Used 2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

LOVE this car
By tdtmd03

2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My wife bought this car new. We drove it for three years and put about 60000 on it without ANY problems other than the navigation system which always seemed to have us wandering in the ocean whenever we drove down I-95 in Florida. It was reliable, fun to drive, great looking, comfortable. We traded it in because we needed 4WD as we were about to move to AK in 2009. We loved it so much we bought a 2004 4WD 4-runner and splurged on a 2008 land cruiser ( both have been fantastic). And the 2006 that we traded in was bought by my father in-law. He was a little miff that we just didn't sell him the car in the first place so that he didn't have to pay the extra dealer mark-up.

Favorite Features

heated seats, powered seats, powered rear window (our dogs loved this feature)

Quality SUV-But Has Quirks
By okmarshal

2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Have owned this vehicle for 18 mos. and overall have really enjoyed it. Have previously owned 3 Explorers, 2 Bronchos, & 1 Cherokee & this beats them all hands down. The sound of simply shutting a door tells you it's built better than the American SUVs. Gas milage is better, the ride is smoother & you just feel safer riding in it. The only drawbacks are quirky things such as; Non-lighted & oddly placed door switches, beverage holders that don't seem to fit anything, only (1)12V power outlet that goes dead when ignition is turned off, so you can't charge anything overnight, Zero foot or storage room under seats, remote that lowers back window but doesn't raise it back up??

Favorite Features

Rides & handles great(for an SUV),solid braking(compared to Ford), stylish, quality-built, above average gas mileage for an SUV(18/21), dual- zone temp controls, leather heated seats, dual trip meters; (1)Tot. trip, (1)each fill-up, high towing capacity, JBL 6 disc CD unit, & auto headlights.

Suggested Improvements

Delete low tire pressure light that stays on constantly under 40 degrees??? Change door security lock 'Beep" you can barely hear by a busy/noisy street, add coast function to cruise control, add keyless entry (Exclusive to Ford to date). Note: Not as much cargo area as Explorer(44.5 cu. ft. vs 48).

Like riding on air
By rodney

2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have been more than pleased with the comfortable ride provided by my 4Runner. This is by far the most comfortable ride I have experienced from any vehicle I have ever owned. The brakes are a bit nimble, but other than that the vehicle is like riding on air. There is very little noise from exterior extremities, with the exception of a heavy rain. Very little noise, and handles potholes better than I expected.

Favorite Features

Turning headlamps provide saftey for rounding blind curves. The heated seats are a plus for the winter months, and the climate control are a must for my wife and me. She cannot stand cold temperatures.

Suggested Improvements

I would love to see Toyota develop hybrid engine technology for the 4Runner.

I love this car!
By 4Runner Lover

2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had this car just a little over a year and I absolutely LOVE IT as much today as I did when I bought it. It drives so easily. I say it drives "electric" because that's the only way I can describe it. I have not had any trouble with my 4Runner at all except for that stupid tire pressure light coming on, especially when it's cold outside. However, it's been on ever since I took it to the dealership 2 weeks ago. That seems to just be some problem Toyota can't seem to fix.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, sunroof, radio controls on steering wheel, bright headlights, easy folding back seats, tight suspension, rubber floor mats.

Suggested Improvements

Either make the tire pressure light work or just get rid of it. I am so paranoid that one of my tires is going flat at all times.

Lousy Transmission
By Jay Alan

2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck after having a 2002 GMC Envoy. Since I bought this truck, I've noticed the vehicle shifts up or down harshly and at the wrong speeds. When the ac is on, the idle is so high that the truck seems to drive itself. Coming off the highway, the car lurches forward when you're merging onto a new road. Very disappointing and can't wait to get rid of it.

Favorite Features

The AC Charger outlet.

Suggested Improvements

Wider track, softer ride, a real transmission.