Used 2006 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota 4Runner SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

The best I've owned
By terry A

2006 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I've been wanting a 4runner since I first noticed them in the 1990s but I did think they were gutless and too expensive. I finally bought a used 2006 AWD Limited in May 2008 with 94,000 miles. Now I know why they all have good reviews. It is a great vehicle to drive compared to my 2001 Jeep Cherokee. This drives like silk I use regular Michelin tires. It's rides really smooth. I live at 6500' above sea level. The V8 does well but does have to down shift periodically on freeway hills I have noticed small leaks around the sunroof that I need to see about. I changed the timing chain, waterpump, cleaned the fuel system, and flushed the transmission, all at the dealer. That's the only preventative things I have done. Nothing else is needed so far. I have around 159,000 miles so far and fully expect it go a long way. The engine runs amazingly smooth for it's age.

Great truck, must maintain w/Toyota
By nderzis

2006 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned my 06' Sport 4x4 V8 for 2.5 years. I bought it with 147,000 miles from a Toyota dealer. The reason I was convinced to buy this vehicle was because it had been maintained by Toyota since new. Since I bought it I have spend $3500 maintaining it (cataylytic converter, timing belt, water pump, axle, brakes, etc.) That is all in addition to the regular scheduled maintenance. It looks great and runs like a top. If you want an excellent SUV that is still "trucky" consider this vehicle. Maintain with Toyota and you will have a truck that will run for a lot of miles. I am currently at 182,000 and the steering is still tight. I highly recommend the 4x4 v8. Runs like new still.

Full time 4x4, v8 power, trucky design, back window and sunroof, love that i have the same engine as the Land Cruiser

It's hard to ask for better gas mileage on a v8 as I know i get better than the Chevy tahoe's. Still, a bit more fuel efficient would be nice :)

Can't Get Any Better!
By cbchapman88

2006 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my 2006 4-Runner new in 2006, it is 2013 now and it has 121,000 miles. I could not bare to trade in my 4-Runner before it hit the 100,000 mile mark. It has been a spectacular vehicle in every way! 121K miles and not a single mechanical issue. I have done regular maintenance and used premium gasoline the entire 7 years that I have had it, and not a SINGLE mechanical issue. I have made several trips half-way across the country, including two moves, and it never let me down. Seven years later, and it still cleans up like a brand new car and still drives like one too. I am planning on keeping this vehicle for another 100K miles, then I will surely buy another 4-Runner.

The smooth V8 that has plenty of power and good gas mileage. The build quality is spectacular. Very comfortable for long trips. Great standard sound system.

None at all...seriously!

Outstanding Truck
By docsweat

2006 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just bought a used 06 4Runner Ltd. I love it. Smooth ride on pavement. Went off road and it did great-and I put it through terrain/trails that would break a crossover and strand many other SUVs. The pavement ride is far smoother than any serious 4x4 I have owned or driven, including a jeep CJ-5 Willys, Cherokees, pickups, Blazers and Broncos. The 'bells and whistles' on the limited model make it a real joy and comfort for driver and passengers, especially if they are a family. Comfort on and off road is truly amazing. Toyota cured the two biggest gripes I had about my 98 4Runner-weak engine and too small gas tank. Also made cup holders that don't block the air vents.

Everything. Seriously. Sweet ride on or off road. I am confident it will make it at least to 140k miles, like my 93 toy pu did before it was totaled in an accident.

Cannot think of any, though I have heard the third row seating (I do not have this) is only good for children (under 58" height).

LOVE this car
By tdtmd03

2006 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My wife bought this car new. We drove it for three years and put about 60000 on it without ANY problems other than the navigation system which always seemed to have us wandering in the ocean whenever we drove down I-95 in Florida. It was reliable, fun to drive, great looking, comfortable. We traded it in because we needed 4WD as we were about to move to AK in 2009. We loved it so much we bought a 2004 4WD 4-runner and splurged on a 2008 land cruiser ( both have been fantastic). And the 2006 that we traded in was bought by my father in-law. He was a little miff that we just didn't sell him the car in the first place so that he didn't have to pay the extra dealer mark-up.

heated seats, powered seats, powered rear window (our dogs loved this feature)

• SUV