Used 2006 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota 4Runner SUV

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

After 3 Years
By Rod

2006 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Last post was 9/6/2006. Nothing has changed except the gas mileage has improved from 19.5 to 21 mpg combined. Absolutely zero defects after 3 years and 36K miles. Best of all, my wife still loves it. It is the best vehicle, new or used that I have owned during the past 43 years. Wife wished we had bought leather with heated seats but the cloth is great. Handled great on snow and ice the past 2 winters. Plenty of power, great handling, and visibility. Still looks like new.

Favorite Features

Rear cargo area with rear fold-down seats. 4WD handles the ice like a champ. Handling, visibility, and appearance. Reliability and power. Power seats and sun roof. Radio controls on steering wheel. Fog lights work great.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Very nice truck
By Teacher Guy

2006 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Always had Jeeps before. Bought this 4Runner and I have to say that I'm very impressed. The 4wd system can run in 4wd on dry pavement, or you can run it 2wd. Locking center differential is electronic, so you don't have to worry about the transfer case binding on dry pavement (since it can be turned off). Interior room is very good, low, flat load floor in the rear is good, and ease of putting rear seats down is easier than the Jeep. The v6 is an excellent choice with plenty of power, and decent towing capacity for small jobs. I like the driver instrumentation and the stock radio has an MP3 player capability. Good fuel economy with the v6. Avg. 19-20 mpg.

Favorite Features

Rear Load floor, easy of putting rear seats down, V6 engine, 4WD.

Suggested Improvements

The seats, though supportive could be a little softer - though they have very good adjustability.

2006 4Runner
By mccracken81

2006 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I love this SUV. Lots of power, great handling, and plenty of room. Can't beat the roll down back window unless you get a convertible, but who wants one of those. Would recommend this car to anyone who likes to, or needs to spend a lot of time in the car. Also you never have to ever fix anything, and if you run synthetic, you barely ever have to change the oil either. The car is completely awesome.

Favorite Features

Roll down back window, and navigation.

Suggested Improvements

It would be nice if they made even one TRD part for this car, also a little higher suspension would be nice as well as a button that would truly shut off the vsc for offroad purpose. Also a 2wd to 4wd option for the V8 would be nice instead of only AWD.

No regrets
By Sen A

2006 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Very comfortable drive compared to my last car was a 2002 Pathfinder. The balance of the car while taking curves are remarkable due to its wider wheelbase. Some of the interior features could have been improved but overall excellent vehicle.

Favorite Features

Smooth drive, powerful engine.

Suggested Improvements

The power switches for the doors are very awkwardly positioned. Could have included more power outlets.

Great Purchase!
By PP916

2006 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I researched all my options before buying my used 06 T4R, and I don't regret any minute of my decision. It has been over 6 mths and approx 12k miles, and it has been extremely reliable. I have driven it from CA to GA (avg 23 mpg @ 75+mph) and GA to WA with a 5x8 uhaul trailer (avg 19 mpg @ 65+mph), this SUV is bullet proof. I avg 20 mpg around mixed in town driving. It does everything I need it to, from primitive camping trips, off-roading, towing, and future snowboarding trips. It has the perfect balance between utility and practicality and efficiency and performance. If your considering buying one, I highly recommend it. You won't regret it.

Favorite Features

Efficiency and performance. Sporty/quality appearance. Large sunroof and utility capabilities.

Suggested Improvements

Only thing I can think of would be to add an additional ac power outlet in front cabin. Otherwise, I wouldn't change a thing.