Used 2006 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota 4Runner SUV

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Great SUV
By TN Driver

2006 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just traded my 2006 4Runner that I bought new so I figured I had plenty of experience to leave a useful review having driven it 85,000 miles during that time. It was a great car. I only had to perform routine maintenance during the 5 years which was great. I just felt like we had outgrown this car with 2 small kids so I traded it in on a Buick Enclave. My husband had a 1997 4Runner prior to this one and we traded it in with 200k miles on it and he had no troubles with that one either. You can't go wrong with the 4Runner.

Favorite Features

Low maintenance car

Suggested Improvements

The tire pressure light is too sensitive. Dealer said there were no adjustments that could be made so I kind of starting ignoring this light whenever it came on. The seats are a bit hard on long road trips as well and it seemed to have a lot of wind noise at high speeds.

Warning bad exhaust manifolds
By richard

2006 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Warning just having my vehicle serviced not under warranty with 55,000 miles on it for. Get ready cracked exhaust manifolds. That 's right these ex manifolds have the catalytic converter apparently built inside them. Both sides cracked cost $3500.00 U.S. What? You must ber kidding me. In 40 years of owning every type of car imaginable. Never have I needed to replace these items. 3500 dollars 9 hours of labor and the parts. This is total crap. Where is the quality. They apparently did another one a 2005 last week or two with exactly the same nonsense. Toyota. Hello how about a total recall for this major defect

Suggested Improvements

stand behind these types of major faults no one was there to account for the problem no one

Awesome SUV
By shrimper

2006 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We've had this SUV for 4+ years and have no repairs at all except new brakes at 95,000 miles. We have 110,000 on it now and it works like it did the day we brought it home.

Favorite Features

No repairs!!

Suggested Improvements

Cruise is not good unless you are on an expressway with no dips. Ford Explorer and Olds Aurora had far better cruises. Cup holders aren't good for any size cup except huge ones. Would love coded entry on door! Not sure how the 4-wheel drive works since supposedly it's always on?

Awesome Truck
By C

2006 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

5 years of owning this 4runner, no issues yet, everything still original except for tires, had over 30,000 miles on them. just replaced with new ones. gas mileage: consistently average 25 a gallon, some trips i get 27-30. yes you're reading this correctly, i can get over 30 a gallon with the v6. pros-everything is great cons-NONE!

Favorite Features

everything

Suggested Improvements

cant think of anything right now.

Great All Around
By Jon

2006 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I traded in my BMW 3series for this 4runner because I was moving up to the high mountains, Breckenridge Colorado. It handles amazingly in the snow, even with 2 wheel drive, and have never been nervous about my safety. Can fit 5 people comfortably, even with their winter layers on. Nice to have the rack already on top, just attach a board-rack and you're ready to hit the slopes. Does great on the highways here, which are constantly winding, the huge breaks are a plus.

Favorite Features

Solid, Toyota really kept to being an off road monster. Just change my oil and go, never had a mechanical difficulty.

Suggested Improvements

Moving the window controls for the driver. Would be nice if the tire pressure light did not have problems at low temperatures.