Used 2006 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

I love it!
By DH

2006 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Although I've only own this SUV for 4 months, I must say this is probably the best SUV I've owned so far. (I've had a 95 Jeep Grand and 07 Honda Element.) I originally thought the XREAS suspension was some hokey-pokey nonsense but after driving my friends 05 SR5. WOW, what a difference. this thing has plenty of power, the interior is almost as quiet as my sister's 08 RX350, I love the black interior, the power seats are comfortable. I can go on raving about this SUV for hours but I'll just keep it short. Bottom line, go drive one and experience this great SUV for yourself!

Favorite Features

Just about everything. Aux jack, powerful v6 motor, sunroof, super quiet interior, Toyota reliability, I can go on forever.

Suggested Improvements

This is my only complaint about this SUV: seriously Toyota, why did you guys put the window control where it is? it is the most annoying/awkward location ever!!!

A Fantastic Adventure Travel Vehicle!
By George

2006 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We ordered our 4Runner from Japan because we couldn't buy a Sport Edition with GPS navigation off a dealer's lot. We also added 4WD. The car rides and handles great. ZERO mech. probs. Powerful V6 with decent economy. You really don't need the V8. The 4WD and off-road stability systems are amazing. I used them in a rare snow & ice storm in the Chisos Mtns in Big Bend National Park and was amazed at this SUV's sure-footedness. A few quibbles: Front cupholders stink. Must contort arms & hands to reach window and door lock switches on doors. Tire pressure and oil change idiot lights are annoying to reset. Overall, though, we LOVE this SUV. Even $4 gas can't persuade us to part with it!

Favorite Features

GPS navigation and premium sound system is worth the bucks! Sport Edition trim package looks and handles best. 110v AC power adaptor in center console is very handy for plugging in standard 2-prong, electrical devices without having to use a cigarette lighter jack adapter. iPod jack is cool too!

Suggested Improvements

Toyota can't seem to get the front cupholders right. They stunk on my 98 4Runner and on this one too! Why can't they get this small detail right?! Interior door armrests need to be re-designed so that it's easier to reach the controls on the door without contorting our forearms and hands.

Couldn't be better!
By Yssisa

2006 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This car is amazing! Smooth rides, great handling, an all-a-round do everything car. Towing is exceptional (towed a 6x12 trailer for 2000 miles and didn't even notice it). Off road would be fun, but my wife won't let me take her car off road. I want another for myself. One person said the low-preasure light for the tire comes on. I found it to be the spare tire. All the other tires get checked and the spare gets forgotten. Toyota even has a sensor on the spare... way cool, but don't forget it or the light will bug you.

Favorite Features

I love the internal computer that gives the fuel economy and range of the gas tank. I also like the electronic 4x4 switch, it makes things very easy.

Awesome 4x4 and towing vehicle
By Joshy

2006 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've taken the car everywhere. From my first 2000 miles where I towed from TX to ID, to me taking it off-road or driving in some serious snow, this vehicle has done it all for me. And everything without a single problem

Favorite Features

I absolutely loved the towing capabilites of it. It really handled well going up hills without having to constantly shift to a lower gear. The gas mileage for an SUV... you can't beat it.

Suggested Improvements

I say make the towing package standard on this baby. I ended up getting a after market one put on.

Love my 4Runner !
By brian

2006 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

If your looking for an SUV, Look no further. Toyota 4Runner is the way. Bought mine a few days ago. Used 2006, 25000 miles. This truck has everything and more a person can want. I checked out the Nissan Pathfinder and the Dodge NITRO. Was not impressed with either. The 4Runner Sport Edition has not only the looks, but the engine is smooth and the JBL sound system is awesome. Also came with a camera in the rear view mirror so when you back up, you can see if anyone is behind you. Will write another review in 6 months or so. Don't delay, get your 4Runner today!

Favorite Features

JBL sound system, cup holders, silver exterior paint

Suggested Improvements

Honestly, really can't think of any. Just simply flawless.