Used 2006 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota 4runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

4Runner
By PMM

2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Traded in 1994 Honda Accord w/185K on it for first SUV. Other vehicle is 1998 van. Wanted a true SUV for the trek to a second home in the Whilte Mountains of NH v. crossover. Also, wanted something reliable similar to the Accord. Plan to keep this vehicle for 10-12 years. Alway have felt safe in this truck no matter what kind of weather, snow, rain, etc. 35k in 15 months and love this SUV. We are a family of four and it is a bit small in the passenger area, but you can load it to the top for a weekend or week's vacation. No 3rd row as it was useless. If you need a people hauler, best to opt for a bigger SUV or van.

Favorite Features

Back up camara, nav, MP3 plug for the kids.

Suggested Improvements

The front seats and for that matter all the seats could be a bit more comfortable. Make the next generation 2 inches higher wider and longer. Would like to see a functional third row seat with out the need to buy the much large Sequoia.

06 SR5 4runner
By WCF

2006 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is a great vehicle. Our first new Toyota. Comfortable, reliable, smooth rider. My kids both want me to give it to them! I'm thinking of moving to something like the Lexus LX just for the luxury of it, but would recommend the 4Runner to anyone.

Favorite Features

Design and comfort, control layout is great.

Suggested Improvements

My legs are too long to fit comfortably between the pedals and steering wheel. It'd be nice if the SR5 had a telescopic wheel.

Lousy Transmission
By Jay Alan

2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck after having a 2002 GMC Envoy. Since I bought this truck, I've noticed the vehicle shifts up or down harshly and at the wrong speeds. When the ac is on, the idle is so high that the truck seems to drive itself. Coming off the highway, the car lurches forward when you're merging onto a new road. Very disappointing and can't wait to get rid of it.

Favorite Features

The AC Charger outlet.

Suggested Improvements

Wider track, softer ride, a real transmission.

Great Vehicle
By Ken

2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Majority of driving is highway travel to second home. Always loaded with tools and gear, ride is great and V8 is really responsive. We haven't experienced an interior/exterior defect or even a squeak. It is a limited with navigation/backup camera, etc. Navigation was perfect in NYC travel. Since I am really a clean freak with a black vehicle, the fit and finish had to be perfect. It was. The AWD is secure, especially during heavy rain and New England snow. I do not like cross over and car based SUVs when you really need a truck. When needed, this vehicle can easily pull a 22 foot boat. Buy one.

Favorite Features

Downhill assist. Interior storage compartments. Outlets.

Suggested Improvements

None.

'06 4Runner
By Tom Grimshaw

2006 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This rig has lived up to the Toyota tradition, but there are a couple of niggling annoyances. At 20K miles when I make a turn there is a creak that comes from the back. My friends call this car 'the squawkwagon' due to the fact that the rear assist warning siren comes on and stays on whenever the car is in reverse. I'm used to it but it really gets on passengers nerves. The dealership can't fix it either. Also I added a Westin Sportmaster grille guard and it looks sharp!

Favorite Features

Looks, acceleration (v-8) and the dependability.

Suggested Improvements

The cabin is sparse and the radio and speakers are terrible in the SR5.