Used 2006 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota 4Runner SUV

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Greater Than I Imagined
By Happy to Drive

2006 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Read all your reviews before I purchased and they helped a lot. Once I bought the vehicle and actually got behind the wheel as an owner and then discovered what it can do, I'm so happy. I wanted the v6 for the gas mileage thing, but got the v8 full-time 4wd edition and here are the real world stats... On the highway and 65 mph and under, 25-27.7 mpg. Yes, really. Was going to get a Lexus GX-470 (built on the same platform as the 4Runner and at the same factory in Tahara, Japan), but decided on the 2006 4Runner instead. Whisper quiet. Not as fancy of an interior as the Lexus, but all the important elements, performance and reliability are the same. What a great car.

Love My Ride!
By jaime

2006 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Excellent SUV.The attention to detail from Japanese auto makers (don't even go to chevy or ford) and the quality, reliability is perfect - this is my 6th TOYOTA. Maintenance every 5K miles and you're gonna be just fine - great truck, smooth, easy to drive - it feels like a sedan I have a lot of fun...TOYOTA keep up the good work!!!

Favorite Features

Finish, Paint, style, strong...

Suggested Improvements

none

Great all around Vehicle
By rcwing

2006 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Never have had a repair or adjustment made. Factory tow package easy to use and preforms well. Very steady feel on the road. Handles well at interstate speeds and eats up the open road. Long trips are easy and bad weather driving is secure.

Favorite Features

Tows very easy, lots of power for a v6.

Suggested Improvements

Side mirrors that pull out for towing.

Best Vehicle I've Ever Owned
By generalpatton

2006 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just passed my 3 year anniversary with my 2006 4Runner Sport and the build quality on this vehicle continues to amaze me. (knock on wood) To date I've not had a single repair item, the only service work I've had done are oil changes and regularly scheduled maintenance. Totally awesome even by Toyota standards! For a mid-size SUV the 4Runner is as good as it gets with a strong V6 motor, adequate mileage, great styling and comfort and the awesome reliability that I previously mentioned. For the first time in a long time I'm 3 years into a vehicle and I'm not thinking about unloading it for the next bright shiny thing that catches my attention. It's a beautiful thing :) !!

Favorite Features

Roll down rear window, styling, strong V6 motor that doesn't suck gas, comfortable seats, great ride (once you upgrade from the stock Dunlops which are just ok - I put Michelin Cross Terrains on mine and it now rides like a dream).

Suggested Improvements

More headroom - I'm 6'3" and I'm barely making it with the sunroof. Better stock stereo system - for a mid 30k vehicle the stock stereo in mine left a lot to be desired. Toyota puts a better stock stereo in the 15k Scion than in the 'runner.

Can't Get Better Than This
By Reliability

2006 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had this vehicle for three years and, at 80K plus miles, I have not had a single mechanical malfunction. It drives great and has great roadability. It is easy to maneuver, even in small/tight spaces. The driver sits high and this provides great overall vision of your surroundings. In regards to quality, can't beat Toyota's quality or dependability.

Favorite Features

Firm seats and handling. This SUV handles very well for its size.

Suggested Improvements

Placement of the MP3 connection should be more convenient. Located inside the center console, it is a bit tedious to get to.