicle. We pulled out the fold up rear seats and used the 4runner as pick up during a recent move. Great family vehicle as well.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Toyota 4Runner in NJ is:

$213 per month*