Used 2006 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews - 131 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota 4Runner SUV

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

No regrets
By Sen A

2006 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Very comfortable drive compared to my last car was a 2002 Pathfinder. The balance of the car while taking curves are remarkable due to its wider wheelbase. Some of the interior features could have been improved but overall excellent vehicle.

Smooth drive, powerful engine.

The power switches for the doors are very awkwardly positioned. Could have included more power outlets.

Great Purchase!
By PP916

2006 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I researched all my options before buying my used 06 T4R, and I don't regret any minute of my decision. It has been over 6 mths and approx 12k miles, and it has been extremely reliable. I have driven it from CA to GA (avg 23 mpg @ 75+mph) and GA to WA with a 5x8 uhaul trailer (avg 19 mpg @ 65+mph), this SUV is bullet proof. I avg 20 mpg around mixed in town driving. It does everything I need it to, from primitive camping trips, off-roading, towing, and future snowboarding trips. It has the perfect balance between utility and practicality and efficiency and performance. If your considering buying one, I highly recommend it. You won't regret it.

Efficiency and performance. Sporty/quality appearance. Large sunroof and utility capabilities.

Only thing I can think of would be to add an additional ac power outlet in front cabin. Otherwise, I wouldn't change a thing.

I love it!
By DH

2006 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Although I've only own this SUV for 4 months, I must say this is probably the best SUV I've owned so far. (I've had a 95 Jeep Grand and 07 Honda Element.) I originally thought the XREAS suspension was some hokey-pokey nonsense but after driving my friends 05 SR5. WOW, what a difference. this thing has plenty of power, the interior is almost as quiet as my sister's 08 RX350, I love the black interior, the power seats are comfortable. I can go on raving about this SUV for hours but I'll just keep it short. Bottom line, go drive one and experience this great SUV for yourself!

Just about everything. Aux jack, powerful v6 motor, sunroof, super quiet interior, Toyota reliability, I can go on forever.

This is my only complaint about this SUV: seriously Toyota, why did you guys put the window control where it is? it is the most annoying/awkward location ever!!!

A Fantastic Adventure Travel Vehicle!
By George

2006 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We ordered our 4Runner from Japan because we couldn't buy a Sport Edition with GPS navigation off a dealer's lot. We also added 4WD. The car rides and handles great. ZERO mech. probs. Powerful V6 with decent economy. You really don't need the V8. The 4WD and off-road stability systems are amazing. I used them in a rare snow & ice storm in the Chisos Mtns in Big Bend National Park and was amazed at this SUV's sure-footedness. A few quibbles: Front cupholders stink. Must contort arms & hands to reach window and door lock switches on doors. Tire pressure and oil change idiot lights are annoying to reset. Overall, though, we LOVE this SUV. Even $4 gas can't persuade us to part with it!

GPS navigation and premium sound system is worth the bucks! Sport Edition trim package looks and handles best. 110v AC power adaptor in center console is very handy for plugging in standard 2-prong, electrical devices without having to use a cigarette lighter jack adapter. iPod jack is cool too!

Toyota can't seem to get the front cupholders right. They stunk on my 98 4Runner and on this one too! Why can't they get this small detail right?! Interior door armrests need to be re-designed so that it's easier to reach the controls on the door without contorting our forearms and hands.

Couldn't be better!
By Yssisa

2006 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This car is amazing! Smooth rides, great handling, an all-a-round do everything car. Towing is exceptional (towed a 6x12 trailer for 2000 miles and didn't even notice it). Off road would be fun, but my wife won't let me take her car off road. I want another for myself. One person said the low-preasure light for the tire comes on. I found it to be the spare tire. All the other tires get checked and the spare gets forgotten. Toyota even has a sensor on the spare... way cool, but don't forget it or the light will bug you.

I love the internal computer that gives the fuel economy and range of the gas tank. I also like the electronic 4x4 switch, it makes things very easy.